1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Owners Only!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Canary_Jules, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I got my first mis-fire a couple of days ago after 130 hours. PJ started up immediately on next power up. So I am wondering what you guys would advise are the prospects I now face. Is this going to get much worse?

I have 3 months left on my warranty and Sony have said that they will have the machine in if I need to in order to check it out but I'd need to do it within that period. Would you advise that I send it back? Will the lamp bug just go away? If not, in your experience does the lamp bug get fixed after a return to base?

Also, has anybody out there taken out Sony's extended warranty? I have a quote of £85 for a year and £190 for 4 years cover. This is new for old and covers all repair costs (including parts) related to a mechanical or electrical breakdown. It doesn't cover user swappable parts though - so no cover on lamps! A good deal?

Appreciate the help!

Jules

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Jules,

I think whether or not you send it off now is probably related to whether or not you intend to take the warranty option.

If you are going to take at least a years then I wouldn't worry about sending it off now.

How long have you had yours, is it one of the early ones (pre apr 2003)?

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    And whre do you get the warranty by the way?

Cheers

4. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    The details of the repair protection scheme are here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/repairscheme.asp

My HS10 was supplied in March 2003, so it will be an early one. I didn't use it much for the first 6 months as I was waiting to have my home cinema room built.

So post April 2003 HS10s don't suffer from the lamp bug? What changed?

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm not exactly sure what changed, my Jan 2003 model was changed for a repalcement March/Apr and has been fine since, its got about 900 hours on the second, the first had 300/400.

I think an extra years warranty at £85 would be a good idea and will stop me looking at replacements just yet, a year on I'm still quite impressed TBH and think its going to take a HD2 dlp to improve upon it.

6. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    So how bad did your HS10 get before you decided it needed sorting? I read a post from Kramer somewhere where he said that the lamp bug on his HS10 cleared up after getting worse and that at 900 hours he hadn't suffered a mistart in a long time.

Jules

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine eventually wouldn't start at all!!

It was a getting worse with a cold reset being needed from time to time and would normally start second go. Eventually it wouldn't start at all no matter what I did, even leaving it untill the next day.

Nexnix were excellent and swapped it as soon as they had a replacement available.

I dont recall any problems at all with the new one.:)

8. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    £85 for peace of mind for another year is most probably worth it. I think I'll do this any way regardless of what happens with the lamp bug situation.

John, did you notice any improvements in picture when you received your replacement HS10? In other words, was the lamp bug causing a deterioration in your projected image?

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The thing that I noticed with the new one was how much brighter it was, the old one had definitly dimmed a lot....

10. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a few lamp bug starts when my pj was new but since then ive not had one,some 600 hrs movie watching has passed since then

The HS10 still impresses me so i wont think of changing it untill something really knocks spots off it.....i think another yr or so

11. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Yup! I love my HS10 too! :kisses:

It's interesting isn't it how people's experiences of the lamp bug have differed. There are some like John whose problems have cumulated to the point where their HS10 has been unworkable, and yet others who have had a mild dose and whose HS10s seem to have made a good recovery!

So what is the reason for all this? Why should there be such a polarisation in experience with the lamp bug?

Anyone out there know the answer?

Jules

12. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I also love my HS10 !

I'm getting this problem once every 5 or 6 starts with 140hrs on the lamp, not sure what to do now after John's post - I can live with it as I really don't want to send mine back for repair but if it could be terminal and the unit's out of warranty then things get a bit more serious

I think I will go for the years extention without question

13. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I'm going to take out the warranty as well. £85 will give us a year's grace during which the problem will either get worse or perhaps clear up. If it gets worse then our only choice is a warranty repair. If it clears up then we're both happy!

Of course, the Sony extended warranty is new for old, so may be if we soldier on until the HS10 is withdrawn by Sony we could then claim a nice new HS20?!!!

Jules

14. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I like your thinking !

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experiences with the HS10 are well documented.

Similiar situation. Started with a very ocassional false start, then got slightly worse, then slightly better, then completely cured itself (300hrs approx IIRC).

Only other thing was it developed a flicker at approx 750hrs so, just before the warranty expired, I sent it for service. Got it back a few weeks later with a new lamp fitted (& very little else done AFAIK).

Far brighter (as expected) & no flicker/false starts since. Now upto approx 905hrs so 165 on lamp #2.

