HS2 and S Video question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nwgarratt, Aug 7, 2004.

1. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,116
    I have a Panasonic TUCT30 freeview on RGB scart to AV2 of the HS2. This is then attached RGB scart to a TV.

I have recently got a PTAE100 projector. Can I attach a cable from the HS2 S Video output to the projector and still get the freeview through the projector?

Or does it need S Video in and S Video out.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I think you shouled be OK with S-Video out.

Is there anything preventing you from trying it out for yourself?

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,116
    I am about to get a 5m cable and didn't want to pay for something that won't work.

I forgot about the HS2 setup. I have put the freeview on S Video and left the HS2 output on RGB. I still get a RGB picture on the TV (and it still looks the same as RGB - RGB). So, all I need to do is connect the S Video cable to the projector and put the HS2 onto S Video output.

I have a optical cable going to the amp so that takes care of the sound.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,898
    I agree with Kevo - I think it should work - although I haven't tried this particular configuration myself.

nwgarratt - is there anyway you can just try a cheap S-Video cable to your TV to test it? I fully appreciate the wish not to spend a fortune on long expensive cabling - I brought a £150 5m Scart lead - and then my setup plans changed meaning it is now still in it's box! A bit of a waste.

5. brichards

brichards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    u have to leave your HS2 on to get S video out but it will work.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,116
    I have managed to do a test.

I put the freeview box scart and HS2 AV2 input onto S Video. The AV1 output of the HS2 is still on RGB. The TV seems to cope and is in full colour. So, I don't need to keep changing settings when i want to switch to the projector.

I have found a cheap looking 1.5m cable and put it on the HS2 output and the projector. It involved moving the projector to where the screen is and putting the screen where the projector was.

The picture from the freeview and recorded HS2 programmes look extremely well and managed to be a lot better than the compoisite test I did yesterday (I know that isn't difficult).

I am watching Unbreakable right now on ITV and it is very watchable. I could easily get used to it.

I have just got a 5m cable on Ebay. I don't need a fancy cable and it has only cost me £6 inc postage. It has nice metal end connectors which I wanted.