1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS10 Adive Needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by benmc, Jan 11, 2003.

1. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all,

Last week I decided that I wanted to get a projector. Our viewing will mainly be from Sky via RGB and secondly DVD prob fed from out Tosh SD100E (RGB or S-Vid).

I was almost going to get the Sanyo Z1 but the throw distance is too short, so I am now looking at the HS10 and so far all seems good.

I was planning to feed sky via a RGB to S-Video converter, is this the right way to go. I am right at the max of out budget so there is nothing left for something like an iscan. Will the output be good?

In the longer term, I am going down the HCPC route so DVD should be OK?

Cheers

Ben

PS Does anyone know where I can get a Demo of the HS10 is the Berkshire area?

2. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The HS10 is apparently currently in the Sony Centre in Reading. I'm going tomorrow to have a look.

You would probably get slightly better quality by using the JS RGB--> Component video convertor. However, if your AV amp does not switch component video signals (3 * phono or BNC) then you may prefer S -video for it's convenience.

In theory the S-video cable has more than enough bandwith to cope with the demands of the signal from a SKY box which is not going to be terribly high quality because of the data rate they use in the downlink.

3. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers for the advice

I work in Reading so I can pop in one lunchtime. Do you know what the Sony Shop Price is then?

I will prob so RGB to S-Video as JS Tech now do the converter with RGB passthrough so I can leave SKY connected to the TV.

Please tell me how the demo goes and I will be in there on Monday

Ben

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yeah the component box does not have RGB pass through.

I don't know what the sony centre price is - I can guarantee they won't be cheap though! I was planning to just have a look and then buy online. I'm not keen on the idea of a foreign supplier since it's too much hassle to send it back in case of problems.

Sevenoaks hifi (again in Reading) have the Optoma H50 and will have the sony to look at in about 4 weeks or so. That might be worth waiting for - to have a side-by-side because the H50 is supposed to be a very capable unit.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    John

5. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

The UK on-line price for the HS10 seems to be about £2125.

I have got to get the screen soon and the 6 nations starts and it all has to be in by then!!

Ben