1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hs1 + hoya filters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by micks_address, Aug 7, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi folks -

anyone out there with hoya or simillar filters attached to their hs1? I just wondering what the best size/model combination of filter is to buy and where the best (best = cheapest :)) place to source them to Ireland.

Regards,
    Michael

2. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I use one on my Sony Cineza HS1, I got mine from the good ol' US of A. Got it from 2filter.com a very nice lady called Barbara sorted it out :)

I *think* this is the lense I bought The description on the packets states "Hoya HMC Filter, Multicoated FL-DAY, 58mm Pitch: 0.75 "

I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't a lot. I bought the 58mm lense, it fits purfectly

I hope this helps

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Thanks for that Gavin --

i'll be ordering one asap from their. i'm getting closer to a better setup with my hs1. my brother is making a ceiling mount for me (which is taking far longer than it should) and i bought a sony 930 dvd player the other week for the progressive picture. it makes a big difference. i just want to get the projector mounted now and off the coffee table so i have a hassle free setup. Did you find the fld filter made a big difference gavin?

THanks.,
    Michael

4. oneline

oneline
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also available from Jessops(hoyafld58) but not the multicoated variety.

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Yes and no, I've changed my mind about three times so far! I've tried it with and without, currently using it with again. You definately loose a little brightness, not a lot but noticeable if trying to use the projector during the day time. At the moment my view is it definately improves the contrast, although as I said, I keep changing my mind!! I would definately say give it a go, for £20 it is well worth it........well at the moment anyway :D

The other big improvement is the Progressive signal, boy that makes a huge difference. I use an Iscan Pro and can definately say it is a great investment.

I am also constantly tweaking the colour setup, so much so I think I may have changed a setting to far!! At the moment I feel my whites are being crushed, for example if somebody is wearing a white shirt, or it is a very bright scene, you loose the definition of the shirt, the wrinkles, folds, shading etc within the shirt.

I don't suppose you have you ventured into the factory setting area? If so, would you be willling to provide some default settings for your projector, I'm only after 5 numbers. I realise they will probably be different to mine, but it gives me a form of benchmark to reset to. I did write the figures down before I started fiddling, but I know can't find em....:mad:

cheers

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi Gavin - i've been in the service menu a few times - got the instructions from a thread somewhere - if you give me instructions on the settings you need i'll dig them out over the weekend

Cheers,
    Mick

7. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mick,

thanks for the offer. What I need is the following:-

Having activated the Factory Menu, from the main menu towards the bottom of the list select "W/B Adjust".

A second menu will appear showing "High", "Low", "Middle". Can you select "Low" and press "Enter". Another menu will appear showing the "Low Gain" values for the R,G,B colours can you tell me what these are set to. Then press the down arrow several times and the menu will change to "Low Bias", again can you tell me what these R,G,B values are.

Bug out of the menu, don't save anything and everything will be the same as it was before :)

I really appreciate this help.

cheers

Gavin

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi Gavin -

quick question about the filter - i've noticed in other threads where users have bosted the green and blue levels of their pjs when with the filter attached - did you have to do this with your hs1?

Thanks,
    Michael

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    i'll check the values either this evening or tomorrow Gavin and post the results back - might be Monday morning - can you tell me how to get into the service menu again? - save me digging around to find out again

Thanks,
    Michale

10. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mick,

Factory mode is Enter, Enter , Left Arrow, Enter, Up Arrow {To confirm "Yes"}. The Factory options are then available from the Main menu :smoke:

Thanks again

Gavin

11. Simon Fitz

Simon Fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Michael,

I tried to order the Hoya stuff from Amazon.com but they won't ship to Ireland from the USA ... I guess this may have something to do with the same filters being avaialble from Amazon.co.uk ... at twice the price !!!

Simon

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the Hoya filter with a HS1 running with an iscan pro. I notice on mine that whites are a little glowy - if that's a word. Particularly in a dark scene. Also, I sometimes see a blue tinge to very bright whites - eg, 3 men in a room all wearing white shirts, they'll all have a blue tinge to them...must be coming from the filter.
    It does darken the blacks though - the main problem I found with this PJ is the grey mist effect on blacks - this filter all but kills it.
    I want to play around with the coulours on mine - boost the green etc, but:
    a. It's to hot at the moment!!
    b. Avia seems to say there isn't a problem with the coulours but my eyes say different...
    c. I haven't got the bottle at the moment...:blush: Don't want to mess things up.

Gary Lightfoot, that well known master of PJ's :D is coming around next week so I'll probably have a play then and if it goes wrong, blame him...;) :D

BTW Gavin, any tips on bringing the white down would be a great help...:smashin:

13. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    And there was me thinking you may be able to give me some advice :D It sounds as though your whites description is the same as mine. I shall continue "tweaking" my Low Gain and Low Bias to see what happens :eek: As soon as I have Mick's settings I shall start all over again.

cheers

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you share them when you get them please...I brought my PJ second hand and am not sure whether it was tweaked or not when before I got it. That's the only problem I do have though - over active whites. Like a glow. Even something like the sun shining on a bald head seems to glow to white....

15. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    That glowing description is more or less what is happening with mine. If/when I resolve it I will post details.

cheers

Gavin

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Bri,

You can adjust this out of your picture with correct brigtness and contrast settings......... try getting your hands on an "Avia" disc - I got one "on loan.." from Kramer and a little tweaking with this goes a long way to sorting out a better image.

