1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Silencing

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcus Wood, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got an HS10 recently, and a couple of days ago I got curious and tried to figure out where the noise was actually coming from.

If you put your ear next to the fan apertures on the front, not much noise comes from there. So I reasoned that the noise must be mainly coming through the case. By putting my ear against it,and turning it upside down, I came to the conclusion that the noise seemed to be coming mainly from the underside of the case.

So, while it was upside down, I tried putting a few magazines on the underside, taking care not to block the ventilation holes. Sure enough, this reduced the noise coming from the projector.

The reduction wasn't huge, but more importantly the character of the noise seemed to chaage, becoming less buzzy.

So I'm thinking that if I put some kind of soundproofing material on the bottom it could permanently reduce the noise. I saw some stuff that might be suitable at Halfords called Dynamat, which is intended to be put inside car doors to reduce noise transmission to the interior. The alternative would be material that's made for soundproofing PCs.

If you were prepared to take the top cover off, you could possibly put soundproofing material on the inside of it, however I'm not sure if there would be enough room for that (Kramer?).

I reduced the noise coming from mine just by taking it off the table it was on and putting it on the floor. I guess the noise tends to get transmitted to, and amplified by, the table.

I'd be interested to hear other people's comments on this.

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THat's interesting and fits into one of Kramer's posts a while ago - where he mentioned that he thought most of the mechanical noise seemed to be coming from a cage type fan fitted to the bottom of the case that sucks that air into the unit. The two front fans were for exhausting hot air out and don't make too much noise..

I still haven't built my hush box - I've been working elsewhere on the house - but one of the reasons that my HS10 is so noisy is probably because it's working upside-down all the time near the ceiling and therefore

a) projecting all it's noise at me
    b) getting warmer than usual because hot air rising from radiator heats it up anyway.

My setup at the moment is probably about as bad (for noise) as the HS10 is going to get.

I think the soundproofing idea might be a goer. How about if you made a kind of "tray" with an air intake and air pipe attached that fitted over the bottom of the HS10. Then you could wrap the whole unit in lots of layers of insulating foam / MDF / whatever and still manage to get air into the bottom through the pipe. You could even bring cool air in from a cool location and hence try to stop the fans speeding up anyway.

I think the approach to silencing the HS10 needs to be dual:

a) Feed it cold air such that it doesn't get tempted to speed up.

b) Wrap it in material to supress the mechanical noise.

When that is done, we shall see whether it is necessary to completely enclose the HS10, or whether you can get away with having the front exposed to vent the hot air into the room.

When I get time I am going to get on and build it....

J

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    One of the reasons why I went for the HS10 was it's long throw. This means that I can have it firing through a hole on the wall from the next room and just this weekend I put a sheet of glass across the hole and now the projector is barely audiable (how do u spell that word anyway?) It's just an ordinary sheet of 4mm glass and I haven't noticed any problems with picture quality (distortion, reflection etc.) Also, with this option, you can turn off the heat in the room with the projector to keep the fans running slower. However I am a little worried about the heat of the glass when the projector is running for a while. I don't know what heat glass needs to reach before it can crack, but I'm pretty sure that the projector will never get it to that temp.

For me, no matter how quiet the fan I would never go back to having a projector in the same room. No matter how loud your sound system is at, every movie has quiet bits when the fans can be a real distraction. I remember the moment I decided to move my last projector (Tosh MT3) out of the room. While watching that movie with A Jolie and D Washington (name of movie escapes me at the mo) I had to move the centre speaker to within three feet of my seating position to hear the dialogue.

Conor

4. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to give another opinion for any would be buyers that is worried about fan noise.

HS10 fan noise doesn't bother me one bit. Situated 4 feet above and two feet behind my sitting position.

Must stress though i am renowned for totally switching my self off when concentrating on a movie. Many a time the wife has had to raise her voice to ask me something when watching TV.

So basically if you are the type that gets totally immersed the noise probably wont bother you.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Comer,

Interested in the thru' the wall setup - how close is the HS10 to the glass ? is there sufficient room for the hot air to escape ? Any chance of heat build-up in the PJ ?

Question is relevant for me because of opposite issue with AE100 - hot air vented out the back, want a near-wall set-up.

How's the bulb issue, do you get failures at start-up as reported by Kramer and others ?

All the best,

Sean G.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Sean

The pj is right up against the glass mounted upside down and tilting down at a slight angle. Because the front of the HS10 is at an angle it makes quite a lot of space to allow the warm air to escape. The wall/glass gets fairlly hot on front of the projector but I have had no shut-downs and in fact it doesn't go into high fan mode very ofter (which would indicate that it's getting too hot) I think that the most important issue with this projector is to keep the air intake clear. I will post a picture tomorrow (left my camera at home).

If I do have problems I could always mount a small fan on the wall beside the projector.

