HS10 - pretty good value!

B

beta

Ok comparing the HS10 to my older CRT unit, it simply isn't up to the Sony VPH-1251 in terms of black levels, in fact it was bugging me at one stage.

I put the cinema filter on and at first every thing seemed blue?

I tweaked the settings with video essentials and finally got a nice picture, again black levels not so black, but acceptable.

Screen door isn't a big issue, I can see it from about 1.5 screen width but then its so small its a bit like seeing scan lines on the CRT unit sometimes.

At about 1.8 screen width where I sit its not a problem at all and I cant see it.

I am watching PAL material and for PANS etc I cant fault it, I watched most of Apocalypse now and half of the fifth element last night, WOW.

It is certainly allot crisper than the CRT, how ever the fan noise is a bit higher than I expected!

I also think the memory stick function ROCKS, images come up so clear!

DSC01144.JPG

DSC01147.JPG

DSC01130.JPG

DSC01105.JPG

DSC01121.JPG

Hi Beta,

Glad you're enjoying it!

Where did you get yours from and for how much?
What's the expected bulb life?

Frego.

I got mine from my local Sony Central store at a discounted price as it had been used as a demo unit for 2 weeks, but that also meant I got to see it running to make sure it was pixel perfect as the policy here allows a fair few dead pixels before replacement.

The bulb life is quoted at 2000 hours standard and 3000 hours cinema mode. I dont see the slight decrease in output adding half the life again to the glovbe, it just doesnt cut that much light output.

Thanks.
U know what I'm going to ask next...

Have you tried powerstrip settings for 1366*768 through the DVI-D port?

Cheers.

nope....a nice cheapo geforce card with DVI and 10 meter cable is on the list for santa ;)

The manual does state mode 51, 1366x768 at 56Hz, fH45kHz, fV56Hz, H-neg V-neg sync

Just finished LOTR on it going to bed its 1:20am ;)

Check out the very long thread on HS10 and DVI over on AVS forum.
I think someone mentioned the Geoforce cards were limited to 1280*1024 via DVI and the only 'brief' successes have been with Radeon 9000's.
I've goto a pretty good Sapphire 'buit by' card but no HS10 to try it with yet:(

my current card is an asus v7100 geforce 2, and it does 1376x768 with out any problems using power strip on my current 17 in monitor. Just only has regular VGA output

Originally posted by beta
my current card is an asus v7100 geforce 2, and it does 1376x768 with out any problems using power strip on my current 17 in monitor. Just only has regular VGA output

It's with DVI that most GeForce cards are limited.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom