1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Lamp bug seems to be alive and well.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by John_N, Feb 11, 2003.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Last night I turned on my HS10 and the light didn't come on! After waiting for a bit I looked at the unit - the fan was on but the power light was flashing and the 'lamp/cover' light was illuminated.

I had read various posts about this so I pulled the power cord out of the back of the machine and then tried it again. It started fine.

After a while I turned it off (leaving it on standby). Later on that evening, I tried to turn it on again. Same result. No light - and I got it working by unplugging it and then trying again.

So far the unit has been permanently plugged in and on 'standby' and I've read posts that seem to indicate that this is the problem.

So I've left it unplugged since then.

Has anyone else had this issue? Do we think this is an issue serious enough to warrant a return to the manufacturer?
    Has anyone had it happen and then 'get worse' such that the projector just won't start up at all ?

Cheers
    John

2. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I had what I hope was a one off gremlin on Sunday evening and perhaps it is related to this.

I watched 6 episodes of band of brothers (!!) on Saturday evening and as usual my HS10 performed without any problems at all. I was so tired afterward I pressed the standby twice, and rather than wait for the fan to stop and unplug everything I left if and went to bed.

On Sunday evening, after 18hrs or so with the machine plugged in and on Standby I settled down to episode seven and the thing started playing up. It projected an image but then turned itself off after about 5 minutes. I noticed the power light was flashing and the lamp/cover light was lit. I powered it back up - and agiain the same problem, after about 5-10 mins the light turned off and it went into standby mode.

I unplugged everything, examined all power cords thinking maybe loose connection and plugged all back in. Tried for a third time and everything fine.

Do you think this is related or does anyone else have similar.

Regards,
    Steve.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've had the flashing led a co0up[le of times too, mainly when restarting when already warm and not cooled down or after changing/cleaning the lens filter. In each ocaision I have tryed to turn it on with the remote and it flashed, pressed the power button on the side of the pj and it started immediatly.

I think its no more than the thermal protection circuits being a little over cautious.

4. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will take your assurances John, and I wasn't concerned enough to start thinking about returns and warrantys anyhow. If it doesn't like being left on Standby for considerable time then I will just have to remember to unplug it.

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a similar topic - approximately how often does the filter need to be cleaned? I haven't read all the manual (to my shame - I'm sure it probably says in there)....

Perhaps this issue could have been related to that. It worked fine last night when I watched "reign of fire" - which was absolutely dire - so don't bother watching it if you were thinking of it.

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't read the maual either but I'm sure a message comes on screen when it needs changing...dont know where I read it though.

7. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i leave mine permanently on standby and i too have had this happen once. I personally think that the problem is too intermittant for anyone to be 100% certain that it is standby related.. hopefully sony will release an updated firmware sometime soon - maybe that is what the USB port is for?

cheers

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does this too guys!

& it's getting worse!

No major problem for the first 50 or so hours, but now it has a "false start" at least 2 out of every 5 attempts.

No real problem, yet, but I dread the thought of one day it not starting - at all.

Haven't had it on for a few days, & won't until some time next week, at the earliest, but something amiss with the HS10 :rolleyes:

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    This is all I need to hear:(

Conor

10. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic.

My unit has approx 87 hours on it now and it had not problems at all until then. So far, I've managed to avoid all problems by keeping it turned off at the socket and only turning on power to the HS10 when it needs to actually 'start'.

Still a good unit though. I just hope that it doesn't start breaking down. I've seen people on AVS who have returned theirs for refund after the lamp totally failing to start.. Hmm. I wonder what the official Sony line is?

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just thought I'd add that I never turn mmine off at the socket. only put it in to standby with the remote, mines done about 80-90 hours as well now. We'll have to all keep track of which way seems best or when it happens and try and decide if its a fault or a bug.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    its this sort of thing that really puts me off buying stuff especially
    the first run of any products

my mate got one of the first mini coopers and that thing had loads of faults.

Unless your a first time buyer or incredibly desperate ,always wait for the a while before you buy something , that way you get the 2nd or later production runs when bugs are ironed out.

13. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my unit has an earlier rom etc than most others compring to the avs post on this, and its done 230 odd hours, and been in standby since I bought it in november, unpluged maybe 3 times to move things about, yet not a single problem.

Alas its back in its box though, moving house dont want anyone putting it under their coat at the open inspections over the next few weeks! :(

If they can get the sony CRT past the agent at the front door then they deserve it :laugh: