1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Room Temp & Fan Speed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcus Wood, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm currently trying to decide whether I should get an HS10.

I've seen one in action, and the fan noise seemed OK in Cinema Black mode. But I understand that in warm rooms the fan speeds up, becoming much louder.

This could be a problem for me because I'll have to mount it on the ceiling (well, several inches below the ceiling).

I measured the temperature in my living room with an electronic thermometer, and it's normally between 22 and 23 deg C (73-74 deg F?) but near the ceiling, it can go up to 24 C (75.2 deg F).

My question is; what temperature does the room have to be for this speed-up to take place?

[By the way, I know Kramer already said in another thread that the speed-up happens above 22C, but I'd like to hear from others, to see what the concensus is.]

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In my room about 24C its okay but it certainly speeds up at around 26C room temp, I havent measured it at the ceiling though.

Funny, I never used to like it cool but now.....

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. My room is a reasonable temp and the HS10 is ceiling mounted. It starts off quiet but gets louder and louder by the end of a 2hour movie.

It's better if the room is a lot cooler but it's the kind of temperature where you wouldn't sit there in just a T-shirt more like long-sleeves or jumper territory.

My other half says it's too cold and turns the radiator up.

That being said it really does depend on the movie and how interested you are in it and what the volume is set to, as to whether you notice it or not.

Overall I wish it was quieter hence doing research into making hush box to shut it up a bit.

On the plus side though the picture is very very good.

I've gone into Factory Setup and changed the settings of the 'mid' biases to those posted on AVSforum and the colours do look better.

I'm reserving the final calibration using AVIA until I have the screen fitted.

4. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John_N, do you know what the temperature is in your room when the speeding up starts?

John [Spicer], those figures are encouraging. But how did you measure your temperatures - do you think they're pretty accurate? I mean, the radiator in my living room (which is electronically controlled) was set to 18C when the room temp was actually about 22.5C, according to the thermometer I was using.

I might be better off because I have electric radiators (made by NOBO) in each room, each with its own electronic temperature control. I think this system gives more stable temperatures than a hot water based system. When I'm in other people's houses (in the winter) it always seems to be either too hot or too cold.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    To be honest the figures are a guesstimate based on where we set the thermostat in the hall outside the lounge door and how much warmer the lounge is than the hall with the door shut.

Like John_N I like to sit around with just a Tshirt and I find 24/25 a little cold and prefer 26/27C but this seems to be the point when the fans speed up, I'll try and get a different thermostat I can put in the room tomorrow night and I'll let you know how I get on.

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Temperatures... According to the thermometer in the room the temperature is about 22 - 24 degrees C.

At ceiling level it will be warmer though because this is what tends to happen in a room with no ceiling fan. A ceiling mounted PJ therefore stands a good chance of only having relatively warm air available at the intake.

If I were you I would estimate that the HS10 fan noise will increase during the movie. This is not necessarily enough to put you off the projector - it is still a very good unit and the picture quality is very good too.

I personally have the HS10 mounted above (by about 4 feet) and behind (by about 2 feet) - so quite near - and probably I'm experiencing it at it's worst.

Even so - when quiet it's comparable to a quiet PC. When noisy it's louder but not as loud as a loud PC like my Athlon upstairs.

I would recommend giving it an audition. You do tend to forget about the noise after a while and it gets drowned out by the sound from the movie anyway.

7. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John_N, I did demo the unit (see above), but an issue like this is hard to replicate at a dealer.

The problem is that I plan on using the HS10 to replace my TV, so I'll be using it for more than two hours at a time. Would it just keep getting louder and louder? :eek:

John S, any more info's welcome but I'm not sure that thermostats are very accurate - as I said, mine is set to about 18C, but room temp varies from 22C-24C. I like to sit around in a T-shirt etc too - now I'm getting worried again.:rolleyes:

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Marcus,

Give Russel at www.nexnix.co.uk a call, he allowed me to take a demo unit home (after taking a print of my CC) to try and told me that the only way to tell if the noise was going to bother me was to try it in its surroundings. He certainly seems to know what its all about and seems very keen to oblige.

After a home trial I decided that although a little noisier than the AE100 which I had already, (but not much), the picture quality so blew me away and still does that it more than makes up for it. Having lived with the pj now for a few days it is beginning to bother me less and less and I think if it wasn't for the chat here, I would largely have forgotton about it.

Everybody sshhhhhhhhooosssshhh;)

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick way to replicate the increased noise output:

Switch the "high altitude" feature ON .

This is the level my HS10 reaches when in a "warm" room. Tried the other night when it was coolish - definite fan speed increase. Then tried later with the heating on & room above that which makes the unit increase cooling.

Result = NO change between "high altitude" on or off.

This is the loudest your PJ is likely to get in a very warm room. (both in Cinema Black mode BTW).

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marcus
    Agreed with Kramer about the loudest it's going to get by turning high altitude mode on.

I'm currently using the HS10 to replace the TV (again) after saying I wouldn't. I stopped because the programming made my feel sick because too many cuts, fast pans etc.

I've found a way around that by putting the filter on (making the picture a bit darker) and reducing the picture size to the smallest it will go for watching TV. This reduces the artefacts and makes the whole experience more pleasant.

I'm getting an All-in-wonder card today with a TV tuner. That is going to talk to the HS10 via DVI and I want to see whether this gives a better picture than using my VCR over composite.. In theory it should but we shall see....

Cheers
    John

11. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we have all gone down a well trodden path here, that of a complete TV replacement. I am currently running an image that is about 60" wide, and am viewing this from about 10'

For TV I am watching Sky+ on svideo, using the HS10 DDE set to progressive. The picture quality looks fantastic when it is a good source (or garbage if it is a poor one !)

The problem is though as John mentioned, material made for TV often uses camera techniques that look awful on a big screen. Fast pans , particularly when they judder, are really uncomfortable to watch. We also have a cheapo 14" portable in the room as a temporary set while i sort out a solution, and when you have both on at once you can see that the judder simply isnt visible at conventional TV sizes and viewing distances.

my solution I think is to get a 17" TFT screen for casual viewing ( a PC monitor rather than the hideously expensive TV versions) . They are cheap enough now, reasonably sized and you can get seperate tuners etc to drive them. Also for those wanting to hide them in furniture (that will be you John ;-) ) then again their tiny heat output makes that much easier to achieve.

i have just got rid of a large RPTV so I dont want a CRT in the room !

Finally John I have tried using a Pinnacle RaveTV card (which I bought for dscaler) as a tuner, and the picture is pretty grim even on a 19" monitor. I reckon you would be better off getting a digital tv card (eg hauppauge or nebula - which seems to be the new favourite)
    I also have a hauppauge dvb digital sat card, and I tried that on the HS10 through DVI and the pictures again on that looked fantastic. Keep that signal digital all the way to the lcd panels !!

cheers

12. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    John, just out of interest, which AIW are you going to get to go with your HS10? I'm umming and aaahing at the moment about whether to get a PJ (never owned one before) or not, and at the same time putting together my first HTPC (will be for CRT use until I make my mind up about the PJ).

I'm having a :devil: of a time deciding which components to put in my LMP box! :(

13. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll have to try to borrow one, or else try the high altitude mode.

Nexnix was where I demo-ed the HS10 by the way. I thought Russ was very helpful and knowledable, unlike most of the people who sell projectors. Also they're about as cheap as anywhere, so I'll definitely buy from them when I get a projector. He also mentioned that the speed-up might be an issue in warm rooms.

I think part of the appeal of having a projector is that you get to watch stuff on a big screen that would not normally be shown in a cinema. A couple of years ago I saw two All Saints music videos at a cinema ('Lady Marmalade' and 'Under the Bridge', I think), and they looked incredible. I'm sure that some stuff on TV will be a bit much on a big screen, but I could always zoom out (another reason for getting the HS10). I'll just have to see how it goes...

I have a HTPC with a Radeon AIW, and from my experience I would advise anyone thinking of getting an AIW not to bother, and just get the standard Radeon. It's great for DVD playback, but the video input quality seemed appalling (I was using it with NTSC laserdiscs). I got mine about 18 months ago (it was the first generation Radeon), so possibly they've improved it now. I never tried recording on it.

14. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi All

I will agree with everything said here concerning the watching of Sky through a projector, the cast and jerky scans can be a real issue. On thing that I have found with the HS10 is that you can use the Full through mode, in our setup it drop an 83 inch image down to about 55 inches which is good, the only issue is that Keystone correction does not work with this mode.

We were getting a bit annoyed that Sky was not very good and then we watched Monsters Inc last night. All I can say is WOW and WOW again, wonderful image and great film!!! Worth every penny for just that one film

regards

Ben