1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 screen choices - new or used (boy, is this getting expensive)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ziglar, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    After demoing my wonderful new pj to my darling wife she kindly suggested that it might look better with a proper screen rather that a beige wall over the fireplace; funnily enough, I totally agree.

However, I'm not too sure that I want to spend £600+ on a super-duper electric one. What are the relevant choices that I have? Would a 2nd hand screen cause me any problems. Could I just paint the wall with that 'goo' paint? Has anyone tried a 'homemade' rigid screen?

Or do I just pony up for a kosher electric screen to impress the neighbours?

There has been some talk of grey screens - any comments?

Just for the record - sitting 13/14ft from the projected image (onto a geige painted wall) I am sure I can still see the pixel structure; is the the 'screendoor' effect? Please, please note that this is NOT a criticism, just an observation as it in no way detracts from my viewing.

Thanks again

2. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    A company called Draper do manual screens, I have just bought one from nexnix, it was a 16:9 82.5 inch screen for about £245.

I am going to be installing it this evening

Ben

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I think you need to be aware that although the Draper seems a good price you WILL probable change it quickly.

A few people, including myself, find this screen suffering form ripples which can spoil the enjoyment of a film.

With my screen, Draper Luma 16:9 92" accross, I have 2 ripples decending from the middle left and right side to a point at 45%.
    This spoils the flow of the film as it moves either up/down or left/right.

Only after 3 months I am concidering an Owl Screen (£800) so could have saved £300 which is approx what I paid for my Draper :mad:

Funny this this post has spured me to write to Draper :)

4. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ummmm, I have not used my Draper yet but I will consider your points. I do not have any more cash to buy a better screen so i will have to see if I can eliminate any ripples that I have

Ben

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen screens by 'projecta' (www.projecta.nl) for sale
    here:
    http://www.projectors-online.co.uk/products/projector_accessories/screens.cfm

I've noticed the 16:9 slimscreen (180cm * 102cm) in Matte White S fabric is available at only £90 + VAT.

Any feedback? I'm currently projecting onto a white painted square on the wall and could do with something better...

At the same time even though it's only £100 I would prefer not to waste it!

Feedback on this would be appreciated.

I looked at the Draper Luma and the posts are putting me off...!
    I really don't want to spend £800 on a screen just yet though!

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screens that Komplett sell are Projecta 'Proscreen' models
    I have the Matt White (not S :( ) 240x139cm one which costs
    about £230 and works fine for my setup.

So a Matt S slimscreen for that kind of money should be pretty much ok :).

And if it does go ripply or you find yourself looking at £800 screens then it's not so much of a loss!

(And you can probably eBay it for £50 :) ).

-- Jon

7. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

One other thing. Has anyone tried using a higher gain than 1.0 screen?

According to my calculations, when seated the total viewing angle from the normal to the screen to the edge is 17.5 degrees (a total of 35 degrees filling your field-of-view when seated).
    I gather that a number of higher gain materials have a viewing angle of 35 - 40 degrees depending on the spec.

I know that you can get problems with uneven lighting and restricted field-of-view. However a high gain screen would give the brightness another boost and moreover, for a ceiling mounted projector the light will effectively be bounced straight into your eyes by the screen therefore making it more efficient than a matte white diffuser 1.0 screen.

Any feedback anyone? Has anyone actually tried it?

8. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to just get a sheet of screen material without anything for it to role up into? I just wanted to nail the material to the wall at the corners so it wouldn’t wrinkle up and might save a bit of money.

If anyone knows where you can just get the screen material I’d be very grateful if you could tell me. If I can’t find it I’ll just have to buy a roll up screen and remove the screen, which seems a bit silly.

Thanks

--
    Mark

9. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the projecta link, I've just ordered a slimscreen. I've made a DIY blackout material screen, which is fine, but I wanted a one for another location.

I saw a 4:3 one on TCR and they looked OK, if the mechanism is poor, I'll just use the material to make a fixed one.

I'll post to tell you what it's like, it'll be a couple of weeks though.

Screen material is available from the widescreen centre and if you search the forums there are other places too, you'll really need to build a frame to stretch it over though.

10. mjones0

mjones0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll have a look around the forum.

I was more after a sheet of the stuff that comes in the roll up screens than the black out material. I think I might just buy one of the roll up screens, cut the screen out and nail it to the wall.

11. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mark (mjones0)

Not sure how competitive the prices are, but their response to my e-mails seems to indicate their customer service is pretty good. Might be worth a look.............
    AVCOM Screen Materials
    Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the material for blackout roller blinds ? This seems to be quite thick and may not ripple that easily. I am planning on using it with a roller blind kit for a complete DIY screen.

Greg

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Another site that sells screen material for both home and professional purposes is www.harknesshall.com

May be worth a shot. Also, take a look at Meep's site as he used them and also has a link to site showing how to build your own fixed frame screen. All doen for less than £200 I think, and looks damn good too.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    petrolhead

Have you tried leaving your screen fully unfurled(?) overnight to see if the ripples come out? I tried it once and they did, but I've haven't had my Draper Luma long.

Must admit that you get the ripples as soon as you drop the screen, so it doesn't help with the movie you are watching, and it is esp. annoying with pans.

Still, I guess most manual screens have this. I would have thought that electric versions would be similar though, they just have electric motors.

I think that tab tensioned is the only guarantee of flatness.

14. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi Richard

Fortuneatly not all screens are equal and they also do not cost the same either.

Owl, VuTec and Projecta to a think material screen. For a 7" screen the Owl cost approx £850, the VuTec £1500 and still waiting for price from Projecta. All electric BTW and the Owl includes the control unit.

I have seen an Owl screen at 7oaks Newcastle the the only thing was a slight curling at the edges but this did not interfere with the image.

15. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an owl screen at 7oaks reading... Strange that! :)

Projecta (www.projecta.nl) do a screen called the "ProCinema" too. This is designed for home cinema use, electric screen.

I've seen it advertised in the UK for about £800 for the 180cm * 102cm Projecta Procinema.

However, you can pick it up from the Netherlands for about 630 euros (about £450 or thereabouts). Therefore I am leaning towards this at the moment because I think here in the UK we are getting ripped off BADLY in so many areas (cars, electronic goods) and projector screens is no exception.

I also received a quote from [sales@ustechelectronics.com] for a da-lite cosmoplitan electrol for $766 + $50 shipping. This still works out a LOT cheaper than buying in the UK....

Food for thought.

16. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    How about import TAX?