1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10/Radeon 9000 DVI/PowerDVD - how do improve the video?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ziglar, Feb 6, 2003.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am running my HS10 via the DVI output of my Radeon 9000 Pro using PowerDVD XP (v4). At the moment I am using 1280*720 as this is one of the native resolutions but is still 16:9.

Assuming that I am not going to change the PJ, does the video card/drivers and PowerDVD vs some other DVD playback software make a difference?

I can't see how to improve on this except via some superlative playback software or introducing a scaler/video processor of some sort.

The reason I am asking is that I am sure I can still see some 'artifacts' e.g. shimmering colours, moving backgrounds.

What do you think?

2. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, I'd say try WinDVD - I much prefer its PQ to PowerDVD which I can clearly see blocking artifacts on solid backgrounds which WinDVD renders smoothly. Everyone raves about TheatreTek too but I've not tried that.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Theatertek or Sonic Cineplayer 1.5 (same decoders) are much better than PowerDVD and WinDVD. Must be worth a try.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You need powerstrip to set the custom res of 1368*768 with the following settings

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1368x768=1368,88,144,232,768,1,3,30,82280,7

Theatretek will help but not much untill you run the HS10 at its native res as above to eliminate scaling in the pj. Via DVi the picture calibrated with a CC40r filter is excellent.

You could also try the radeon 9500 with dx9 and cat 3 drivers to wring the last bit out of it but its not a huge jump from the 9000 so dont sweat on it.

5. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi John, could you just confirm that even using DVI the PJ will still do the scaling unless run at it's maximum native resolution?

If the PC does the scaling, is it the graphics card or PowerDVD that does it (or both)?

How could I run a test to compare the scaling capabilities of my PJ versus the scaling capabilities of the PC?

Thanks

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its the graphics card that does the scaling when you are running at native resolution, otherwise the pj does assuming you are getting a full screen image.

To compare set the native res for the graphics card and compare it to what you already have, beleive me you will notice the difference;)

7. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I must admit to being a little confused about this scaling subject - I'm sure that by mistake I set my screen resolution to 800*600 via DVI (using multiple monitors output from Radeon 9000) and all I got was a small DVD video output in the middle of my HS10 PJ output i.e. it did not attempt to scale the image upto 1368*768.

BTW should this thread really be in the HCPC forum?

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I suppose it should but it could also be in the PS forum, I'm sure a mod will move it if they think its appropriate.

There is no scaling when there is no resizing so what you are seeing is the graphics card displaying 800*600 pixels in the middle of the screen. In this sense the pq will not be any better when you are pixel perfect at 1368*768, it will just be a bigger picture, if the graphics card is out putting less than 1368*768 and you are getting a full screen image then the pj is scaling.

DVD or Sky are both about for eg 720*480 (not exactly correct but the numbers are unimportant in this example). If you feed either to the pj the pj has to expand the image to fit the native res of its panel so it does the scaling. If you go through the PC and its output is the native resolution then The PC has already scaled it.

Does that make sense?

9. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, for the best PQ from a HTPC you need to use powerstrip on the radeon to get a custom resolution of 1368*768. This will display on preset 51 on the HS10 and give you 1:1 mapping.

This means that any scaling will be done by the video card / software DVD player combination.

You are then in the realms of looking at different software DVD players to see if one is better than the other.

So far I've got PowerDVD which worked for me - I couldn't get the SPDIF sound to come out of WinDVD.

I've looked at the TheaterTek web site and it looks promising - I might try and get an evalulation copy or something.

Of course the screw in CC40R filter and some recalibration will make a difference to quality too....

Does anyone have a view on whether the length / quality of the DVI cable makes a difference? I'm currently using a 10M DVI cable because I thought I needed the length. Turns out I didn't and I can actually get away with about 2M instead!

So - will I see a difference in PQ between my 10M cable and a 2M cable or is this really not worth bothering with?

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine displays 121 but thats pixel perfect too!

I think there is a massive jump up in PQ between PowerDVD4xp and Theatretak. You can download and try Theatretek for a week. You have to pay for it and the have a week to activate it, if you dont they refund the money.

I tried a 10m and got loads of lost pixels (sparklies) which aren't there with a 7.5m of the same brand (Lindy) although others have reported that the same cables can be okay, I'm about to back the one I got.

5m is suppose to be the reccomended maximum for dvi.