Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HS10 Calibration + screen (+DVI)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by TT9, Feb 24, 2003.

1. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings All,

Questions for HS10 owners.

I received this morning my CC40R and expecting my AVIA disk any day now. I am wondering what success owners had calibrating their machine. I have read a few mixed reports, some with more success than others. How are you getting on Pulsar - I saw from one of your threads that you were not too happy with the setup at the time ? I was hoping that those with some success could post their settings of every parameter they changed as offsets to their original values. And can you advise whether this was from the service or factory menu. I know this has been talked on AVSforum with Dave Boswell and that but I was hoping for some feed back from the regulars on here.

Secondly I still require a screen. What's the general consensus for LCD's - white/grey, 1.x gain ? I was thinking an electric owl. Has anyone one of these models and honestly what do you think of it ? I have written previously that I don't want to spend too much on a screen and this still holds.

Lastly I have read so much about, but never seen this DVI PC thing. My question is - Is there an improvement in picture quality over high-end dvd players (TagMclarn for example) ? I actually have such a player and am interested if DVI would improve things for me because if so, then this negates any need to be spending those sorts of money on a DVD player.

Best Wishes,
    Steve.

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've got an HS10, CC40R and using a projecta procinema electrol matte white screen which I got from nexnix for about £450 (180cm * 102cm 16:9 )

I used AVIA and managed to get the gains and biases set just using my eyes so it looks OK. However it probably isn't perfect. I've been looking at the prices of things like the Colorfacts CF-6000 spectrophotometer but colour analysers aren't cheap bits of kit. YOu could pay someone to come and do the calibration for you but it will probably cost you £100-£200 I think.

The CC40R filter makes the picture a bit darker. It therefore improves the black level. I think it increases the contrast a bit and makes the picture look better.

AFAIK there is only a 'factory mode' and a 'user mode' on the HS10. In the user settings I have:
    Contrast: 85
    Colour: 55
    Brightness: 51
    Sharpness: min

And I have adjusted the gain/bias settings accordingly. Note that every HS10 has different gain/bias settings unique to that unit so therefore there is no point in looking at what my settings are. And besides - mine are probably not perfect and certainly not calibrated to D65 that's for sure but I'm happy with the picture for the time being.

I tried projecting onto a grey wall to see if I liked it. Didn't make that much difference to be honest. I would get a white screen because AFAIK grey screens are still too rare and too expensive. I couldn't find one anywhere apart from the Stewart ones.

I'm now using TheaterTek on a HSPC. The picture is better than with an expensive DVD player. However it isn't as user friendly.

If you are after the ultimate image quality I would go with the Home Theatre PC and use TheaterTek because it is better picture quality than all the other players I've tried (WinDVD, PowerDVD).
    In addition you can change things like Gamma, brightness, contrast,hue etc on the home theatre PC so it gives you an extra level of control - so if that film really IS too dark you can always turn up the levels a bit and still watch it.

This is my experience anyway.
    Cheers
    John

3. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've got an 8ft owl electric, white with a 1.2 gain, I got it from Gordon for £670 inc del. I haven't tried it without a screen on a wall because I dont have a convenient wall, I did compare my exact setup on Nexnix Stewart Firehawk because I took my HTPC in there and I cant say it changed the picture at all. Without a doubt the Stewart was flatter being tensioned but you cant see that once your busy watching anyway and for £3Kish....

I'm using Theatretek HTPC via DVi and have only compared it with the Denon player that Nexnix had whatever model it was, I din't pay much interest because my PQ blew it away.:D And that was using the cinema filter, the cc40r is a definite improvement once its setup properly.

I'll post some settings later as I dont have them to hand but the gains and bias' were set up using %age change from Dave Boswell to my stock settings and then just a liitle tweaking by eye and Avia. Contast and brightness saturation and hue are all set from within Theatretek and are the PC overlay settings so will be of little use to you if your not HTPC.

I dont suppose that there would be much improvement over a HTPC by using a Tag with PS module if any because the pj will still be doing some scaling. I haven't given it much tthought though as a sorted PC..>£1K, Tag and PS £4K or £5K.:eek:

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi TT9

I am getting happier with my picture after a lot of messing. (Which I have enjoyed quite a bit) I have not got my settings to hand, as I am not at home, but I will certainly post them tomorrow, I think it is a good idea to share info like this. You may find that someone elses settings look better than yours do. I have read the Dave Boswell post in great detail about 5 times, but didn't manage to use his findings to generate a suitable set of parrameters (spelling??)

I will post my before and after settings, for what I think gives me the best picture at the moment. Like John_N, I would also like a colour analyser but they are way to expensive for me at the moment. I did suggest doing a share on the forum, but that would take a lot of organising and trust. (Could be worth it though???)

