HS2 Finalization Errors

M

mikescollan

Just got two finalization errors on the trot.
Transferring approx 1hr45mins and 1hr50mins, recorded from TV in SP mode and burnt using FR mode.

Previously no problems. Media has not changed.
Using budget proffesional from bigpockets.

Have I just been lucky before or am I doing something wrong?
Any suggestions as to remedial actions?

Disks play fine on HS2 but not on my backup (Pioneer) DVD player.

Regards,
Mike

If it is not finalised it will only play so many times before all the available space is used, as it assumes every time it is inserted that further recordings are to be added.
I suggest you create another copy on more reliable media.

Slightly off the topic,but why record on the HDD in SP when you plan to transfer to dvd?Why did you not do it at XP?

Phelings,
Can only get 1hr at XP on a DVDR, and as most films are circa 2 hours there seemed little point in recording to HDD in XP mode.
I'm guessing, but don't think there would be much difference between SP and FR rate for a 1hr 45min film?

KenFowler,
Is this a problem with the media then? I only ask as it is the forst failures in lots (c25 disks) from the same batch. Is there any recovery available for these failed finalizations? The menu option is not available anymore. Is there something I can do to minimise the risk of getting these errors in the future?

Regards,
Mike

Originally posted by mikescollan
Phelings,
Can only get 1hr at XP on a DVDR, and as most films are circa 2 hours there seemed little point in recording to HDD in XP mode.
I'm guessing, but don't think there would be much difference between SP and FR rate for a 1hr 45min film?

Maybe, maybe not but you've still more to gain recording it in XP mode in the first place...like being able to watch it in it's best quality (i.e. identical to the orig broadcast) from the HD.

I always record in xp if I am going to archive, evem if it is 3 hours long, as the better the original quality, the better the subsequent dub will be, as some quality is always lost at re-encoding.

Media can be very variable, with 3 or 4 in the middle of a spindle of 50 failing and the rest ok. I have had discs that finalised but don't play correctly, you never know how good the result is until it is played back and checked.

You may only get 1 hour in XP on dvdr,but you get 9 hours on the HDD.The whole point is quality.Your HDD recording could have been in XP,so when you transferred to dvdr it would be better quality than transferring an SP recording.If the HS2 did a direct digital dub like some other machines,your SP recording could have been transferred to dvdr in SP at high speed with identical quality,but the HS2 does not do this,so you should always record on HDD in XP if you plan to transfer to dvdr

Hello again Phelings!

You've highlighted a question I've often asked myself.

I've alsways just recorded in SP on the HDD, and generally transferred onto DVD at SP as well, assuming it did indeed do a straight forward direct dub(admittedly at 1x speed).
I assumed this purely by the lack of any noticeable picture deteriation, and it's apparent ability to do this at higher speeds for RAM.
I've sometimes pondered whether it would be worse to record in XP, then dub in SP, as this would imply a second round of re-encoding from XP (which is great, but not the original quality) to SP.

I've not looked into this at all; where did you find out it doesn't do direct digital dubbing on to dvd-r?

Cheers

During many heated debates on various forums regarding the HS2 lack of high speed versus its usefulness on other recorders.If it was doing a direct digital dub from HDD-DVD-R in SP on both,there should also be a high speed option.This function is available on the E100 and other brands.And more techy minded people also pointed this out as a minus point for the HS2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom