1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS1 colour problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by frog, May 31, 2003.

1. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got an HS1 in february 2002, approx 2600 hours on the clock now. The picture started showing shades of green/turquoise at approx 2000 hours. I thought it was the bulb on its last legs. Got a new bulb (took its time arriving :-(), fitted it, no difference. Tried tweaking picture settings (even through service menu) to no avail.

Found a few things on the forums but mainly panasonic related.

I have also tried a different S-Video cable to the PJ, problem occurs with DVD and TiVo, all switched through Arcam Alpha 10 Amp. Could the amp be at fault ?

What's going on ? Is there a cure ?

Cheers.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again..........

...........sounds like colour uniformity, which LCD projectors can suffer from to varying degrees. If it's just appeared then it could be heat damage in the optics, though this usually manifests itself as "yellowing", according to experiences related here.

What's the guarantee period ? Can you get it checked out by Sony ??

Sean G.

3. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Had exactly the same problem (out of guarantee) sent it back to Sony and was told it was terminal and all the internals would have to be replaced at a cost of £650. So sorry to tell you but it does not look good

4. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, albeit not exactly what I was hoping to hear.

As far as I know, the warranty period is now over, bought it 18 months ago... Will check the paperwork, just in case. So here's to hope.

Cheers.

5. frog

frog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JonMace,

did sony say anything about heat damage ? How was your projector mounted ?

Mine is on a platform, approx two feet below the ceiling, against the back wall of the room.

I didn't see anything in the documentation that suggested it shouldn't be mounted this way, do you think there may be recourse in terms of manufacturing defect, product unfit for purpose, etc...

Sounds like quite a few PJs out there are suffering from problems only a short time after being purchased, yet they are being used as they are supposed to...

Lamp life is supposedly an important factor in choosing a projector, my lamp has outlived the projector... have we got something wrong here ?

6. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    Mine was 18 months old to, warentee is only 12, it was ceiling mounted. damage was caused by heat, aparently the fact that i smoke did not help either. I would not buy a sony projecter again as it seems most other manufactures give a 3 year warentee