1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 RGB output problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jack, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Jack

Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem connecting my HS10 to RGB sources.

I have multiple RGB SCART devices (DVD player + games consoles) connected to a Keene Electronics RGB Scart switchbox ( http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/bigcodesearch.pl?KSC ).

Along with the SCART output socket (which i connect to my TV), there is also a HD15 VGA output on the device. The switchbox does no conversion to the signal so from what i have read i believe it is outputting RGBS to the VGA port.

I also have the Sony SIC-HS30 cable, which is a "PJ multi" plug to HD15 VGA plug.
    I have read on a web page that the HS10 will accept RGBS over the PJ multi connector via the HS30 cable.
    When i connect it up to the switch box i get a message from the projector telling me that the "input frequency is out of range".

I've been doing a lot of reading on this site, and lots of others as to why this is. Basically i'm thinking either:

a) The DVD player (Tosh SD-3109) is actually outputting RGSB instead of RGBS.

or

b) The DVD player is outputting RGB + composite video instead of RGB + composite sync, and i need to seperate the sync for the projector to be able to handle it.

or

c) The separate sync channel (composite pin-19) from the SCART plug isn't being routed to the correct pin (hsync pin-13)

or

d) The projector can infact only handle the more regular RGBHV over the SIC30 cable.

Can anyone confirm or reject any of the above theories, or if i'm way off track, tell me what's going on?

The alternative is an RGSB/RGBS > RGBHV converter. - Can anyone tell me where to get one of these that uses HD15 plugs instead of Scarts?

Any help greatly appreciated.

J.

2. Jack

Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well after much research on the subject i've managed to answer my own question.

Basically the VGA port on the scart switchbox only switches RGBHV. RGBS outputs the sync on pin 19, whereas the HV in RGBHV output sync on pins 10 and 12. Hence the port will only support RGBHV and RGSB.

For the SIC-HS30 cable to be able to supply the HS10 with RGBS (i.e. from the DVD player) i'll need to buy a specially made cable that will wire pins 15 (red), 11 (green), 7 (blue) and 19 (composite sync) from a scart plug, to pins 1 (red), 2 (green), 3 (blue) and 13 (horizontal sync) of a VGA (female) plug.

That cable will enable me to view RGBS (and RGSB) on my lovely (but far too noisy) HS10.

I've emailed Keene electronics and lektropaks to see if they'll make me a cable to the above spec, but if not i'll just have to make one myself.

J.