1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hs10 DIY ceiling mount plan.Any comments , suggestions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rooster, Jan 21, 2003.

1. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    I am looking to build a diy mount for a HS10 , and from the ideas in the forums. I am thinking about attaching a bit painted wood to projector and then using the bracket found in the link below. Maybe one in the centre or since they come in pairs attach both either end of wood and then ontoto ceiling for extra security. Any comments on my plan . Does it look feasible. Brackets cost about £10 from cpc

[http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...catalogue&category_name=&product_id=ST0008166

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The link didn't work for me.

On the bottom of my HS10 there are 2 threaded holes to accept metric screws. I'm not sure that this is the only mounting point and perhaps someone with a real ceiling mount would care to comment?

If you are planning to screw the wood to the projector underside (which will be on the top when the PJ is mounted) I would think about reconsidering.

I personally would arrange for a 'shelf' to be suspended from the ceiling and put the projector on the shelf, upside-down, with the lights over the edge so you can see the lights. At least then you are not likely to stress the case.

3. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John link should work now. i was going along same ideas as Z1 and AE100 users have went.

Anybody used the MDF and pole method for HS10?

4. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just bought a pair of Gale speaker stands 8" high from Richer Sounds, and drilled 3 holes throught the base plate for the projector and drilled 4 holes in the top plate (stand now upside down) and screwed it into a joist in the ceiling. I placed some small rubber washers between the ceiling and the metal top plate to give me some small amount of adjustment via compression.

I obviously now have a spare speaker stand.

This works very well indeed.

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whereabouts on the HS10 did you mount the stand?
    Maybe I missed something but when I looked at the bottom of mine I only saw TWO tapped holes... ?

6. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There are 3 holes in the bottom of the HS10 forming a trangle about 7-8" each side. If you look in the manual it shows the single hole at the front of the pj for attaching a safety wire of sort sort.

7. rumnblack

rumnblack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, there are definately 3 holes, all of which should be used to support the PJ (it's quite heavy!). The Sony mount (which I use) bolts to these and the centre of gravity is then directly below the support pole.

There was an extra sheet of instructions with my HS10 that shows the Sony support (PSS-610) and this shows the three holes.

8. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah. That explains it then... I must have missed one. I thought it would be a bit stressed using only two holes.

I haven't read that part of the manual... :)

I liked the look of the speaker stand idea though. That's a whole lot better than giving sony £180 for the stand.

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ziglar what was the product code for that bracket. had a look on their website but a search for gale stands came up with a few

10. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    actually i think i see them. The bracket in my first post is more flexible in that it can be adjusted in lenght and tilts and swivels. Where as those stands from Richer sounds will be rigid

11. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, the Gale stands are rigid.

Now that I see those stands in the link from the first thread, I'm sure that they would have been more suitable for the job.

C'est la vie.

12. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but then again . Ill need to use a bit of MDF as well.

13. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    I used a TV bracket from Argos (in light grey) and turned it upside down. Driller three holes in the plate and screwed through to the HS-10's mounting points. Looks tidy and works well, but of course is only good if you want to mount the bracket on the back wall, which I've done. Total cost £14.75 and you'd be forgiven for thinking it's designed for this use.:)

14. Turl

Turl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm working on an aluminium post mount design for the HS10 right now that should give the flexibility of wall and ceiling mounting at any distance you like.

Pls don't get too excited just yet as I plan to work on this over the weekend and post a thread with pics and details next week. This is obviously not as straight forward as a TV wall bracket but if your lookng to make a professional looking mount for £50 to £60 it should be the way to go.

I'll keep you posted.

Turl ;)

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same as museumsteve.

Cheap TV wall bracket, but I modded it to take the weight in the plane for which it was designed. Also shortened the actual wall fixing to suit my install.

Nice looking (look purpose made TBH) & cheap. Shoulsn't be too difficult to modify one for ceiling mounting.
    [​IMG]

Pictures of it mounted are in my thread here .

16. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Turl i look forward to seeing the pics.

Kramer , not sure how you would turn the TV mounts into ceiling type.

17. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Rooster,

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you some pics
    of the mount I made for my HS10.

I'm just over the water from you.....

Klippie

18. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Klippie got the pictures . Looks very professional indeed ... So how did you do it then :)

19. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Very sorry about the late reply,

The top plate is 10mm aluminium, this has a countersunk hole through it and is screwed into the aluminum tube which has a tapped plug glued and pinned inside that end.

On the other end the ball assembly is also guled and pinned inside the tube which is then mounted to a 6mm triangular aluminium plate which has been drilled to the pitch of the threaded holes in the HS10. this plate is seperated from the projector by 13mm spacers to give plenty of air flow around the air intakes, this is then screwed to the HS10 by 5mm countersunk screws.

The cost of buying aluminium is not to expensive, any helpful sheet metal works will probably sell off-cuts from their scrap buckets quite cheaply.

It is all very easy to cut and shape using a jig saw and basic tools.

Plus a metal mount just looks the dogs....

Klippie.

20. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have mounted mine on the ceiling , and i would recomend using a metal strip at the rear to line up with holes and use long bolts with a nut each side of your plate for leveling , then lock them when all is satisfactory

looks good to

cant pay sony £230 for there support can we!