1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 upgraded to Infocus 5700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by reggs, Oct 25, 2003.

1. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I’ve just upgraded my much loved Sony HS10 to an Infocus 5700. I was holding out for an HS20 but thought I'd diversify :)
    Well, I honestly didn’t think that such an image improvement was possible, but I have been amazed :)

Most notable improvements IMHO …

Picture – Blacker blacks, much more vivid colour. Image appears to be far more solid. It is also a lot brighter and viewable with quite a bit of ambient light if necessary.
    Menu – Instant selection on all menus. My HS10 seemed to lag especially when searching for sources. It would always seem to jump to Memory Card input on switch on for some reason also!?
    Noise – Whisper quiet. I put up with my HS10 ceiling mounted immediately above my head for the past few months. It was such a fabulous picture that I just put up with the buzz of all those fans. Well, there is still a noise with the 5700 but it is about two thirds less than the HS10. Seems to be the picture wheel and not the fans BTW.

Downsides – Not many at all, really just installation differences.
    I’d buried a very long DVI cable in my wall to run my HS10 from my HTPC which is in another room. The 5700 has a P&D connector on the back which also carries USB signals and the like. Basically the plug isn’t your standard DVI, so I also had to do quite a bit of research in order to see if I could use the same cable. Eventually I managed to purchase a DVI to P&D adapter from Farnell (£4.15) to continue using the same DVI cable. BTW - Ordered at 7pm at night and with me the very next morning with free delivery! - Farnell - What a change around in that company hey!

Also, I had to modify my home made projector mount slightly in order to reattach the 5700. Its screw positions are in slightly different places. Thank god I spent £20 on my moded TV stand projector mount instead of paying £200 for an over engineered one :clap:
    The AC power socket on the back is a standard 3 pin PC socket and not the figure of 8 sockett. This just meant that I had to amputate the old plug and transplant a newly severed 3 pin plug from an old PC lead. I don’t think you can buy these plugs separately.

All in all, I’m in absolute video heaven again (for the next few months of course). My HS10 is now on a well known auction site
    :)

2. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    reggs,

Is the Infocus 5700 a 16:9 or 4:3 PJ, its just that I wondered if you had noticed any difference in clarity as the resolution of the HS10 and the 5700 is different. What size is your screen and how far is the PJ from it also your seating distance.

I hope to see the Infocus at the Scottish Hi-Fi and Home Cinema show next weekend.

Klippie.

3. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its a 16:9 projector and my screen is about 12 ft from the lens.

Just thought of one other thing. The HS10 has remote focus and zoom. On the Infocus they're manual. If you're not moving the projector around much, then this is not an issue and it actually stops me playing about with the zoom and focus just for the fun of it :smashin:

4. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, didn't answer the clarity question :blush:

Spec wise its slightly lower res than the HS10, but the picture leaves the HS10 standing with digital material via my HTPC. Maybe its the onboard chipset. I render to the native resolution anyway using Powerstrip.

It has Matterhorn native 16:9 chip on board and a Faroudja chipset provides ..... 'additional color enhancers, sharpness, and progressive
    scan, so you’ll enjoy a smooth view with virtually no scan lines or flicker' ..... according to the manual.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1280x720 from DLP is at least equal to (probably better) the HS10's 1366x768 res.

Glad you're happy with the upgrade ;)

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yeah, but isn't the 5700 a matterhorn chipset with a resolution of 1024x576?

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: Yep, assumed it was the 7200 :blush:

Lot on my mind at present - hence the lack of posting :(

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Just imagine what a (my :) ) Z10k is like then :D

9. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Reggs.
    could you give me the farnell stock number for that M1 to DVI adapter please, I am looking for same. Does it give you DVI male or female?

Thanks

Jim

10. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sure, here you go -
    3293907, £4.15, ADAPTOR DVI-D F TO P&D-D M, Manufacturer (Advertised) MOLEX

Its female (same as back of HS10) to male. BTW - Your minimum online order via an online credit card payment needs to be £10.

11. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Reggs