1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2 is here... but problems recording RGB! Help please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Oct 21, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my HS2 arrives... I have had a quikc gander through the manual and set-up is pretty much complete.

However, I do not seem to be recording an RGB signal from my Telewest box for some reason.

Basically this is my connections;

TELEWEST RGB -> HS2 AV2
    HS2 AV1 -> TV AV1 RGB

The Telewest STB is set to output RGB, and the HS2 AV2 is set to allow RGB input, and set to NORMAL as per the manual.

When the HS2 is in the "off" position, a Telewest RGB signal is displayed via my TV perfectly, suggesting that the connection & settings are OK. It is only when I turn the HS2 to the "on" position, and watch the Telewest signal through the HS2, or record it, that it show what appears to be a very bad RGB singal similar to that of Composite.

Can anyone help? Thanks if you can, 'cause this one has been driving me mad for the last 2 hours with disconnecting cables, reading the manual, reconnecting cables etc!

:confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Just checking the obvious but do you have AV1 set to RGB as well? It's in the same menu: Functions/Setup/Connections.

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep; AV1 is RGB out...

The strange thing is that my only connection of Telewest is through the HS2, and when off it displays RGB... but when the HS2 is on an AV2 selected it's a bit, well, crap really... :confused:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    That would be consistent with the HS2 being either setup wrong or faulty given that when it is off it's just looping through regardless of settings inside the HS2. As there isn't much you can actually alter in the setup (other than the connections you have tried) it suggests it may be a faulty machine :( Contact your dealer and ask for a replacement.

To an extent here I feel I offer you an apology - I told you (or someone) that Panasonic were a reliable company offering reliable products. Given the increasingly common problems posted here re the E50 and HS2 I am beginning to wonder.

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PANIC OVER!!!

Rasczak; I still trust you and your judgement - and so far I am delighted with the HS2 (touch wood!).

Seems that my reading of the addendum about connecting an RGB source I took as 'read'. While it referred to Sky, I assumed Telewest to be (much) the same - changing the setting from "Normal" to "Decoder" has cured the problem and I am now enjoying an RGB recording!

Thanks for the response; but don't stray too far from that PC of yours... I am sure there will be more Q's to come! :)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Glad the problem is solved. Didn't realise that would affect an RGB input in such a way (but then I use Sky not Telewest).

Not until Saturday I beg you. I'm on my laptop connected to the internet with GRPS. Not a bad connection but I'll probably have to sell my house, car AND/OR HS2 to pay the damn phone bill when it arrives!