1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 with CC40R filter from Markatlarks

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I got my CC40R filter from Markatlarks (member of this forum) for £5. (Anyone interested can pm him here )

I removed the cinerma filter and stuck the CC40R on the outside of the protective cover over the lense. Got the settings for Bias and gain from the AVS forum (sorry folks, but I really would.t have a clue how to calibrate myself) and fored up the old HS10.

Well I was well impressed. I used the scene in LOTH FOTR where they enter the huge cavern before the Balrock (however u spell it) and firstly I was struck by the fact that the darkness really lost it blue tint and I;m sure that shadow detail was greatly improved. This may be a placebo effect, but I'm sure that I saw things that I never noticed before. Also in the scene where Frodo is being carried off after Gandolf falls, the view of the cavern from where those bad bas***ds (sorry, I really hate those guys) are firing arrows seems to go back into the distance forever. Before I fit the filter I think i remember that part of the screen was a murky blue haze. Also, to my eyes, colours seem much move vivid. I haven't noticed the obvious loss in brightness that the filter must also have caused.

Ok, so far so good. One problem is that on say the titles of a movie where I have white text on a black background I see a slight ghosting effect. I remembered seeing this on Kramers HS10 with the CC40R filter fitted to the front cover of the projector. Has anyone else come across this and if so is there any way around this without buying a propper filter to fit the lense. And lastly, if I do need to, wher can I get one of the propper filters on line.

Thanks

Conor

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Good review. Conor, the "ghosting" issue arises from the image passing thru' the protective cover and CC40R........... bit of a bummer. Can you get a glass colour correction filter, similar to Hoya and screw/fit it in the lens ?? Do you think it reduces light output significantly ? (assume you're in blackout conditions so it shouldn't matter.......)

Where did you attach the placebo ? :blush:

Keep the faith......

Sean G.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The CCR40 does knock back light output a bit to my eyes. On the HS10's I've done so far though I've prefered the image with the biggest filter in place over standard or 30.

Other folks bias and gains will not be accurate on another projector. Or if htey are it;s a fluke

Gordon

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I know, but they are alot more accurate than if I calibrated it myself:D I would not know where to start

Did a little tweeking of my own last night and needed to reduce the contrast form 80 to 67 and this improved the picture quality again but now there is a definate loss in brightness, particularly noticable when the desktop is displayed. Still very happy with the overall improvement. Now I must see about getting a glass filter that will fir over the lense. Anyone like to give me a link...greatly appreciated:smashin:

Conor

5. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Conor,

Great choice with the HS10 its a fab machine.

The filters are available from here...

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

As remember correctly the filter size is a 67mm plain screw in type and they are about £20 all in. Its a resin filter not glass but thats OK because it does its job very well.

SRB quoted me over £100 for a glass CC40R filter so you pays your money and makes your choice.

Klippie.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Excellent stuff Klippie :smashin:

I'll contact them on Monday.

Conor

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got a resin filter from srb, (I have in fact had both cc30r and cc40r although I sold the 40) and both exhibited a slight uneveness in focus across the lens when fitted, obviously not there with no lens (or the sony supplied one) fitted.

I'd be tempted by a glass one but £100 compared to £20........probably not that tempted;)

Just my 2p.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi John

I have my HS10 pointing down at an angle and as a result I notice that it is impossible to get all of the screen in focus at the same time. So I right-click in the center of the desktop and focus uning the menu that appears. It does not bother me in the slightest as it cannot be detected while watching movies. Is this what you are talking about and if not is what you are refering to noticalle while watching movies

Conor

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yep thats what I mean, its only really noticeable with text on the screen browsing etc, and mine is aligned with no keystone so its not an effect of that, its possible to alter the focus to get the top, middle or bottom in focus but not all at the same time but no I dont notice it when veiwing movies.