1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS2 flicker problem?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Nov 1, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone shed any light on this;

When watching an RGB signal (Telewest) through the HS2 A2 channel, when a scene changes from a light image to a (much) darker image the screen flickers somewhat; by flicker I mean it sort of flashes just for a split second instead of a totally smooth transition.

The problem is evident on simply watching through the HS2, and on recordings made from the source.

Does anyone know what causes this - perhaps a settings problem, or indeed, if as I suspect it is a fault of the HS2?

TIA!

2. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TP2K,

I get exactly the same problem and I'm also using Telewest. Problem is not there when the HS2 is switched off. Is your machine multi-region modded?

3. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching a Telewest signal with the HS2 off (though it is looped through) the problem is not evident; so it suggests something to do with the HS2 processing the image in anticipation of recording.

A little more research this last 30 minutes has shown up some possible reasons - one of the most obvious being HDD fragmentation.

In theory this does sound possible - the older programs (ie my first few recordings) on the (previously empty) HDD don't seem to suffer the problem; it only seems to be now, with the disc nearing capacity it has become evident/worse.

Of course, if you consider the fact that when 'watching though' the HS2 and not recording the flicker is still evident, it does somewhat blow this theory out of the water! :confused:

...still searching...

4. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds plausible, but my HS2 is almost new and I'm nowhere near capacity on the hard disc.

I seem to remember someone experiencing a similar problem here but with a an E50. Unforunately I can't remember what the solution was!

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, that was the one, seems like I couldn't remember the solution beacause there wasn't one!

Sounds like we're not alone with this. Does anyone know if it's a common problem?

If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful as it's driving crazy!

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just a long shot. Perhaps reducing the contrast output from the telewest box will have an effect, if this is possibe at all. Seems like the flicker is caused by a large variation on the input signal to the HS2 scart. Sky boxes have a contrast setting which I think has the effect of changing the RGB voltage levels from the scart.

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed the same type of problem when I first used RGB from DVD instead of S-video.Trial and error shows it seems to be evident on RGB with a high contrast setting.Its a small price to pay for the high contrast RGB pictures I prefer,but messing about with brightness and contrast can eliminate it.

10. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think, with Telewest, we're able to alter anything more than simply "Composite" or "RGB" settings...!

Maybe RGB -> S-Video could be the way to go...

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    :eek: You could cut your head off if you got toothache but I wouldn't recommend it! If your this desperate you can always contact a store such as:
    www.lektropacks.co.uk
    ...or:
    www.keene.co.uk
    ...and explain your problem. They will be able to point you in the direction of stabilisation/colour control devices. Probably cost around the same as an RGB-to-S-Video conversion as well. But you really should not need it!

Out of interest what Scart leads are you using to connect you kit up? You should have invested in some decent leads, e.g. the QED AV21. Good solid leads are always the first step to eliminating problems.

I can assure you fragmentation of the HDD is not going to effect flickering when watching a signal passing through the HS2! It could potentially cause 'issues' for playing back/recording but if you format your HDD when clearing it out (you can always store stuff on RAM disks whilst doing this) as opposed to erasing all programmes then you won't have any problems.

12. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sent my e50 to Panasonic regarding this problem.

Got it returned after a couple of weeks, with a nice letter, saying there is no fault.

But of course, there is.

Using individually screened expensive cables.

Hopefully going to try it with a different Digibox soon.

Oh, altering the SKY boxes contrast settings made no difference.

13. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My leads are Thor manufactued... yeah, I know... :rolleyes:

Might be an idea to invest in some more; they've suited me in the past and have just come along on the ride so to speak...

I didn't think the fragmentation would really be an issue since as you say with simply watching there is no HDD involvement, but it was cited on another site and was more or less one of the only possible causes.

Interesting they say there's nothing wrong; it's clear that a great many people are noticing this effect if you follow my links above. Disappointing to hear that you're using decent cables, and a different source to cable and you're still having this issue - seems it's not going to be an easy one to sort out.

Out of interest, how many users (if any) are viewing on a 42" RP or PDP??? I wonder if the larger image is having an effect on greater noticibility for me??? (Here I go again... clutching at straws as an excuse for fault!)

