HS2 or E50/Pace Twin combo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Zooty, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

This is my first post to this forum, but I've already gleaned lots of useful information from it. Like a good newbie I've searched the archives and have pretty much convinced myself that the HS2 is what I want from the eternal debate of HS2/E100/5100/RD-XS30 - should I go down that route.

The situation at the moment is:
    - Ancient TV (RF input only!)
    - VCR (2 scarts - unused)
    - Analogue feed only
    - Stereo output via VCR through hi-fi

Over the next 12-18 months the plan is to update to something all-singing, all-dancing.
    The top priorities for immediate purchase are:
    - something that does time-shift recording (essential with young baby!)
    - something that plays DVDs (21st century here we come)

To come later: top notch telly and Freeview

My first thought was the DMR-E50 which does exactly what I need. But after some further thought, it would be nice to have the much greater flexibility a HDD solution offers, namely recording while watching a (different) DVD.

So I've narrowed it down to the HS2 or to stick with the E50 and get a Pace Twin. The latter works out a bit cheaper and has the added bonus of Freeview. Now, I have read the Freeview forum and seen all of the negative comments about the Twin... :) But leaving those aside is there anything major that one solution offers over the other? As far as I can tell they'll both do the same thing for me. Am I missing anything obvious? Also, are there any problems I'll run into connecting everything up? I believe it all should work by RF and then by SCART/RGB when I get a better telly.

If I go for the HS2 then I will eventually require a dual tuner Freeview box - are there any on the market other than the Twin?

Thanks for your help. Here's to a much improved viewing experience this Christmas!

Cheers,
    Zooty

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Go for the HS2, great kit.
    Why not buy two different brands of Freeview, this will let you watch the second box whilst recording the first and no remote inteference problem,
    The Packard Bell box I use can be set to output RGB, S-Video and composite but not RF, this will be an issue until you update your TV to one with Scarts or make sure of the RF output(modulation).

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 is great,but I think your first priority should be a new tv.With no Scarts how will you connect anything up.Most(if not all) dvd recorders do not have RF outputs,and if you are going to connect to the vcr then connect that to the tv,it will actually be a while before the 21st century arrives in your house.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with Phelings. (I do sometimes :D ) I would get your all singing all dancing TV up and running and then you could sell the house and buy an H2. :D

Seriously: Good TV and then the H2 and you will be in the 21st century for sure......

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The Pace Twin is brilliant

6. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Get yourself a decent TV! Don't strangle your home cinema experience.
    In a few months time you'll be able to buy a DVD recorder as the prices will surely have come down quite a bit by then.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HS2 and Panny TUCT-20 or similar is great, Or E50 and Twin again superb! (HS2 and Twin :) Oh my god!)
    Also look at www.pvruk.co.uk for msome more info.
    If cash is short then the Humax PVR-8000T and E50, not as highly specced as the other options but just over £400 if you shop around!!!!:D
    PS if TV has RF in only not sure that E50 will output DVD on RF mate. Perhaps a new TV and freeveiw box should be top of the list, as it would be a real bummer to buy this and find you can record but not watch the channels.

8. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to check up on the spec of the E50. I know the HS2 has RF output and I just assumed the later models would do too. Panasonic don't seem to have the manuals for the UK spec E50/E60 online :confused:

As stated, top priorities for now are time-shift recording and a DVD player. Besides which, I can't afford the TV right now and it's a purchase which is going to take a lot of research and investigation.

I'm well aware I won't be doing any justice at all to a machine like the HS2 but at least I'll have a great bit of kit for when I do get a new TV. Anything I do buy is going to last me a long time. I'm not into buying throwaways, nor am I the type who must have the latest technology. I just want quality kit that I'll get my money's worth from.

I'm not too fussed about Freeview at the moment. It would just be a bonus with the E50/Twin combination. I'll probably have to fork out for a new aerial anyway, so I'm quite prepared to wait.

Thanks again - the HS2 is edging ahead :)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If freeveiw is not a major concern then an HS2 is superb and at £550 MR cant be beat!!! might be worth buying sooner rather than later as rumours about that it might be discontinued! But if you waited you might find a Digital version of the HS2 coming out so might be worth waiting for!

10. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
  11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    An HS2 with digital tuners!

12. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the HS2 has an RF output socket for looping through for the internal tuner,I don't think it actually outputs an RF signal for viewing.Although it is mentioned in the manual,it is very unclear on how to view,and there is no mention of what RF channel to set your tv to,and the specs at the back also make no mention of RF output in the 'video' section

13. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Page 15 of the manual shows an RF only setup. The specs mention RF converter output (Ch 21-68), which I take to mean more than loop through. Although you're right it doesn't make any mention of what RF channel to use.

14. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any expected release dates of digital DVD recorders (any reputable brand)?

15. Zooty

Zooty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Replying to my own post, but I've had coffee now.
    P19 of the HS2 manual has the instructions on changing the RF output channel (under the heading "Removing Interference").

Zooty

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO dates yet but they are inevitable but for Sky and cabke users pointless really

17. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    OK, so perhaps it was a stupid question :rolleyes:

Then again, that's why we have these forums isn't it?:)