1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS1 safe distance to miss screen door

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MrSafety, Jan 21, 2003.

1. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any HS1 users out there tell me how far from their screen they sit and the size of their screen? I've seen posts about rule of thumb concerning screen size and distance but I'm just wondering if there is any difference for the HS1.

I saw an earlier posting about an HS10 owner considering taking his PJ back because the fan noise put him off - he subsequently decided against it and many of the respondents suggested that it was "new toy disappointment at lack of perfection" syndrome. Could it be I am suffering from the same syndrome with regard to screen-door effect. It is starting to look awfully pronounced to me and I have to shrink the screen quite small before I stop noticing it.

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I sit around 2.5m from the supplied 1.5m screen. There is definitely a little bit of screendoor effect visible when you look for it (and have seen it before), though it doesn't jump out at you.

Talking about fan noise, I see that a few people have been remarking on it with the HS10. The HS1 certainly has a very low level of fan noise to my ears and I was under the impression that it was around 29-30db so are people just being ultra-picky about the HS10 I wonder? Maybe someone who has upgraded can say?

One thing about projectors is that after the initial rush of euphoria it is certainly possible to get very sensitive to the smallest defect. I just try to chill out by enjoying the huge picture and cinema-like experience. These days I just don't notice the little imperfections - in fact my TV tube is much worse but then most people don't scrutinese CRT TVs to the extent they worry about a projector.

Gav

3. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, you're right about noticing imperfections. After noticing the screendoor on my PJ I sat down in front of my TV - 33-incher - at my normal viewing distance to see if that picture was grainy and immediately I started to see graininess which I had never even noticed before.

I think I'm getting too hung up about it - I see posts from people worried about different screen gain, and whether the Back To The Future Trilogy DVD has 2 scenes "incorrectly" scanned when compared with the LaserDisc versoin, and all sorts of minor glitches in DVD transfers, and so on, and think that maybe people are losing just a little bit of perspective.

On the other hand, I suppose if you have forked out a fair chunk of change on some kit to get a cinematic experience you probably want it to be the best you can get.

I guess I'm way off being a cineo-phile (right term?) and just somewhere above the average punter who wants a reasonable simulation of a trip to the movies which doesn't cost the earth to own - not too far off the description I have read in some HS1 reviews which say it's perfect for the jobbing amateur but if you want true cinema perfection look elsewhere and expect to pay loads more.