HS-10 owners - lamp cover light flashes

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes when I switch mine on the lamp cover light flashes and projector doesn;t come on. When it's settled and I switch on again it's perfect. I cant see any problems with lens cover or filter cover, anyone else have this problem. I have mine ceiling mounted.

Hi Steve,

Have the very same problem I notice it only happens when I have used the projector for a long period of time like playing metroid on the GC for 4 hours solid and then switch it on next day.

I find that I can only get it to come on when I switch the HS10 off at the mains then back on again, would be good to hear if this is a more common problem or just us.

I am not to worried about this current PJ as it is getting replaced next week, not for the flashing lamp cover light but for a different fault.

Im hoping my new one will not have this problem.

Cheers

Kev

interesting mate. I may ring Krish tomorrow and ask them what I can do. I find that I only need to wait for it to set itself back to standby (about 20 secs) then switch on again with remote and it's fine. I'll update tomorrow if I talk to Krish AV.:)

actually I've just noticed the map/cover light doesn;t flash. It stays on and the on/standby light flashes while it powers down. The manual says it's when the bulb is in need of replacement..but of course it's new..:(

I have had the lamp light flash and stay solid and both times it works when i either power off at the mains or let the pj into stanby, either way it always works on the second power up.

Might just be a feature or Sony's atempt at lamp conservation.

Kev

I've had this happen once or twice. I narrowed it down to leaving the projector on standby for 5 days. It was sat on top of my amp for about 5 hours when using it to play with the PS2 and i expect it got really hot.

I unplugged it and left it off overnight, and now leave it unplugged and it's been fine ever since.

I suspect it's a ventilation issue, the filter at the bottom front is quite small and all the air gets drawn through there, so its easy to see how the Projector could overheat.

the first time that my hs10 turned on it's lamp cover light and flashed it's standby lamp was after about 78 hours of use.

I was a bit worried [as i'd read all about the 'lamp bugs' on the forums] at first.

now i'm another 100 hours on and yes, i get the problem 1 in 4 power ons probably - but i've learnt how to 'deal' with it.

I simply leave it on with the lamp cover light on and the standby light flashing. every so often i press the power button again. <b>every</b> time it eventually powers up, usually after a minute or two of trying.

I suspect that there the projector is being <i>very</i> cautious about something.

I didn't notice any sudden drop in brightness when it first happened, i've also never had to pull the power out to 'correct' this problem [thankfully - it's a very bad idea yanking the power lead out!]

/jAmES

It's a known Sony problem - search on AVS forum - an HS10 owner in Australia (builty) has the problem and according to him Sony have brought out a modification involving a new lamp cover. AFAIK, the cover and/or sensor do play up occasionally

i know it's a known problem, as i said. I just haven't seen anyone mention that you can start your projector every time if you just wait....

most people have been saying they pull the power out!

/jAmES

Same thing happened with my HS10 - started "false starting" around the hundred hour mark.

Always started without fail on the 2nd attempt. Not a major problem IMO, so I decided to live with it.

It got worse (3 out of 4 starts were "false") for a week or two, then started improving.

450 odd hours up now & it hasn't had even 1 problem start in over 2/3 months.

I'd suggest living with it - it'll eventually sort itself out. Probably the impedence of the lamp changing over time/with use.

Still loving my HS10 (the PJ with the very looooooooong throw).

:smoke:

well I;ve not had this problem since I changed my HS10 back in Fab. Now on 1088 hours and just like Kramer - lovin it..:)
...now with the added lushness of D-Thater movies.;)

some people reported in US that instead of sending the unit to repare/replace they were adviced to change the filter...

it looks like it gets very dirty fast...

After the filter change the units seem to be working without flaws...

Maybe it can help someone...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom