1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 - stupid question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr. Wilby, May 22, 2003.

1. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A bit of an odd one...

In this thread I tried to explain about my lounge/kitchen setup.

Basically, this is how it looks:

[​IMG]

The big black lines are walls. Sorry about the drawing but it doesn't need to be a masterpiece to convey my question :D

So I have two places where I can mount the PJ. One is on the back wall (or ceiling) and is the 4.4m I spoke of in my other post (from approx front of PJ to front of screen) and the other is inside the kitchen just behind the imaginary line of the wall (were it to continue towards the right wall).

What I'm wondering is how quickly the PJ's focal light path spreads out when it exits the lens? I assume with a long throw light the HS10 it is quite narrow at first (hence the ability to long throw)... I'm basically quite curious as to how far back into the kitchen I can mount an HS10 before the picture gets cut off by the wall...... with the goal of making it as far away as possible in order to reduce the noise annoyance factors!

The other option is to wall/ceiling mount in front of that wall I've shown, and then I'd have to shift my kit to the left a bit so as to avoid any keystone... The image will be smaller since its nearer the screen

This whole business is b****y tricky! (plus I have a grand piano to deal with which I swear I will make into firewood one of these days .... :devil: ).

Any thoughts/comments?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing a bit of trigonometry won't answer, but you'll have to "do the math" :)

Calculate your screen size & throw distance from p.....c.com & then the length of the "sides" of the resulting triangle. That should allow you to calculate the "spread" at any given distance from the PJ's lens/front.

:smoke:

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Suppose I should've thought of that.

Related question. How much does the fan noise drop off with distance? E.g. at twice the distance is it half the noise, i.e. linear or what? Any ideas? From what I can gather an HS10 above your head is a no-no...

4. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mr wilby
    there is also a very useful calculator on the yamaha site. if you go to http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/video/YamahaPrjCalc.exe

i ran both the hs10 and lpx500 with the screen size zoomed in to the minimum, the sony will zoom slightly smaller than the yamaha.

hope this helps

5. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Mr. Wilby

If you are interested I have my HS10 ceiling mounted 9.5 feet from my screen it projects a 72" X 40.5" picture from this distance I sit right bellow the PJ and there is no screen door to be seen.

As for the noise it just does not bother me, others will disagree but when the sound track gets going I cannot here any fan noise at all.

I would go for spot 1 on your drawing, condensation and cooking vapours will not do your PJ any good I would keep it out of the kitchen if it were mine.

Klippie.

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi guys,

Klippie - yep, spot on about the kitchen placement. I think the only way I could have it in there is if I sealed it in a box somehow (and then I'd need more fans to provide air flow!).

Our cooker is over near the left hand side doorway so its not too bad, but still, its not something I would want to risk with £2k+ of PJ I suppose. I will have to have a long hard think about that.

Also, many thanks for the projecting measurement - I find PJ.central's calculator a little bit vague when it comes to the distances so its good to get some "real life" type measurements. Based on what you're seeing I can easily get a 2m image then at ~4.2-4m and not have to worry about screen door with the HS10. Great!

Webloader - many thanks for that link! Dead helpful. Is it just me or is Yamaha's UK website down/v. slow? I can never get it to load the LPX-500 webpage without timing out... :(

For me its now a toss up between HS10 & Noise or the Yam-500 and Screen Door.

Still too hard to make my mind up...

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    The noise will be masked most of the time with the film soundtrack. The screendoor won't :)

You think you've got decisions :confused:. Mine is between MT8/HT1000 (£3-4k) or Barco Cine7 (£7k).

Any owners out there with or seen a Cine7 who would like to share their experiences. If so please post in my thread in the CRT forum. Thanks.

8. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi messiah

i dont think it is quite that simple! The lpx screendoor is more visible than the hs10. But the hs10 has an amazing lack of screen door, where as the lpx is slightly more visible. At my viewing distance though of 3m viewing a 1.5 screen though you cannot see it on the lpx unless you walk up to the screen. As i stated though in my review of the hs10 v lpx, the picture quality between the 2 units is hard to seperate, they each have pros and cons.

mr w, do you intend to use the projector as a tv replacement, or purely for 'big occasion' viewing, films etc?. Can you also control the light in your room?

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    What I meant was it may be easier to live with the noise of the HS10 than the screendoor of the lpx.

10. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi messiah..

its a tough call. the hs10 has noise and problems with black/gray which need filters and calibration to solve. this in turn reduces brightness which is not a problem in a dedicated HT environment with complete light control. In that particular scenario I do think it is better than the lpx. However the lpx has better colours, contrast and brightness out of the box, and is quieter, making it a 'better all round package'.

of course, different people apply different 'weightings' to different parts of the package, screen door, contrast, colour accuracy etc..

thats the joy of home cinema, the expenditure and the compromises last forever :-(

11. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We have a 32" widescreen TV and I'm not planning on getting rid of it, so this is just for DVD's and perhaps the occasional PC gaming session (but very unlikely at that).

We have blinds in all of the windows I mentioned and the idea is to get some (more) black out blinds as well from Ikea or somesuch to control the light even more.

I don't think I'll be able to get the room perfectly dark but a quick experiment just now (middle of the day here) with just the blinds that we have at present (no black outs) makes the room pretty dark. I'm sure it would be good enough not to worry... I think I might even rethink my blackout plans after just trying this!

12. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The sound energy from the projector will drop off inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the projector. Twice as far away, one quarter of the energy. :lesson:

But it's more complicated than that, due to reflections and the ear's non-linear response to sound energy (decibel scale anyone?). :confused:

Probably doesn't help, but what the hell! :D You'd better go and listen to it...