1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 - Lamp Blown or 'the bug' ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyBuz, Mar 30, 2005.

1. AndyBuz

AndyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. I'm new to this forum and am v impressed with what I've seen.
    Any HS10 buffs ? Here's the query:
    PJ 15 months old, done about 300 hrs. Now won't start, the lamp light has come on. I've read all sorts of threads on a 'lamp bug' with this model.
    Is there a way of telling if a PJ bulb has actually failed ? Have removed the lamp for inspection - it looks good but how can you tell without forking out £300 ish ? Have tried a meter across the terminals but cannot measure anything - though these aren't your average filament lamps are they.
    Any advice on checking a bulb - or could the pj have the 'bug' ?

If anyone is interested my pj is set into the lounge wall about 12" down from the ceiling hung on a home made plate on sliding rails. Took me 3 weeks and a lot of arguements over the mess - but worth it. It looks pretty neat, no ugly ceiling mount, very safe from the wife's hoover too ! Could do a jpg if anyone wants to see it.

Hope to hear !

2. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: I think I'm right in saying that when a lamp goes you can hear it pop.Has the projector been working prior to this probem?
    The reason I ask..you say the projector is built into the wall..was it working before you put it in there? if the unit is not well ventalated it will shut down.Why not post a pic here.

If that is what is causing the problem you could install a base plate connected to draw fittings and slide it out of its den during viewing and return it home when done.

My hs10 used to shut down when it was not aired correctly.
    hope this may help :)

DOH JUST EEN THE SLIDING RAIL THING>> :suicide:

3. AndyBuz

AndyBuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vulcan75
    Thanks for reply - its great to have someone take an interest. I just looked at your website too - cool eh ? My kit list is not that comprehensive but am still impressed 1 year later with the experience.
    The facts now !
    HS10 was bought new 15 months ago and has always been installed in it's cubby hole. I was always concerned ref the ventilation so measured air temps in and around the unit. It has been wired to be permanently on so if the lads use it they won't accidentally turn it off before propper shut-down.
    This has been my first projector installation and it is stunning - the whole family are v impressed. It has also been totally reliable for the last 15 months.

I have heard that the HS10 can suffer if left on standby all the time - have you ever had any start-up problems ?

No pop was heard from the bulb after the previous viewing, the showing was completed and we just shut down as 'normal'. If a bulb goes pop I guess there'd be something visible ? Have you seen a blown lamp ?

Tomorrow I'll phone Discount Electrical where I bought it. They did a spare bulb offer at the time for £100 which I got - and stored it somewhere safe in the packaging. Guess what - it's the wrong one ! an LMP-150 not a 180. I'll ask them nicely to change it but to be fair I should have checked the part number I suppose. Bu**er !

I'll take a picture or 2 tomorrow and attach on this posting. Does this site restrict the size of a jpg ?

Be good to hear back

4. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi andy,those pics on my site are realy old,i've built a home cinema room since and havn't yet updated the site.Must get that done!!

I had a lamp start problem on my first hs10 which i sent back within a week,its replacment has had not 1 single problem and its been kept on stanby for over a year now.
    I think the lamp bug affected a batch of hs10's and dont think its an inherrant problem that can just develop(I hope not anyway).
    Have you had any joy fixing the machine yet/are you getting any light out of the unit?.

lets hope its the bulb eh! :rolleyes: