1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 and black backgrounds....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rjs1974, Jan 20, 2003.

1. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I noticed that when the whole screen is black, say on the closing credits of a DVD, that the lower left hand side of the screen has a greeny tinge, while the lower right is more pinky.

Is this normal? Can it be adjusted to give a more uniform blackness across the entire width of the image?

Thanks guys.

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't noticed this on my HS10.

What settings are you using?

My normal settings are:

Cinema filter on
    Contrast: 85
    Colour: 55
    Brightness: 52
    Hue: 50
    Sharpness: 40
    Cinema black: ON
    Black level enhance: OFF

I've just bought the AVIA test CD but haven't used it yet. You can get it from amazon.com (but I had to pay a bloody customs VAT bill when it arrived £8 the *****!! )

3. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another projector model to have colour uniformity problems?

Say it isn't so! =(

Regards,
    Olaiho

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It isn't so.. at least with my unit.
    The colour uniformity and brightness with the HS10 are perfect as far as I can make out with my unit..

Has anyone else seen this issue?

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think this is just 'one of those things' that some LCDs can sometimes suffer from - I've seen it mentioned both here and avs, so it's not uncommon.

Most people only tend to notice it under certain circumstances, so it isn't normaly a problem when watching a movie. I don't think you can do anything about it except get a replacement.

I think some AE100 owners got this after overtightening the pj onto its ceiling mount.

Try to look at it as a dust blob that you can't be bothered to clean, and maybe it won't seem so bad.

Gary.

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd try defocusing to see if there's any major imperfections in the LCD panels. I had a blue haze on my 12HT caused by a 15cm 'L' shaped line in the blue panel - could be a scratch or a piece of thread, never found out! You could only see if by focusing directly on it ... when focused normally it just looked like a haze.

Check out my previous posting 'Blue Haze on LCD' for a screenshot ... can't get the link but it was about 2 weeks back.

7. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  8. Chris S

Chris S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with mine until I changed the component lead to a better quality one. I believe it was due to slight impedance mismatch that can affect colour balance (should be exactly 75ohm).

9. rjs1974

rjs1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris S,

Really, that is interesting - was your problem exactly as I described?

Last night I entered the factory mode and looked at the Gamma settings (under "Device"). Every single area of the screen has identical settings, but the lower left hand section looks obviously greeny black, with the extreme bottom left hand corner much lighter than the rest of the screen.

The lower right hand side is definitely a pinky black, but not as obvious as the green. Looking at this function made the problem look far more obvious than during normal viewing, but it seems no others have seen the problem with their HS10s, so I am sending it to Sony to look at.

The Gamma screen also shows how the "black" - washed out black more like, it not uniform at all - it is very patchy and uneven on my unit. And it does look very grey black, not black black, and that is with the cinema filter fitted.

Funnily enough, I have a £70 component lead on its way to me, but the PJ will most likely be sent to Sony by the time it arrives.

Chris S, did your quality lead solve the uniformity issue 100%?

Thanks for posting!

Any other HS10 users able to replicate this problem? On mine it only shows on a solid black background, not white, nor the blue background colour or grey.

Cheers!