1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hs10

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcus Wood, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've looked through a lot of HS10 threads, but I can't find the answers to these questions:

Can the HS10 function as a PC monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio with either analogue or digital inputs? To do this, can you use 1:1 mapping or do you have to get your PC to output a HDTV signal?

What connections - other than 15pin - do you get on the end of the 'PJ Multi' VGA breakout cable?

Is there a way to send the HS10 an RGB/Sync video signal? I live in the UK and I would need to send a SCART RGB/Sync signal from a digital satellite box (Sony Sky Digibox) AND connect it to an HTPC too.

Do you have to use a Sync separator/amplifier with a Sky Digibox SCART RGB output? I think you do with the 10/11/12HT.

Does the HS10 keystone correction work when displaying VGA and RGB/Sync? This is important for me as I'll have to use keystone.

Apologies if these questions have already been answered - I'm sure some of them must have been... somewhere.

Marcus

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    Kramer's probably you're man to answer those questions, if he can drag himself away from watching DVDs on his HS10;)

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes & no. It will accept 1368x768 & similiar resolutions, but only at 56hz (via DVI). Windows/DVD playback is fine but I (& everyone else AFAIK) can't get ANY games to run in 16/9. There's also a "pixel border" all round the picture, but nothing a little extra zoom doesn't cure.

The cable is a SIC-HS30. This isn't the supplied multi-cable. Don't have one, but the manual indicates just a 15pin D-sub (VGA) connector & 3.5mm stereo jack (audio perhaps??) connection.

The cable supplied has S-video/composite & component connectors.

Don't know yet. Will be looking into this myself shortly.

Again, don't know, but soon will!

Haven't tried either connection type yet, but it does work with digital computer so there shouldn't be a problem.

4. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Kramer,

Thanks for the info.

From what you've said I guess one way to connect a Sky box and an HTPC would be to convert the Sky RGB output to component and run that to the component connection on the back of the HS10. Then connect the HTPC to the PJ Multi 15 pin input.

Or you could convert the RGB to SVGA 15 pin, and use a 15 pin switching device (if such a thing is available - I don't know of one) to switch between that and the HTPC.

I think I'd have to use an analgue connection to my HTPC at the moment , because I only have 16 wires installed in my ceiling (at least three of which I'd need for Sky) and my understanding is that's not enough.

Some further questions:

Is the PJ Multi plug a standard computer plug, or is it a unique-to-Sony design?

How easy is it to switch between widescreen modes using the remote - do you press a button to cycle through the modes, or do you have to go into a menu, or can you use both methods?

Regards - Marcus

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    15 pin switching boxes are available from the likes of Maplin. Generally used for running multiple monitors from a single PC or vice versa.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unique to Sony AFAIK.

You can switch via on screen menus or there's a dedicated aspect ratio botton on the remote. There are also 3 (really 6) "user presets which will store all info for a source, inc. aspect ratio.

BUT, none of the widescreen options work with computer source via DVI, & I would assume similiar will occur with VGA.

Widescreen mode switching is ONLY available with S-video/composite/componant.

BTW, don't even consider "home making" a DVI lead - it's impossible! VGA is obviously a different story.

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    a little confused as I try and set my HS10 up this evening. I'm trying to put my iscan into HS10 but the HD15 - DVI connector I got with my Geforce 4 is a DVI-I which is supposed to carry digital and analogue signal. The input on my HS10 seems to be only for DVI-D (which doesn;t have the little 4 pins around the stand alone spade) and is supposed to only be for digital and as a result wont fit. If this is the case how does the HS10 take an analogue RGB signal.?? Hope you understand what I;m saying.. I assumed the PJ also had a 15pin connector on it..:(
    Is anyone using an Iscan (or similar) with HS-10 if so did you just use a DVI-D connector.? Desperately need help..:)

8. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry cant help with your query museumsteve. can i ask you where you got your HS10 from?

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    krishav in chiswick - £2300

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need a SIC-HS30 multi PJ breakout cable.