:)

14. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't have any problems with an E50 and Nokia 221t freeview box when viewing or recording RGB on a 44" Sony RPTV.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    Liewise - no problem with either the E50 or HS2 (both hooked up via RGB) on a 42" Hitachi 3000E Plasma or when viewed through Sony VW12(HT) projector.

16. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I'm using pretty good quality scart leads (they certainly weren't cheap!) and watching via a Panny 6 series plasma.

I'm on the point of moving all my A/V equipment to a new rack and am thinking about a scart to VGA converter from JS technology for cable which will enable me to connect all sources via component (the amp will do all the switching).

I'll let you know if this makes a difference.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Cheers

17. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much my setup then aside of some decent leads! Out of interest, is your HS2 multi-region, Rasczak?

18. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TP2K, Good question about the HS2 being multi-region. I don't know why but I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be something to do with the problems we're experiencing.

My HS2 is multi-region.

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    No - it's not multi-region. I don't use it as a DVD player only a recorder so didn't invest in a MR mod. Maybe this is an issue?

20. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    New, significant information regarding this problem.

Took the e50 round to my uncles this morning, and hooked it up to his Panasonic Digibox(how quick are the menus on those then btw).

Worked fine. Sat watching it for 30 mins for any instance of the problem. Nothing.

This looks like its ruling out any MR mod induced issue, and leaves some compatibility problem with only certain set top/digiboxes.

While this helps, it leaves me with more unknowns. Should i try and source a second hand digibox? Do i know which ones are ok, apart from a panasonic? If i get rid of the e50 and get a SONY GX3/7 will that still have a problem, if my Amstrad digibox is ultimately the source of the problem?

I was getting to quite like the e50's menu/os, seemed nice and friendly. And i really liked manual skip.

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    It's a possibility although I thought they were all built to a standard spec? Still for the purposes of working out what/works doesn't work I have no problems and am using Pace Sky+ Version 1.

22. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very interesting, and of course consistent with Panasonic's reply to your fault claim. Doesn't yeild much for us who have incompatible products unfortunately. :(

Anyone care to guess what the liklihood is of being able to rectify the problem with an image stabiliser or similar? If, as suspected, my Pace Telewest STB has compatibility issues with the HS2, will interception via another unit sort the problem?

23. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting that it should work with a Panny digibox...

I wonder if there's any mileage in trying to get Telewest to swap out the box for a newer model (I believe there's a new silver one available).

24. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I referred to adjustment of brightness and contrast above,I meant change the settings on your tv .

25. dpiper

dpiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm having the same flicker problem with the HS2 on a RGB connection to a Sky Digibox. I really notice it when there is a quick change from a light scene to a dark scene or a quick change from a black and white to a colour scene. It's really annoying and spoils an otherwise great recording. I was watching the BBC recreation of the Pompeii eruption and everytime ther was a lightning flash there was a flicker/screen tear - infuriating! It occurs on both Hard Disc and RAM recordings or on
    loop-through when the HS2 is switched on.

I know a number of others are experiencing this and would like to know if anyone has resolved it with a fault repair or had success getting a replacement from their supplier.

Is it worth ringing Panasonic Customer service of will they just refer me back to my supplier (in Cornwall!)

Any thoughts

Dave

26. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dave,

No further forward yet I'm afraid. Too busy at the mo' to do anything about it, but hope to try a Freeview box at the weekend.

Interesting that you should find the same problem with a Sky box - for a bit it looked like it may be a Telewest STB issue. Is your HS2 MR modded?

27. Tee Tee

Tee Tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've now tried the HS2 with a Freeview box (Pace DTR-210T) and the flicker problem has totally disappeared - better picture than Telewest as well!

28. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I had exactly the same problem with the telwest digbox (PACE) and an E50. I returned mine coz it was doing my head in.
    I think it is sounding more like a compatiblity issue between the telewest box and the panny recorders.
    Azzo.

29. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately a compatibility issue; I get it with my set-up, and tried out my bedroom Freeview STB last weekend with the HS2 - and it recorded perfectly.

30. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another nail in the coffin for Telworst appauling services.
    Azzo.