HS10 and good screen material.

T

Toekiller

Building a fixed screen and have ordered some high gain material from Drhscreens.co.uk for an 8ft screen.

1.8 gain sounded better than 1.0 ;)

Have I made an error? After reading some more, people mentioned worse blacks with a high gain screen.

Also mentioned was projector position. Mine currently is midscreen. Looking to ceiling mount it one day.

Am I worrying over nothing? :)

I think the concerns wer also about, is

1.8 gain..... better than 1.0

higher gain would afaik mean more light reflected so perhaps blacks would be greyer and mabe hotspotting would be an issue?

what id like to know is what conditions are diff gain screnes best for..... does high ambiant light mean high gain is better or worse are diff PJS better on diff gain screnes?

I would be a bit concerned at using a 1.8 gain screen with a HS10 - it doesn't really need that knd of screen - 1 - 1.3 gain should be fine. I'd be concerned that you could get hot-spotting with a high gain screen - but I'm not sure.

Hopefully one of the screen-savvy members will happen along and give you more concrete advice.

Sean G.

Originally posted by theritz
I would be a bit concerned at using a 1.8 gain screen with a HS10 - it doesn't really need that knd of screen - 1 - 1.3 gain should be fine. I'd be concerned that you could get hot-spotting with a high gain screen - but I'm not sure.

Hopefully one of the screen-savvy members will happen along and give you more concrete advice.

Sean G.

Thx for the replies. Seems I'll be ordering from LMP sooner rather than later. ;)

Hotspotting was a concern. Though the material description is as follows..

High Gain
Reflected images enhanced 1.8 times (gain ratio1: 1.8) within a 45 degree field of view either side of screen centre and never falling below 1 where ever viewed. The gain of 1 applies from 45 degrees right round to the maximum of 90 degrees each side of screen centre (See graph).

Field of view enhancement and no "bright spotting" make the high gain the ideal fabric for home cinema and business applications. However, when viewing from extreme angles the viewer will not benefit from gain ratios above 1.

Fabric is of two-layer construction featuring embossed face sheet and glass-fibre backing guaranteeing strength and stability. The resultant "lay flat" is excellent and reassuringly thick to handle.

Technical specifications:

Weight: 18oz/yd2
Tensile Strength: MD: 47.0 lbs, TD: 49.0 yds
Thickness: 0.21
Tongue Tear: MD: 4,000 grams, TD: 8,000 grams
Fire retardancy: Conforms to US Federal test method 191
Mildew and Fungicide preservation added
Gain: 1.80

http://www.drhscreens.co.uk/screenfabric.html

Anyone actually got this stuff?

Their top end FP stuff is 3.2 gain!!

All very confusing.

this stuff is designed for CRT projectors mate and might give very very different results with a light cannon like the hs10!

Would love to know what it looks like though.

Over at avs, they're always raving at how good the Da-Lite High Power screen is, and that's 2.8 gain (retro reflective).

Review and pics please!!

Gary.

Update..

Well with all the concerns flying around I contacted them and they are going to send samples of all 3 types of fabric.

1, 1.8 and 3.2

I'll let you know.

I'm really looking forward to this - their screen material pricing seems pretty affordable.

Gary.

Update...

So while I was waiting, I knocked up a frame and stuffed some blackout material up.

Samples arrived today.

1.0 Gain. No different in any way, apart from perhaps a different shade of colour from the blackout material.

1.8 Possible the worst looking fabric. Feels like sand paper. Sparkles in light scences. Wasn't alot brighter.

3.2 Wow. Bright isn't the word. It's very difficult to judge how this would look full screen but it really stands out in bright scences.

I was concerenced yesterday that my picture was very dim. I played Gladiator through my Pioneer 717 DVD player via Svideo and it was much too dark.

However, running through my PC it's like a different movie. Colours I'd never seen before. Awesome.

So the blackout fabric lives on. It cost 12 quid and with the right gear behind it, gives a very good picture for your money.

Hi Toe,

well, you came to the same conclusion as me regarding blackout cloth - excellent value, and no real difference from 'proper' screen material of s similsr gain.

I got some 1.2 gain stuff from ellie.com, and apart from being a little whiter, and a little brighter Which was the reason for buying it), the image quality doesn't seem any different to me. It's achieved my intentions though.

As for brightness via your player - have you tried something like Avia to set the white and black levels? This can make all the difference. Once they are set, you should get the best brightness and shadow detail available from the pj without losing image information.

The pc looks better because it is brighter, but even that may be set-up wrong. It should be a lot more detailed though.

I always use Avia to set levels before I do anything else with a pj. It's a good starting point.

Gary.

I'm utterly blown away by the pc output. 9700 pro, 2.7 ghz dvi. Colours are :eek: !!

I never knew gladiator was so colourful.

It is a massive step up over the 717.

You'l be hard pushed to find any standalone player that's better (if any).

It seems only the DVI output players like the Momitsu or Bravo come anywhere near close.

I've ordered a 9600 to improve upon my aging VE. Should get it next week hopefully. :)

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom