1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 & HCPC information please!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rick1486, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then gang the HS10 is arriving this weekend and I'm looking at running it via HCPC. Thoughts please on the Sony VAIO (C/W dvd rewriter) which I know is the easy way out and probably doesn't have the bestest of the best components included but at £1250 isn't badly priced and the shop claim I can hook it up to the HS10 and do everything from it (tv/dvd/recording/games etc etc).
    OR - can anyone suggest a htpc supplier OR suggest the best components I should be looking at including AS WELL AS software I'm going to need.
    PLUS do I use a dvi digital male to dvi digital male lead to connect the graphics card to the HS10?
    Please help gang I'm desperate to sort this out quickly.
    Cheers
    Rick

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plagiarist ;)

You'll need DVI/DVI (male) - try Lindy .

A Radeon graphics card, a 9500 Pro/non-pro I'd suggest.

Powerstrip timings are here already, but just to make it easy for you:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1368x768=1368,80,136,200,768,1,3,21,79905,7

Generic timing details for 1368x768:
    HFP=80 HSW=136 HBP=200 kHz=45 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=21 Hz=56

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1368x768" 79.905 1368 1448 1584 1784 768 769 772 793 -hsync -vsync

That's a start anyway. My offer to call & give you an hour long crash course still stands BTW, provided you're not too far from Bicester.

I'm flexible on the £500 fee :rotfl:

Best of luck ;)

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A budget of £1250 is a good amount to get a much better package morespecific to you requirements. You need to decide exactly what you want it to do. Then we can specify what you need.

Do you want/need a quiet solution, does it have to fit in with existing equipment visually etc.

Are you comfortable building and configuring a PC. There are plenty of people here that can help you along the way but half a clue helps. ;)

Uven at the top of this forum will build you a PC and they are not the only one ;) but its obviously cheaper to do it yourself. The second advantage of doing it yourself is then you will have the knowledge to sort it out when it goes wrong.:D

Its a challenge to do it but a great picture when its done.

4. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer, but working Saturday and won't be home till quite late - shame 'cos only 15mins from Bicester.
    Is that dvi male to dvi male? or dvi male to dvi female?

John it doesn't have to be whisper quiet, but it would be nice to not hear it too much. Will be in living room so must look tasty - the dvd/rw isn't a necessity imo, I'm more interested in graphics and sound capability coupled with tv and tv recording facility.
    I will also want it to link into the home lan and play games so will be looking for the best graphics card within budget.
    Yes I am comfortable building p.c.'s so that isn't a problem. Was just being lazy looking for a preconfigured htpc.

Hope this is enough to get some more advice from you boys.

Cheers
    Rick

5. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Rick,

I am not sure how competent you are with regard to PC hardware, but you would get the best solution by building your own PC. Below I have copied and pasted a sample PC that you could build sourcing parts from www.ebuyer.com I have used them and they are very reliable.

AMD ATHLON XP2600+ 333MHz FSB Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty 043755 28 £157.06 £157.06

A7N8X SKT A Nforce2 Chipset Motherboard 044193 142 £71.41 £71.41

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis 128MB DDR 8x AGP DVI TV-OUT 044195 53 £168.84 £168.84

PC2700 512MB 333MHz DDR DIMM 034005 207 £45.63 £45.63

Seagate Barracuda 80Gb 7200rpm UDMA100 Hard Drive - OEM 036369 310 £59.99 £59.99

Nec DVD+R/RW 4x IDE Burner -Retail Box 046050 26 £159.99 £159.99

Ebuyer Xion Case blue acrylic facia front USB and Audio ports 400w PSU 040613 5 £42.56 £42.56

Netgear 10/100Mbps Ethernet Card RJ45 PCI FA311 016435 1553 £8.41 £8.41

VAT: £125.93
    Total: £845.31

This leaves £350 to get a good video capture card, mouse keyboard and software. It may be worth comparing the specs of this to the sony PC you were looking at.

From what I understand, Kramer may be able to lend a hand, and I think he builds his own PC's.:smashin:

Worth a thought.

Rob

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob - v.helpful.
    The more I think about it the more I know I don't want/need a dvd writer atm.
    Would rather have a larger hdd and the tv capture/record/timeshift or whatever it is facility + a decent graphics card and nice case.

Cheers
    Rick

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Theres not much wrong with Pulsar's suggetsions but

Use PC3200 ram which is 400mhz bus compatibel in two sticks of 256mb for max performance from the nforce board.

You wont need an ethernet card with that board either as it has it onboard along with spdif out.

You may want to consider a quieter HSF such as the Thermalright SLK800 with a 92mm Panaflo squeezed on top or better still watercooling if your brave enough.

Consider a quality PSU. There is another thread/poll with some suggestions at various price points.

For a nice looking case the Dign or LMP but I'm told the LMP wont take a 9700 with a Zalman Heatpipe as it ends up too long.

The DTV solution of choice apprears to be the Nebula which I haven't tried yet but can record either locally or to a mapped drive if required.

For Dscaler use the Packard Bell TV100 from PCWorld for £39.99, its the best value for money solution at the moment.

Unless you are into serious gaming the XP2600 will be a bit over the top for HTPC use and will generate more heat and therefore be harder to cool so may be a trde off.

8. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John but what is a Nebula?
    Was also considering a P4 as they apparently run cooler. Also do u have a link to the DIGN?
    Really want it to look the biz in the front room.
    Also does the packard bell come with dscaler or is that something I have to obtain separately and if so where from?
    Sorry for all the questions but I am a novice when it comes to htpc.
    Cheers
    Rick

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: - I did offer.

Indeed I do, even pump water through some of 'em (keeping this quiet though - still get flamed by Comer whenever I mention water :D ).

This might become a HS10/HCPC "how to" sticky :clap:

10. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Kramer how long are u in oxfordshire for lol?
    Also, what about these SHUTTLE based p.c.'s - they look good but are they right for a htpc setup?
    Cheers
    Rick

p.s. If it does turn into a "how to " sticky I'm sure it won't be a bad thing, there's plenty of us newbies who really do value you gurus info/experience/expertise.
    Rick

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really need to read the HCPC sticky here . It's out of date, but Powerstrip, Dscaler, Nebula TV card etc.... links to them all in there. + DVD software recommendations etc...

Make sure you read it now - we'll be asking questions later.
    :smoke:

12. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its a Digital Free to air card for about £100 which also alows recording.

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/cases.php#htpc

Dscaler is shareware and is easy to find with agoogle search, if you struggle I'll have a look through my links. You use it with the PB TV100 to grab the external source picture (eg sky) and resample it for output by the graphics card.

Re P4's

Personally I think they are overpriced for the little gain in performance stability/claimed and consequently I haven't tried one, most people that knock AMD is because of problems with early Via chipsets but I've had no problems with the newer ones, or use a Nforce based board. Since the Thouroughbread core Athlons they been a bit easier to cool and with a Heatsink like the Thermalright SLK800 temps are well within acceptable tolerance levels.

13. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aaaaargh! Can't find the packard bell tv100 card on the pcworld.co.uk website

14. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi John,

Do you have any more info about the LMP and the Zalman? I have my LMP case, but am still shopping for the rest of the components and have been considering the Zalman+9700pro.

Alternatively, have you (or anybody for that matter) heard anybody replacing the stock 9700 fan with some larger but a bit quieter. I've not seen a 9700 in the flesh, but the fan looks to be about 60mm (or perhaps 40mm). I was wondering if a larger Pabst or Panaflow could be grafted on.

Cheers for any advice

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm told that because of the wrap around design of the heatpipe combined with the length of the 9500/9700 cards and that the LMP case places the dvd drive in line with the agp slot that there just isn't enough room.

Zalman do another passive heatsink but how good it will be on a 9700 I have no idea, if your gaming then I suspect it may not be upto the job.