The DVI port only accepts DVI-D, at standard resolutions of 1024x768 @ 60hz etc... & 1366x768 @ 56hz.

The SIC-HS30 goes to the PJ multi connector on the PJ - the other end has a "standard" 15pin D-sub (VGA) connector.

AFAIK, it's the same cable that was available for the HS1.

DVI/VGA adapters ONLY work one way i.e. DVI >>>> VGA. You can't reverse the adapter so you get DVI from a VGA output.

;)

11. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Local supplier?

I am having trouble sourcing one , like the look of the price from unbeatable but none in stock:mad:

12. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    you're a star Kramer.:) thanks mate. the manual seems a little unclear on this. So I'm assuming I'll be able to use my DVI on PC to DVI on HS-10 and also use Iscan into multi connector..that's actually much better for me.
    Fingers crossed my local Sony centre has one tomorrow.;)

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: :blush: :blush:

Wouldn't mind trying VGA myself - out of curiousity you understand. Like to see how it handles different resolutions/refresh rates from Powerstrip.

Not easy to get DVI set either, but achieveable!

Here's my Powerstrip settings for 1368x768 @ 56hz. "Copy" the top line from Notepad etc.. & paste into Powerstrip. Reboot & apply - keep fingers crossed at this stage ;)

My CC40R arrived today - too tired to test it now, but tomorrow night - that's another story. Will post an update in my "HS-10" thread.

Best of luck with your new toy - a very wise choice sir, IMHO.

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    where are your powerstrip settings mate.?
    I've not seen DVI before..this machine looks better than my flat panel monitor at 1024x768..awesome..Ghost Recon will never be the same.:)

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Steve :clown:

Forgot to paste them from notepad - really should have been in bed hours ago.

Here you go.

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1368x768=1368,88,144,232,768,1,3,30,82280,3094

Generic timing details for 1368x768:
    HFP=88 HSW=144 HBP=232 kHz=45 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=30 Hz=56

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1368x768" 82.280 1368 1456 1600 1832 768 769 772 802 -hsync -vsync

I've not gotten ANY game to run in "widescreen", & neither has anyone else AFAIK.

The "Animusic Demo" (DX9) looks awesome with 6x AA & 16x Aniso. Pity no "wide" yet :(

It's DVI's fault - PJ talking to PC :mad:

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    thanks mate. I just got up cos I cant sleep so I may have a bash in a mo.
    I need to get to grips with powerstrip so no time like the present.:)

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    anyone actually been able to source the multi-plug to VGA.? NIghtmare trying to find one and the Sony centres, even though most stock the HS1/HS2 which has the same cable, talk to me as though I;m stupid when I ask if they actually stock the damn things..

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    thanks mate..checked them out and 2 out of 3 are saying expected in stock around 2nd Feb..:(

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Try the Cardiff or Bristol Sony centres and if they have one I'll pick up for you and post.

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Thanks for the offer mate.:)
    Apparently Sony Centres say it is not a retail item, I even rang the London Central Sony Centres. I was rather hoping to have one this weekend so I could finish setting PJ up but guess I'll have to do that 'orrible thing and 'wait'.:(

22. FRP

FRP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appologise in advance for coming across as very dim.

I have read all the threads on these timings settings, and have successfully created a new resolution.

However, once the PC reboots and comes back into Windows, I cannot apply this resolution. The max res of the monitor still shows 1024x768.

Is there some other configuration I need to do.

1. I used powerstrip to create a driver for the projector, and changed the max res to cover the 1368x768 res.

2. I searched for hardware and directed windows to my newly created file. Driver was applied.

3. I user powerstrip to create the new timings, it said it would need to restart and then you can select them.

4. Rebooted the PC, but I cannot see how to now apply the new res. The max on the display properties is still 1024.

5. I must be missing a step here. (The projector is still showing no 21).

Help !!!

Thanks,
    Scott

23. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Try removing the tick from "Hide modes that this monitor can not display" under the Monitor tab in the advanced settings of the display properties

24. FRP

FRP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I checked that, but its already unticked.. :confused:

Scott