1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hs10 1080i 50hz component problems....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by beta, Apr 29, 2003.

1. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a few ppl at AVS have confirmed an issue with the hs10 at 1080i via component from an STB which is not at fault.

It appears the HS10 upsets the vertical frequency somehow.

Just wondering there must be someone in the uk/europe who runs 1080i component if they have issues as well......

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Europe doesn't have high definition TV broadcasts yet, so there won't be anyone with a STB capable of delivering anything other than a basic PAL or SECAM interlaced signal. Adding a line doubler makes the image progressive scan so bypasses the problem.

The only commercially available HD format is Hi-Def VCR. These can be bought as a personal import from the States. They put out a 1080i signal. Not may people have bought them in the UK - there is little appeal since we have no HDTV broadcasts to record. Most people are waiting for Hi-Def DVD instead.

Has Australia got Hi-Def then?

Regards

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  4. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes some capital cities have 20 hours plus a week of HD, although I believe allot of it is simply upscaled SD.

where I live there is simply a half hour or so loop HD demo played over and over, but the STB will output SD in 1080i 50hz.

so theres no where else that has 1080i at 50 hertz to try on the HS10? I have heard of 3 people having troubles with the HS10 at 1080i 50hz in Australia and if my unit simply wont do it I am going to make a loud noise to sony as I bought it to do HD

5. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes in theory but there is very little of it to actually view - once you have seen the ch9 demo loop (which is excellent BTW) pretty much everything else is just SDTV...
    Things will change in time though - the stations have to start broadcasting a certain % of HDTV by law sometime this year, which will be great as HDTV looks superb with the HS10 - far better than DVD.

FWIW, I have the very same problem with my HS10 in Melbourne - the HS10 doesnt seem to be able to lock on to the 1080i signal - it loses it randomly for a second or two every 10 mins or so. Sony are blaming the STB manufacturer and yet the same STB works fine with the Panny AE300 in 1080i mode as well as other Sony PJ's...

6. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beta pls let me know of any fix by Sony - there may be an update as there is another Aussie on the AVS forum that says his HS10 works fine with a 1080i 50hz signal - maybe the new batch have been fixed?
    Pls let me know if you want me to join you with fronting Sony about this...

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  8. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who is it that says his works fine??????

9. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Lucky buggers :rolleyes: All we've got is 4 million channels of pap :thumbsdow from Mr. Murdoch, and the irony is he's an Ozzie too!

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucky buggers is right :(

I've only seen about 15 mins of HD on my HS10 (via DVI from the PC) & it is, in one word - awesome :eek:

I forsee major problems with peeps with large collections of DVDs needing to upgrade when HD DVD (in whatever format) becomes available.

Once seen, HD makes DVD (even the best examples) look like poor VHS (in extended LP mode!).

Best of luck with 1080i :)

If you knew the resolutions/timings/refresh rate etc.. you could try sending 1080i with Powerstrip from a PC. Maybe worth a try....as an experiment.

12. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Channel 9 in WA display ER as HiDef TV every week, but I dont have my projector yet. Still a few months away. But I am looking to get the AE300 not the HS10, cant justify the extra money. So the guys in Melbourne should be able to test it once a week.

13. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    channel 9 have a HD demo loop going all time time when no programming is being broadcast - thus I can watch my HS10 go out of sync all the time ;)

14. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a bit more than that - would you beleive that Ch9 waste a whole 30 mins every day on a HD 'Burgoes Catchphrase'!! What a joke..
    Also 'McLeods Daughters' is broadcast in HD every Wed evening which is worth a look - nice scenery! :)

15. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    depends where you live - here in SA we see little HD stuff, I think its only syndey and melb that gets allot of HD

anyluck trying out that 2000a at the other guys place yet?

has he got newer firmware versions on his hs10?

16. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Beta - no luck so far - I had no reply from Richard on the other forum. I might send him a PM - it would be good to clear this up once and for all.
    How do we find out the firmware version of the HS10?

17. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go into the service menu and look at the information screen

[​IMG]

for those who want to see the whole screenshot, here it is in a 510K file

yes I know its not straight and I know theres pink at the top (known issue with STB) but its true HD shown on a HS10.

screen is 9 feet by 5 feet nylon. Picture in "standard" mode with tweaks on for RGB adjustment for cinema filter at 6500K

and for the record its a bit fuzzy due to my sony 3.2 camera in "night mode" and the fact I had frozen the image on the HS10 and was holding the camera and didnt have it on a tripod and it was running a slow shutter speed in night mode.

18. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well after going through several HD set top boxes and establishing with several other model projectors the HS10 was at fault (it wont sync properly to any progressive component PAL signal), I went back to the great shop where I bought it, and reproduced the problem on their unit, and surprise surprise, they knew of at least 3 others doing the same thing

back to sony, and they are trying a modification on my unit, something about a resistor in the video input signal path.

19. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    Beta - I've had a new HS10 for a week now. Running HD component (Info screen shows 1080i/50) from the Panasonic QTR2140 with no problems, also running progressive NTSC (Info Screen shows 480p/60) & PAL (Info screen shows 575p/50) from a DSE Harmony G1599 without any problems.

20. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm I got mine last november - and the ones where I got it do it, and thats sony central ;)

I am told there is a myriad of fizes / mods / patches updates / firmwares etc for the hs10 and literally hundreds of bulletins, how ever I dont know / see / have them. so could all be a smoke screen :)

21. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ozdvduser - Does the QTR2140 output 1080i, I was thinking of getting this settop box to work with my TW100, but it does not specify 1080i in the PDF file on the panasonic website.

Try searching on AVS for sony bulletins, I have seen links to a few about the bulb issue, people have downloaded.

22. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
    vdeknock - sure does, the HD programs look JAW DROPPING AWESOME. :D Been watching HD for over a week now and all I can say is WHAT HAVE WE BEEN MISSING - together with the DD5.1 it makes tv a whole new experience.