Quantcast

HS2 Approved - Great news for the North!

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Whether or not HS2 is built the rail system in the north definitely needs much more investment.
Absolutely. I drive trains around on it all day, I don’t think people in the south have any clue how far behind the north has been left. It’s not just infrastructure either. We have a couple of drivers who used to work around London 20 years ago, and they’re saying the new trains we have just got are basically the equivalent of what they were driving back then.

The Midland Mainline electrification (London-Sheffield) was supposed to be completed this year, until it was put on hold and I think as far as it got was Kettering (obviously the work started in the South). Now the supposed date is 2033 when (if) HS2 links to Sheffield.

Going North from Sheffield station there is one line in and one line out. Until basic things like that are sorted then there will never be an on-time railway.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Absolutely. I drive trains around on it all day, I don’t think people in the south have any clue how far behind the north has been left. It’s not just infrastructure either. We have a couple of drivers who used to work around London 20 years ago, and they’re saying the new trains we have just got are basically the equivalent of what they were driving back then.

The Midland Mainline electrification (London-Sheffield) was supposed to be completed this year, until it was put on hold and I think as far as it got was Kettering (obviously the work started in the South). Now the supposed date is 2033 when (if) HS2 links to Sheffield.

Going North from Sheffield station there is one line in and one line out. Until basic things like that are sorted then there will never be an on-time railway.
But are you still having fun?!:)

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
But are you still having fun?!:)
Oh I love it! It’s just frustrating when you turn up late at a station and the general public think the service is crap, when in actual fact the reason i’m late is because I’ve been held at a signal to allow a late running Cross Country/LNER/TPE service past. People don’t want excuses, they (rightly) just want on-time trains and somewhere to sit.

As for the new trains, I’m on a training course on them this week and I love them too! The cab environment is a vast improvement to our other trains. Stock photo but this is the exact cab, they’re much nicer.

4A78E53E-47AA-414F-86BD-339E28F427DB.jpeg

Last edited:

InvisibleDuncan

But what should happen is that large car parks be provided at these stations, with electric car charging points. It should be free to use to rail travelers (or included in the cost of the ticket).
I live 8 miles outside Brighton, so I have to drive to Brighton station to commute into London. Parking costs me £1,200 for an annual season ticket, on top of the £4,980 for the train ticket.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Oh I love it! It’s just frustrating when you turn up late at a station and the general public think the service is crap, when in actual fact the reason i’m late is because I’ve been held at a signal to allow a late running Cross Country/LNER/TPE service past. People don’t want excuses, they (rightly) just want on-time trains and somewhere to sit.

As for the new trains, I’m on a training course on them this week and I love them too! The cab environment is a vast improvement to our other trains. Stock photo but this is the exact cab, they’re much nicer.

View attachment 1257616
Nice, what are the two phones for? Is one for normal and if the other one rings is it new trousers time? :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Nice, what are the two phones for? Is one for normal and if the other one rings is it new trousers time? :)
One is for talking to base, and one is for not telling the passengers what in the heck is going on even though we've been parked in the middle of nowhere for like ten minutes.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
One is for talking to base, and one is for not telling the passengers what in the heck is going on even though we've been parked in the middle of nowhere for like ten minutes.
Ah right, that makes sense. :)

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I had a whinge about HS2 six years ago, my views haven't changed since...

:(

hippo99

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1257616
Can your chair do this? :p
68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6.gif

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
We have guards on our trains, announcements is their job. :) Though I will do it if something has happened that the guard isn’t yet aware of. But yes, the GSM-R next to the screen is for external outgoing/incoming calls, the one to the right is in-train comms.

Yep, plus it reclines right back almost flat. :D

Pacifico

Distinguished Member

No, No - this is a real train cab :smashin:

Griff500

Novice Member
on the basis it provides a transport link that pretty much covers the length of the country
Did you not read the posts above? Have you ever looked at a map of the UK? Do you know how far it is from Birmingham to Aberdeen? I thought not. HS2 is just another case of UK tax payers pumping money into the Southern third of the UK.

Griff500

Novice Member
Anything I can find online states that you will indeed be able to get a direct train from Newcastle to London, where have you seen that you will have to change at Leeds?
Of course we can get a direct train from Newcastle to London. It's just not high speed. HS2 goes nowhere near the North of the UK. Take look at a map of the UK. Newcastle is only the middle! But I am sure you will be happy to accept contributions for all those wealthy oil people in Aberdeen for your South of UK vanity project.

