1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP zd8290 notebook - good enough spec?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tales 68, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Tales 68

Tales 68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a HPzd8290 notebook with the intention of running Sony Vegas Software (or similar/better? :confused:). But have just got cold feet and I'm wondering if the spec is up to it. If not I can still return it. It's a great looking notebook 17inch WXGA HD screen - Intel Pent.4 Pro.650 w/HT 3.4GHz -100GB (4200rpm) HDrive - 1024 MB DDR 553MHz SDRAM Dual Channel - ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (256MB ded.) DVD dual layer. Is this a good set up or lacking in any departments - I would greatly appreciate any comments to warm these cold feet!!!

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Take it it's got a firewire port.

The thing that may be a stumbling block looking at that is the hard drive speed.
    You can download a trial and try it out from here

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=967&FeatureID=8239

I think Vegas is great.

If the full version is a bit steep & beyond your needs there is a cheaper dummed down version.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=977

Vegas in the main runs on modest systems reasonably well compared to some other NLEs

3. Tales 68

Tales 68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy reply - yes it's got firewire - someone I was talking to today also mentioned the hard drive speed -dilemma????????

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The hard drive is not too much of a problem. Just get an external firewire HDD. You should be able to get a good sized drive for under £100 preconfigured, or a separate case and drive for a bit less.
    Don't get a USB2.0 external drive as this can be too slow for video editing.

Mark.