Simon,

Theres a Photography place in Dublin (off the beaten track !) where you can get a Hoya FLD (they don't do the HMC from stock, but may be able to order one for you). Mine cost abut €30, casn't remember exactly. PM me a phone number if you want more details.

On a general note, it's imortant when using the Hoya to adjust the white balance correctly - the Hoya reduces the amout of green and blue in the image, boosting them when using the filter restores a more correct colour balance, improving contrast. There is some diminuition of light output but I don't find it any disadvantage.

Sean G.

17. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi Gavin,

Just checked the settings and the values on my hs1 are

Low Gain
    R = 157
    G = 143
    B = 130

Low Bias
    R = 56
    G = 57
    B = 52

Are these the settings that need to be adjusted to re calibrate once the hoya filter is applied? I ordered the hoya from 2filfer.com. How long does delivery take do you remember?

Cheers,
    Mick

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Blimey, you're in for a big dissapointment then. The heat must've got to you. ;)

I'll have to make sure a lot of people know where I'm going on WEDNESDAY NIGHT AT ARMY BLOKES PLACE just in case I go missing and get found in a shallow grave with a Hoya filter indent in my temple... :eek:

The glowing whites sounds interesting - have you used the needle pulse test to set white and black levels? That's the first thing that comes to mind, but it sounds like you've already done that since you mentioned Avia...

I hope it cools down by Wednesday, as I'm already sweating, and it's nothing to do with the heat... ;)

Gary.

19. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mick thanks for the settings, I'll give them a try out tonight or tomorrow :smashin:

These are the settings I attempted to tweek and they definately made a difference. You will also be changing the colour/contrast/brightness settings with Avia/Video Essentials.

The filter didn't take long about 7 days if I remember correctly. They had them in stock at the time, so that helped

Thanks again

Gavin

20. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to will be ruining er playing with the settings tonight also. Thanks for that...:smashin:

21. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Unfortunately the above links are not for the same projector, so I don't think any of these settings will be applicable!

cheers

23. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mis-read his website :rolleyes:

Some of the theory of his findings might help to improve picture quality such as panel drive on the hs1 too?

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have his site in my favourites folder - the man's a wealth of information...and, IIRC, a member of these here forums...:smoke:

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a play with the PJ and have set all the settings as per the post above...mine were some way different from these and can only be the previuos owner tweaking the settings.

Now, using the filter, with the contrast set on 80 and the brightness on 50, set on low, the picture is much much more life like. Reds don't glow anymore and skin tones are no longer prange...the glow is still there but using the needle & pulses test on avai, the contrast and brightness are pretty much spot on. Looks like I'll have to live with the glow until I can afford a better PJ...but it dosen't look so bad now the rest of the colours look good.
    Watche Crocodile Hunter via Sky Box Office last night in 575/50p and it looked pretty damn good...:)

26. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I reapplied these settings, which helped enormously. What I also did was with my Iscan, turned the Contrast up, and the brightness up, from default, to about 10degrees. I know it sounds daft but this really helped. The picture is now brighter, as you would imagine, but not washed out at all. I tried doing the same with the Sony HS1 settings, but all that did was make the image completely washed out, so I guess the Iscan has some other circuitry that helps.

Anyway, thanks to Mick for supplying his settings, it helped me no end. My whites now look a lot better, and bright scenes no longer glow :eek:

cheers

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall give that a go...what settings are your PJ brightness & contrast on btw...?

28. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    My settings, as it happens, are the same as yours! Brightness 50, contrast 80. It seems as though the Iscan gives more control over the picture brightness/contrast. But I still can't get my head around why it improved it!!

What I did to callibrate the correct (well to my eye anyway!) brightness/contrast, was to play widescreen film, more than 16:9, that had a lot of bright skin shots etc. I used Star Wars I. I then adjusted the brightness so the picture looked bright, but the skin / whites glowing was not evident. I then turned up the contrast, which had the reverse effect I was expecting. I was expecting the picture to get even brighter, but it didn't, it got darker. I then adjusted the black levels using the contrast so the masking of the film in the 4:3 to 2.35:1 area all looked the same colour, dark grey. You know when you have that stepping effect in the masked area, when the 4:3 to 16:9 area is dary grey and the 16:9 to 2.35:1 area is a slightly lighter shade of dark grey!! It's this I'm talking about :)

To me, the picture looks a lot better for it. But hey, I'll probably change my mind when I watch my next film!!!

29. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Hi Gavin, Army bloke - no hassle on the settings -glad to be able to help!

When i get my hoya filter i might be on to you guys again. With the hoya filter attached are they the only settings that you had to change? Brightness 50, contrast 80 or had you still to tweak the factory menu?

The other day i calibrated the projector using the THX optimiser thing on the t2 disc. I had to increase brightness but i did this using the dvd players brightness correction (when i turned up the pjs brightness i got the double black bars effect)

I don't know if i'm imaging it but i think sine i got the progressive player i can notice the so called 'chicken wire' effect more - does the hoya help reduce that?

Cheers,
    Mick

30. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably got something to do with the settins on the DVD player. Does it have a setting called "mosquito"? If so, turn it all the way down. Since I did this with my Panasonic, the screen has all but dissapeared...