Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HS2 Questions.....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yuccaman, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, after deciding on an E30, I'm now seriously considering the HS2 instead....

Couple of questions for the experts:

1 - The lip-sync problem....

I've read quite a bit about this, more so with Telewest cable boxes but I think it's also been reported with Sky... I'll be connecting it up to a V2 Sky+ box. Anyone had problems with these in tandem ?

Also, does havng a MultiRegion HS2 seem to cause the issue more ? Not bothered about getting a MultiRegion model as it won't be my main player, but if the MultiRegion version suffers more, I'll ensure I get an R2...

Something I think I've read is that the sync issue only affects the HS2 when watching live pictures whilst the unit is switched on. Is that so ?

2 - Connection question....

Set-up will include Sky+ & a Panny S75.... I may want to copy some DVD's / DVD-R's onto the HDD, I understand I can't copy from the Drive to the HDD from the HS2 itself...

As I don't want to unplug / plug Scart cables to do this, how much quality loss would I suffer if I used the S-Video Option ?

I presume I'd be able to select the Input source on the HS2, RGB Scart OR S-Video for recordings ?

PS - I know I won't be copying commercial disks using this option cos of MacroVision or CG whatever you call it :)

3 - Where to buy from ?

Lastly, any recoomendations for good / cheap retailers for the HS2 ?

Digital Point appear to be cheapest I can find. Electrical Discount are reasonably cheap and offer an extra years warranty...

Any opinions on either of these, or alternate recommendations ?

Thanks in advance....

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I have a muli-region HS2

I only notice the lip-synch when viewing $ky via the unit. Once recorded, lips are synched during play back.

One cannot record from a DVD or DVD-R to the HDD using the 2's DVD drive. DVD-RAMs will of course record onto the HDD if required.

To copy from an external DVD one would have to use a (n external) unit that disables Macrovision (assuming it was a commercial disc that one was attempting to duplicate).t If attempting to record a commercial disc via the AV inputs a message appears on screen to explain that recording is not allowed.

Recording from external inputs is a cinch - I've spent the last month archiving my VHS and Laserdisc collection onto DVD.

I bought mine from Digital-Point (~£550), my order was placed before 13:00 and the unit was deliverd the next day.

I have no experience of $ky+ use with the HS2, as I've no intention of getting one.

3. firetrax

firetrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang Panasonic customer support and they said that the lip-sync issue is a known problem with Sky boxes and not a fault with the unit (of course!). They said that it is less of a problem with Freeview boxes.

4. firetrax

firetrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also - couple of other questions if I may...

1. Does anyone know if Panasonic are offering any kind of "fix" to the lip-sync problem.

2. What is the difference between the Ext-link 1 and Ext-link 2 settings on AV2?

Thanks

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lip synch problem does not occur on loopthrough.The HS2 is ideal for copying stuff from Sky+ then editing to perfection before dubbing to dvd-r.
    A Macrovision remover may not work,its CGMS digital copy protection that also prevents dvd-dvd copies,but there are leads available for this.

6. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's what I was hoping phelings....

I doubt I'd ever watch anything whilst copying it to the HS2.. Watch it on Sky+, and then copy if I want to edit & dub to DVD-R...

One other question... Will the HS2 record an NTSC signal automatically, or can I set it manually to do so ?

I sometimes get DVD-R's from a mat in the US with TV shows on them and would like to make copies for some other people...