1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 - Lamp Bug ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gedo, Aug 24, 2003.

1. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my HS10 on thursday (refurbished unit from Robert Whyte Ltd) and tried it in anger for the 1st time last night.

One hour into the movie it died and the Lamp/Cover light was on (can't remember if it was flashing or just lit). When the unit powered off I waited a couple of mins and tried again. This time it lasted for approx 30 mins. I cycled the power again and the 3rd time it only lasted approx 20 mins so I gave up and finished watching the flick on my big 36" tosh.

I've been reading about the dreaded Lamp Bug issue and can't figure out if that is just a problem during startup , while watching a film or a combination of both ?

I've got the PJ on at the moment (30 mins so far) just to try to replicate the problem and to confirm the status of the Lamp/Cover light. I've also made sure the base has a proper airflow under it as last night I used a mag under the unit to complete my temporary setup :) I did read in a note that someone had a problem with the lamp when placing something under the base to even the unit. Is there an air inlet/outlet under there ?

Anyway , I hope someone can shed a light (pardon the pun) on my dilemma. It's put a real dampner on my new purchase :(

I guess I have a couple of options if the problem is real. Return the unit for a refund or go through Sony for repair. Has anyone else with a refurbed unit had to get repairs ? I've neem assured that the warranty on this is identical to a new unit so well see.....

George

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I would seem to have the same problem, see here . I am currently waiting for a new lamp to arrive so that I can determine if it's just the Lamp of something more at fault. If it's just the lamp I can send that back for replacement.

You could check that the covers (lamp and filter) on the the bottom are properly in place but I suspect that, just like myself, you will need to send the unit back for repair/replacement.

Good luck

Conor

3. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the unit on for 3+ hrs this morning with no problems so I guess some form of overheating due to having blocked the base of the unit. Going to watch another flick tonight just to maximise it's useage to get my confidence back.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shutting down of the unit during operation is usually caused by restricting the air intake on the bottom of the HS10. Sitting on a magazine etc...

Comer's on the other hand - strange :confused:

The "lamp bug" generally results in false starts, not really seen/heard of any units exhibiting those characteristics apart from the intake issue etc...

Hope the bulb sorts if for you Comer, although I fear not..

:)

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I tend to agree, but let's still hope. I'll know in a few days one way or the other

Conor

6. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Coner

I hope your replacement bulb gets you sorted out mate....Just out of interest, where have you bought the bulb from and what was the cost ?

George

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From here.

:smoke: