1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HS 50 VGA Connection Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by catesby, Apr 3, 2005.

1. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent ages reading threads about the over scanning issue with this projector but would like to confirm that I've got it right in concluding that inputs via VGA overcome the problem or rather don't suffer from it.

If this is right, can anyone tell me how to connect a DVD player to the HS 50? I haven't finalised my choice of player yet, but assuming I get one with a DVI, HDMI and component outputs (say the Denon 2910 - if I can get one that works), how do I ‘change' these into a VGA input? Exactly what cables and/or adapters do I need? (and where can I get them?)

Also, are there any particular disadvantages in using the VGA input rather than the HDMI?

All advice gratefully received.

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    You are correct, VGA hasn't suffered the problems o HDMI.

I know you can get a DVI - VGA convertor from Lindy for around a tenner. Not seen an HDMI - VGA convertor

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Not seen an HDMI - VGA convertor

And you won't! :)

4. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A DVI-I cable will carry the "full-monty" of both analogue and/or digital signals (as opposed to a DVI-D cable carrying only digital or DVI-A carrying only analogue). The DVI converter cable from Lindy takes the analogue pins of a DVI-I and connects them to an HD15 VGA connector. This assumes that the player outputs 720p on its DVI analogue pins. As far as I know the big-name up-converting DVD players (Denon, Panasonic etc.) only output upscaled video digitally :suicide: .

This would mean that for those players only the digital pins of the DVI interface are used, so a plain DVI to VGA converter cable wouldn't work. Furthermore, because they won't output upscaled video in analogue form, this means the component-out won't work either (only at 576 or 480 resolution). Finally, an HDMI output is fully digital so that can't be simply connected to VGA either.

Therefore, I think the options are these:

1. Use a scaler (IScan, Lumagen etc.) to convert DVI digital (or HDMI, or component) to VGA. But note that if the player engages the HDCP encryption for copy protection then the scaler won't output on VGA any more. Also note that if you watch any of the forthcoming Sky HD or HD-DVD sources with the copy protection on (which is likely to be enforced) then you won't get a VGA output either.

2. Don't use a DVD player at all and use a Home Theatre PC instead. That has a VGA output on it directly.

3. Find a DVD player that does output upscaled video in an analogue or non-encrypted digital form - the DVD player forum may have some threads on this. I seem to remember some of the smaller 'independent' makes (such as Momitsu?) allowing this, but this may be on older models before the rules were tightened up. However, you would need to evaluate whether the scaling and de-interlacing of these players is better than the HS-50's, if not it would be pointless using them to drive the HS-50!

4. Use a special DVI digital to VGA convertor box - which will again only legitimately work with non HDCP-encrypted content.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The Sammy HD745 can upscale over component once the MR hack is applied, this hack also disables HDCP I believe. Dunno if that gets you anywhere though, it has DVI out but presume it's DVI-D...PJ

6. catesby

catesby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kurtz
    Thanks for very the helpful information - it means I really understand what is going on now!

It would seem that if I want to keep things simple, I'll either have to put up with the HS 50's overscanning issue or hope Sony fix it or try for another make of LCD projector.

Thanks again.