Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HS2 and/or seperate DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DucatiEVO, Nov 16, 2003.

1. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the HS2 owners on here use their HS2's as they're main DVD player or do you have a dedicated one?

Just wondering as the HS2 is progressive etc, so sounds like it's pretty good. Or would a decent DVD only player be better?

Example HS2 and Pioneer DVD-717 or Just the HS2 for everything?

thx

:)

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The UK HS2 isn't progressive I'm afraid. Personally I use my HS2 for recording and an Arcam 88 for DVD playing.

3. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the HS2 for recording and a Pioneer 656 for playing as it offers DVD-Audio and SACD playback too

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Without wanting to hijack the thread - Phelings do you have any DVD-A or SACD disks yet? What's the quality/experience like? I'll be upgrading my DVD player soon and will ensure it has universal HD music playback but I hear comments ranging from DVD-A/SACD is the "best thing since Mozart" to "it's worse than CD".

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of each.However,the Michael Jackson Thriller disc was in stereo only.I don't know why,but I assumed the new formats would be all 5.1 .Unlike VHS with DVD,there is no improvement that jumps out at you.Although I have spoken to people who notice an improvement with SACD and standard side by side.
    I cannot even remember the DVD-A I bought.It was in 5.1 and thats all I noticed.I have Dark Side of the Moon on SACD in 5.1 and thats excellent.However,I have the 2 Queens Greatest Hits dvd in DTS,along with some other Police and Sting DTS cd's,and they are superb.Bohemian Rhapsody in 6.1 is a real spine tingler.Nothing on Vol.2 matches that.
    The mainproblem I find is lack of interesting titles on DVD-A and SACD.The Police albums have been done on SACD but are stereo only.Thriller said" playable on SACD players only" but new ones,including DSOTM seem to be standardising dual layer with one layer playable on ordinary players