Conor

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Sean

Here are the pics of the projector setup as promised

Conor

Attached Files:

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    And another:

Attached Files:

9. gecko

gecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Interesting thread as Comers solution to the noise problem is exactly what I’ve been thinking of doing with my HS10 but was concerned about heat build up at the front of the projector. I’ve measured the temperature of the front exhaust fan (the one on the left when viewed from the front) at various room temperatures with the following results (Cinema Mode/cinema black on):

Room Temp: 19 deg C (Too cold for comfort!) Exhaust temp – 35 deg C
    Room Temp: 25 deg C (Too warm for me!) Exhaust temp – 43 deg C

I started keeping a record of the temperature using a digital min/max thermometer because on two occasions the pj shut down due to overheating, the very first time I used it and then again the following week (I had it set-up on a coffee table and the underside vent was clear on both occasions it shut down). After 5-10 minutes cooling down it started up again OK and happily ran for four or five hours without further incident. It still concerns me that a new unit should be so temperamental but it’s early days yet so I’ll just keep an eye on it. Has anyone else measured their pj running temperatures?

Anyway, I was thinking of putting it in the adjoining room as I hope to keep the noise down and use some PC fans for extra cooling. I also wondered about using it in high altitude mode to keep it cool although this will only be an option when it’s in another room! Finally, does anyone know where you can get optically coated glass? Although reading the earlier message maybe this is unnecessary…

Any input on these comments would be welcome.

Cheers,

Steve.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Steve

Please don't trust my judgement as to there being no problems with using ordinary glass. I just decided to try the ordinary glass as it cost only a few Euro and I felt that I had nothing to loose. If it doesn't work out or I do notice reflection or distortion then I can look further. But I must say so far I'm very pleased with my very silent setup except I am a little concerned about the glass getting too hot...time will tell

Conor

11. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hello

I also project from another room with my HS10. I use normal glass to project through, but do get a lot of reflection back into the projection room. This doesn't distort the picture in anyway that I can see. I would have thought I would reduce brightness, but I can't see any change. The wall that I'm projecting through is about 4-5 inches deep, and I have the glass on the cinema room side to allow greater air circulation. I have not noticed any fan speed-up using the projector like this, but I don't know whether I would hear it anyway. ;)

I have never had a false start with my HS10 either.

Cheers

Rob

12. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish I could think of a way of getting my projector in another room :-( I'm still on track for my hush box idea once I get all my other jobs out of the way!

If you are using ordinary glass, you will get losses and reflections. I personally would look at getting a sheet of optical glass - even if it is not coated.

Look at the pilkington website - pilkington supply a super clear white glass. You will need to contact a glass supplier and specify the glass type that you want. It should not be a problem.

I haven't fuond a UK supplier for coated optical glass sheets yet but of course there will be one - your local odeon will have a projector window in the cinema glazed with it.

Try searching for "projector window" and see what you find...

John

13. gecko

gecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I guess optical glass will cut down on reflections so will be worth a try if it’s not too expensive - still not found a source as yet although Edmund Scientific in the States are supposed to sell it, but I couldn’t find it on their web site when I had a quick look (http://www.scientificsonline.com/). I’ll have a look at Pilkington when I get a chance John. Now I just need to decide where to make a hole in my living room wall and how big it should be… I suppose it needs to be just large enough to allow use of the remote and I plan to hide it behind a picture when it’s not in use. It’ll be a nice surprise for the wife (she’s not too keen on the idea) when she gets home from work on Saturday… That’ll teach her to leave me to my own devices at the weekend!

Steve.

14. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My HS10 had a problem with the DVI input, so I returned it for a refund yesterday. This was the second HS10 I had (the first one developed a dust blob). I think the second one was noisier than the first, and it was starting to annoy me. The problem is more the character of the noise than the volume - it's like a quiet chainsaw.

I listened to two others at Nexnix, but I wasn't sure whether they were any better. I thought maybe I should wait to see the Panny 300 next month, and see what that's like. I wouldn't rule out getting an HS10 though.

I saw a Sanyo PLV70 there (briefly) and that was really quiet. I also saw a Z1, which was quiet too. It's a shame Sony didn't pay more attention to this issue, but I still think my idea about sound insulation on the underside might be worth a shot.

By the way, I've been extremely impressed with the high level of aftersales service at Nexnix/ShootandShow. I'm sure a lot of sellers wouldn't have wanted to know about the faults I've had.

15. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than cut a massive hole in the wall so you can use your remote control, you should get a remote control repeater.

This is a little device that 'sees' the information transmitted by your IR remote and then sends it along a wire to an IR LED on a wire that pokes into the next room. Allows you to control equipment hidden in cabinets etc without opening the door.

John

16. gecko

gecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that John, I'll look into getting a repeater.

Steve.

17. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll second that - try www.letsautomate.com , they have a good range. I use the xantech kit as i have a centralised setup up, it is expensive but works very well and is highly expandable.

cheers