HS2 HDD to DVD-RAM & Back Again - Any quality loss ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Yuccaman, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Question for the HS2 (or E100) owners out there....

If I record somting onto the HDD, create a PlayList to filter out unanted crap, then dub to DVD-RAM to create a new, edited program, then copy back to HDD, will there be any quality loss....

I know I could use Partial Erase to achieve the same, but from the manual it appears you get better control (frame by frame) with play list edits than partial erase...

Still need to find the time to have a good play with the HS2 - Work sucks :(

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as you stick to XP on the HDD and RAM you should lose no visible quality.
    However,I have found partial erase to be just as accurate for editing.
    Once you have your edited programme ready to transfer to dvd,why would you want to transfer it back to HDD?Are you under the same misapprehension someone else once was,that when you transfer to RAM you are moving the recording to RAM.You are not.You are making a copy on RAM.The edited programme remains on the HDD.

3. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    phelings,

It was to cut out crap from the originally recorded programs, stuff from MTV & the like where I'll copy over a few hours of stuff and only want to keep a few videos.

I wanted to ensure I wouldn't be using up a lot of HD space with dross I didn't want to burn to DVD-R...

I'd be using XP for all the transfers....

I'm sure I read somewhere that Partial Erase did not give you frame by frame control over the start & end points.... If it does, then I'll be using that to remove the dross :)

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PE gives as accurate editing as HS2 can give.