1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Klippie, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    At long last I have everything up and running, I have been waiting on a screen arriving before setting it all up properly.

My Setup.
    HS10 DIY ceiling mount, cinema filter fitted,settings adjusted from Dave Boswells posts on AVS.
    Draper Luma matte white 72" by 40.5" 16:9 manual screen
    10 feet distance from projector the image fills this perfectly.
    An old Hitachi 250e dvd player connected by pj multi int s-video.

Picture Quality.
    No screendoor from 10 feet distance.
    I first tried it out on a mates Toshiba 210e via component the picture was very clear and detailed but it suffered from jaggies and quite badly from the chroma bug, the reds were terrible but overall the picture was very good indeed.
    The Hitachi connected via s-video is watchable but I must get a
    high quality dvd player soon.
    ( some adivce would be most welcome)
    After I changed the % settings from Dave Boswells calibration infothe colours were far better and the shadow detail was also improved over standard, I would advise doing this to your own machine unless of course you can calibrate the HS10 yourself.
    ( Just remember to note down your original settings )

Fan Noise.
    I sit directly bellow the projector even in the quietest of scenes the fan just does not bother me, with a little bit of volume in a film the fan is not heard at all.

Dead Pixles.
    None.

2. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just ordered hs10. need a 7 ft screen - width not diagnal. i have had quotes about £1000 for electric (owl video make ) which is too expensive for me . to be honest i would be happy with manual pulldown . how do you find your draper luma ? did you buy online ( where ? ) is it easy to fix or do you need a degree. any help mucho appeciato
    jaybeegee

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I got an 8ft wide Owl Electric from Gordon (Converegnet AV) at a price I shouldn't mention out loud;) but will say was much under a grand, drop him an email and I'm sure he can sort you out.

Its a nice screen with little edge curl even after the 6 months mines already been up.

4. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Jay

The Draper screen is only a week old so far it has no wrinkles,
    (I was advised to keep it rolled up when not in use to avoid this)
    I am very happy with the image it is bright and the colours are superb, it seems to be of reasonable quality even though it was only £230.

A good deal in my opinion.

I bought it on line from CRT projectors they actually recommended the matte white screen over a grey type for this output of projector also spent time answering any questions I had so I was quite happy.

Mounting the screen you have two options, ceiling or wall fixings
    the screen is supplied fitted with brackets on each end with holes to take screws or hooks if you want to ceiling mount it.

I have plaster board walls so I located the wooden beams (studs)
    with a stud detector then fixed a baton of wood ( I used a bit 19mm thick) to the wall at these pionts then simply screwed the screen to the baton making sure it was level.

You will need someone to help with fixing up the screen.

Very very easy to do.

Hope this helps......

5. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well what do you know - got a free sony screen with the hs10. everything still in the box, but now have loads of time to choose screen . Draper luma getting a few ripple complaints on forum so may go for owl screen
    thanks for advice chaps

jaybeegee