At the moment I feed my HS10 with a DVI signal from my HTPC, and am very pleased with the results. I do not have a 'high-end' DVD player to compare with, but it trashes my Toshiba SD220 E.
    My screen is homemade from a wooden frame and white curtain blackout cloth. It gives my a nice bright image, and I can't see any grain in the cloth from where I sit. (About 1.2 * screen width) I haven't seen any other screen in action, so I cannot comment further.

Hope this helps a little.

Rob

5. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys (the regular HS10 posse!).

Having also digested Dave's post about 5 times until the early hours yesterday evening I have got some base settings which I am happy with, but I am sure there is more to come. Interestingly flicking between temperatures Middle (which contain my new values, copied from Low with % offsets) and High reveals a considerable change in colour. The higher seems a lot more bluer and cooler. Anyone else see this ? Thought I preferred this look but the Middle has now warmed on me and convinced me I am on the correct path.

I will also post my exact before/after settings here in the next couple of days when I have had a little more time to fine tune.

John_N - interestingly there are actually 3 modes of operation - User Mode, Service Mode, and Factory Mode. The general recommendation seems to be the adjustment of Bias Gains should be done in Service mode, NOT factory mode as this can invalidate warrantys. However, if one wants to adjust the gamma as per Dave's suggestion, this is only available in factory mode. Thanks for you settings.

John Spicer - Thanks for your comments. £670 for an 8 footer electric owl sounds very reasonable so I think I shall contact this guy Gordon. So at the risk of offending him and sounding totally ignorant :blush: , which poster gordon exactly are you referring to . . . . .? :blush:

Rob - There were quite a few comments that Dave's guidelines had not worked for them. I suppose for those people, and yourself by the sound of it, there is more work to do as the base settings do not work well. Well, congrats on perseverance and getting something close to what you are happy with. This idea of a share initiative I def. think is worthwhile because there are some things I wouldn't mind getting my hands on but likely to really need them only once. A Colourfact calibrater, and even an SPL are two examples that spring to mind. However just how well could we make these work, I mean whatever experience you need to make such tools work, we don't have.

I am interested in this HTPC thing now and wouldn't mind getting my hands on something to try out. I am just reluctant to make any sort of an investment as am sceptical it is likely to be worth the value in improvement in what I have. I might have scour round and see if I can find something REALLY cheap £200 ish (?). Or if anyone want to lend me one for a weekend. . . . .

:D

Thanks all,
    Steve.

6. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Steve,

Gordon= Gordon Fraser of Convergetnt AV http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/

Your also welcome to come down and compare your dvd player if you bring it with my HTPC. You could see the screen too.

Regards

7. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am thinking about buying the SMART III calibration for the HS10 when I am out in the states in a few weeks. The cost will be about £185

Would anyone be interested in the possibility of hiring the SMART III from me after this?

I was thinking about a cost of £20 per week with a damage deposit.

What do people think?

Regards

Ben

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Benmc,

If it isn't too hard to use, I would be very interested, put me first in line:)

Cheers

Rob

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I might be interested but again only if its easy to use.

10. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  11. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    benmc I have just received my Radeon 9500 and will now be using DVI as main source to pj and as yet haven't tweaked settings out of box. Was waiting for the card before installing filter and trying some of Dave Boswells settings. So basically im not sure as i may be happy after doing some manual calibration

12. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    benmc,

I would be interested. It doesn't look too difficult.

John - a most kind offer, thankyou sir. I may well take you up on that. I see you are Kent, very close to where I live. Let me have a conversation with Gordon and then we can ho a sceen/HTPC/DVD demo sometime soon if the offer still stands.

TT9.

13. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

OK. How do I get into 'service mode' on the HS10?

I know the 'factory mode' one:

left left enter left then 'up' when it asks if you want to enter 'factory mode' ...

So what's the 'service mode' one?

14. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [enter] - [enter] - [up] - [down] - [enter] - [up]

will give you a 'S' at the top left of your menu.

You'll now get access to the RGB gain/bias as per Factory Menu but not that 'Device' menu option for gamma et al.

Regards,
    Steve.

15. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    TT9
    Any time, just let me know when suits you.

16. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Hi Guys,

I have been reading quite a lot recently about the calibration side of things ie colour and contrast on a few posts and remember reading something about how sensitive the human eye is to contrast and colour, rather poorly it would seem to small changes.

My HS10 ( + CC40R filter ) is set up up roughly using Dave Boswell's % changes and I must admit it looks very good to my eyes with much tweaking done to the brightness and contrast settings to give me a picture that I like.

Now my worry is spending upwards of £185 on Smart III etc and not seeing a significant improvement in image quality. Please if somebody could explain differently I would only be too happy to change my mind but I think I will sit on the fence for a while yet.

£185 buys a lot of dvd's......

Klippie.