Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HS10 vs PT-L300u. Bought the Panny

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dawogboro, Mar 3, 2003.

1. dawogboro

dawogboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the US over the weekend and as I kew I was going to be going I decided to plunge for the panasonic PT-L300U, the idea being that if I didn't like it I could have my friend send it back and they refunded my credit card. I had already spent a weekend with the Sony HS10.

I spent the whole weekend watching DVDs and adjusting for my personel preferrence and the thing that swung it in the end for me was the cost and fan.

I felt I could get about equal performance from both projectors, although I felt the Sony needed a lot more calibration from default than the Panny. But nothing made me feel that the picture on the Sony was better than the panny or vice versa.

However, the fan on the Sony is definately louder, even though initially I did not have problem with this, its just that having used the Panny, it is definately quieter.

Finally I paid the equivalent of what the Sanyo Z1 is going for here in the UK and that included a 3yr warranty. I bought from projectorpoint who were kind enough to help me check for dead pixels, and I can confirm that there was none.

The bottom line for me and my advise to people deciding b/w both is that, If you have the fortune of being able to demo both, then of course go with the one you preffer, however if you can't I can honestly say that either one would be fine. Provided you get to see one of them, you can rest assured that the performance of the other wouldn't not be far off - all things being equal of course.

In any case in the final analysis the cost of the panny worked out cheaper by almost £900 from HS10 (Buying in the US was of course cheaper).

2. dawogboro

dawogboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting question, I think it would cost around £100. Fortunately for me I am in the states at least twice a month so its pretty much a non issue. But I do take your point. If I travelled to the states less frequently, then I would have had serious issues with going ahead with the purchase. Having said that though, I feel somewhat confident that I wouldn't have any reliability problems (touch wood). I have noticed that a lot of the post regarding this projector tends to be from people who are perfectionists complaining about minor PQ issues as opposed to any major reliability problems.