As everyone, still very happy with it :smashin:

16. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Thought you might be interested to know that I just had a written quote through from Sony for my HS10. Well, when I say it is from Sony, I phoned the number on the Sony website and gave them my info but the quote is actually from Domestic and General. Any way, they have quoted me £70 cover for 1 year, £100 for 2, £150 for 3, and £190 for 4. So it's a bit cheaper than I thought. This covers up to £2000 and is new for old. The blurb says, "The protection will begin when your current guarantee expires. As a bonus, as soon as you take out a plan, you will immediately recieve protection against repairs caused by accidents - damage which is not protected by most guarantees... If our engineers can't fix your appliance, we will give you a brand new replacement. In the first five years, if your appliance braks down, we will replace it with a new equivalent model."

Sounds pretty good to me. I'm definitely gonna take a policy out, start praying for the HS10 to be withdrawn, and then for the lamp bug to really take hold of my machine! Hopefully a lovely HS20 or 30 would then be winging its way to my house!:smashin:

Cheers all,

Jules

17. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think £100 for 2 years is great value for a product like the HS10 - I think Dixons charge about the same to cover a toaster for 2 years !

18. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Canary, are you sure about your guarantee? I have spoke to Domestic and General and they specifically said they don't cover the HS10 projector. They mentioned Projection TV's but on the system they couldn't give me a quote because the model wasn't there. I might have got the office trainee she didnt know what a projector was until I mentioned it cost £2500, she thought white screen and stick she said lol.

19. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Yep I'm positive. I phoned the Sony extended warranty number and explained what I wanted cover for and they sent me out a written quotation which has HS10 LCD Projector specified on it. Fozzie, did you phone Domestic and General direct or go through Sony?

Jules

20. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes Domestic and General direct, I will ring again hopefully get someone else on the phone. My HS10 is 11 months old. It is with Sony now to be repaired under guarantee. Hopefully get the Lamp/Cover thing sorted and maybe a new bulb. The Lamp/Cover problem wasn't too bad to live with but if it shortened the life of the bulb! I have read a few people have sent theirs off for warranty repairs and it comes back better. My picture had got really dark after less than 400 hrs.
    DF

21. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I've just phoned the Sony number and taken out 2 years cover for £100. Great news is that you can pay be direct debit so I'm making 10 monthly interest free payments at £10. Not bad at all!

Jules

22. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey Canary_Jules can you pm me the number you rang....mines coming up to 11 months so 2yr cover sounds good to me :)

23. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    For anyone else interested here are the details from Sony's website. Just give them a call and tell them you want to take out the 'Extend Ultimate Cover' for your HS10. Tell them when you want the warranty to start, i.e. the end of your current warranty, and it should be sorted :clap: :

Repair Protection Scheme

"Extend Ultimate Cover" Sony's optional repair protection scheme

What does EXTEND cover? You would be surprised - Sony's EXTEND gives complete cover - the full cost of any repair, including parts and labour, initially for up to 5 years from date of purchase, even if the breakdown is caused through fair wear and tear from above average use.

Ask your dealer for further details or telephone 08702 411498

"EXTEND Ultimate Cover" is a registered trademark of Sony United Kingdom Limited

24. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for this advice.

I've taken out 2 yrs cover (only £90 for me - must be a postcode thing :)))) as I'm coming up to 11 months and don't want to get stung.

cheers

25. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have finally got a quote and it is £169 for 2 years. The HS10 is listed as a Projection Television?? No LCD Projector category listed. Rang that number and also tried web site www.domgen.com

26. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Wow! I wonder why there is such a difference in quotes? Also, mine is definitely listed as a PJ!

Jules

27. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Strange, it's not an area thing cos on the web site it doesn't ask you for your postcode (10% discount on web site). I have tried different valuations. I know some people only paid £1700, but I put in £1000 and even an HS2 and the price came back the same. 4 years protection is £299.

I will have to do it cos my HS10 is with Sony at moment being fixed. I don't want to stump up serious money if it breaks again.

28. chris6364

chris6364

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received my HS10 projector through and wasted no time in getting it covered with this insurance, so gave them a ring and said sony had suggested I gave call them. 5 years cover (inc Accidental Damage for 5 years - from today! - and the 1 year manufacturer warranty) has only cost me £169.00 (10 monthly payments of £16.90!!!) - after reading this i even double checked the premium and she told me it was definately correct - so i took it out there and then!

I think that is a pure bargain!!!!

:clap:

29. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Me thinks so too!:laugh:

Peace of mind at a small price.

Jules

30. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This is so frustrating lol... I can't get that price, mine is £169 for 2 years, £299 for 4 years! I need to work out how their pricing works. They still don't class a Projector! I have rang that number again 08702 411498 said Sony sent me, they called a HS10 a Projection TV. Tried the website! My guarantee runs out on the 19th Feb, need to sort it by then. Can someone try http://www.domgen.com/FS_Center.html and see what quote they get, Ta!