TerFar

I'd rather they invested the £106B on some new technology such as maglev vacuum tube. HS2 is rubbish.

JSWolf

Isn't this a case of us only thinking of things happening in our own lifetimes?
I've never looked into benefits/drawbacks of HS2, but on the basis it provides a transport link that pretty much covers the length of the country, does that not aid future generations?

It's going to cost a hell of a lot of money, and by the looks of it cause major disruption up and down the country, but is that a small price to pay to open up England/Scotland, for the next generation and the next etc...?

Are people against the actual idea of HS2, or is it just the way its all been handled?
HS2 does not go into Scotland. It does not link up the north. It's a very small bit of track for a ludicrous price. The cost is not worth it. It is not bringing the UK together. HS2 is yet another torrie divide for the UK. Boris doesn't care about Scotland and HS2 shows this very well.

gfplux

It’s about time that money was spent away from the South East.

2pak

Standard Member
Biggest waste of money ever. NHS is going under , our roads are fooked come on better ways to spend money on things the country really needs.

zanc

There was a documentary some months ago about the company or government department set up to buy the properties etc that the HS2 will need in order to build the track and it was/is an absolute shambles with quite a bit of shenanigans going on if the reporter was to be believed.
Who is going to be able to afford use this train?
Rich commuters

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
Are people against the actual idea of HS2, or is it just the way its all been handled?
nothing you do with cost or how it’s being handled

it’s the total destruction of people’s homes that’s my gripe and i’m not included in that but know people and friends who are

Allan

beechy06

Not read all this thread but as a northerner I’m against this, money needs to be spent on improvements to existing lines / trains / stations across the North, i’m a daily commuter into Leeds and we constantly have late (or cancelled) overcrowded old trains

tommitch

Did you not read the posts above? Have you ever looked at a map of the UK? Do you know how far it is from Birmingham to Aberdeen? I thought not. HS2 is just another case of UK tax payers pumping money into the Southern third of the UK.
You got me there, I've never seen a UK map! :)
Of course we can get a direct train from Newcastle to London. It's just not high speed. HS2 goes nowhere near the North of the UK. Take look at a map of the UK. Newcastle is only the middle! But I am sure you will be happy to accept contributions for all those wealthy oil people in Aberdeen for your South of UK vanity project.
Well, it won't be high speed before HS2 is completed will it :)
HS2 does not go into Scotland. It does not link up the north. It's a very small bit of track for a ludicrous price. The cost is not worth it. It is not bringing the UK together. HS2 is yet another torrie divide for the UK. Boris doesn't care about Scotland and HS2 shows this very well.
Short term cost for long term gain
nothing you do with cost or how it’s being handled

it’s the total destruction of people’s homes that’s my gripe and i’m not included in that but know people and friends who are

Allan
Fair point - your solution?

amills2005smart

....only it doesn't get to the North!

When is Westminster going to realise that Newcastle is nearly 100 miles North of Leeds, likewise Sunderland, Carlisle, etc. And to get to Berwick upon Tweed, is another 60+ miles North again!

Basically, with all due respect to Leeds and Manchester etc. But they are not The North of England, there is quite a way to go before you reach The North!

...and then people wonder why the largest proportion of Brexit voters came from the North East - they feel ignored and maligned by Westminster; and the vanity project of HS2 simply re-affirms this - with The North of England, once again, being ignored by the politicians, who seem to think that The North goes as far as Yorkshire or Lancashire!

There are another two counties before you get to the Scottish border - and if HS2 was going to be done properly, it would have headed up to Glasgow and Edinburgh - not stopped in The Midlands!

[/rant]
It won't reach me in Leeds. It will stop at Birmingham due to funding issues/ rising costs / design issues / consultancy fees. You name it.

If they were serious about it, they would have started in Leeds and worked South, whilst London was finishing off Crossrail.

amills2005smart

Not read all this thread but as a northerner I’m against this, money needs to be spent on improvements to existing lines / trains / stations across the North, i’m a daily commuter into Leeds and we constantly have late (or cancelled) overcrowded old trains
Agreed, went for the train from Horsforth to Leeds City Centre the other week, as I was on a course in the city centre. Complete joke, trains cancelled, the ones that turned up were packed and ended up on a rail replacement bus (£550 call out fee and £40 an hour the driver of the coach told me).

Drove the next day and stomached the £14 parking in the Trinity Car park . :smashin: