1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2 or AE-100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Canary_Jules, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Hi all! My Sony SC50 got knocked over a couple of weeks ago and when it was switched on I got 3 images in the component colours - the panels must have moved. Anyway, the insurance have informed me that they are sending a guy round from Miller Brothers to decide whether it can be repaired or should be replaced. It is uneconomical to replace and it can't be repaired. So, I guess he will suggest a replacement. I checked the Miller Brothers web site and they only sell 2 projectors - the Sony HS2 and the Panasonic AE-100. I can't decide what I'd ask for if I was given a choice between these two so what do you think? To be honest the possible reliability issues with the Panny concerns me.

Thanks

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on your insurer.
    If your cover specifies "new for old" then you're looking at an equivalent model - which may be neither of these two. Doesn't matter which miller bros stock, it matters what the replacement cost or replacement item specification is.

If you end up with a better projector then I wouln't complain :)

If you look like ending up with a worse one, then now is the time to say - hang on - this unit is more similar .....

I've seen a lot of posts about the AE100 blowing up. Kramer posted the other day that it "wasn't of saleable quality" or something similar.... That doesn't sound so good. I would look into that carefully.

I don't know enough about your knackered unit but another option might be to try and get them to get you something like an HS10 if you make a payment to them because of the improvement in performance. Sometimes they will do that.

Cheers
    J

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I spoke to Miller Bros Insurance services today and they said that I should get a good deal out of this because they give a discount off the retail price. Also, they said that I am not restricted to what they have in stock. So an HS10 could well be possible even though they don't sell them through their stores. May be I should even spin it out until the AE-300 arrives! Or is the HS10 a better machine... there's one to debate until the cows come home.