HP WiFi Printer - The Simple Install!

bpsmith

Even a few issues posted recently about HP WiFi Printers not playing ball with the Mac. I just had to set mine up on the Mini for the first time, as usually use the iMac to print, and had forgotten that I never installed it on the Mini.

So, my words of advice to anyone having an issue, is to follow this method.

1. Set up the printer on the printer screen itself and connect to your network either via DHCP or by manual network config.
2. Do not direct connect to Mac.
3. Do not install any App or Driver on the Mac first.
4. When sitting fully configured on the network, then try to print on the Mac itself.
5. Choose the drop down menu where printers are listed and choose the WiFi printer from the list of locally available printers.
6. Let OS X advise that the software is not installed and it downloads it on your behalf and installs.
7. Finally, once installed, just hit print and away you go.

Forgot how dead simple and logical it was. Ever so straight forward to do with minimal effort under Lion as always!

Fingers crossed this is of help to somebody in the future and stops the whiners stating that "HP printers never work with Macs", which is utter tosh!

SUMMONER

I agree with the first part, use the printers own network connection wizard to hook it up to the WLAN. However the rest not so much as you will potentially create problems with the scanning/faxmail features.

Having successfully connected the printer to the network you should download and install full driver/utility package for Mac OSX (careful, Mac OS 10.7 takes a different download then 10.5/10.6). It will take you step by step through setting up all the features and eventually adding the printer.

I have several customers with Apple Macs (Mac OS 10.6 & 10.7), using Officejet Pro 8500/8500A plus models - no problems here.

bpsmith

Perhaps different on those models but I can Scan perfectly without doing anything further to the above. Will check my model number later to confirm.

SUMMONER

Can you walk to the printer, press scan to computer (on the printer's in built screen/controls), choose your mac from the list and the scanned image pops up on the Mac?

NewfieDrool

Banned
The HP printer I tried to install which is AirPrint never worked regardless of what I tried. The way around it following other threads on the net is the setup the printer on windows machine. Have to do this as I did try the ad-hoc way but it failed to set wireless.
I need to get a firmware update and it can only be done via windows then I set the printer up on the network then I install it, make and create a printer, set it up and then delete printer and add another under bonjour listing?? All a bit new to me as I'm just not use to macs.
Some have managed to get it going as its only 10.6 compatible and now have to wait for the HP update to get full use out of it in a correct way.

bpsmith

Can you walk to the printer, press scan to computer (on the printer's in built screen/controls), choose your mac from the list and the scanned image pops up on the Mac?

Not tried tbh, as I normally scan using the Mac itself. Might be useful when I relocate the printer somewhere out of sight though. Will test it out tonight.

Are you suggesting I need to install further software in order to get this working in the above manner?

bpsmith

The HP printer I tried to install which is AirPrint never worked regardless of what I tried. The way around it following other threads on the net is the setup the printer on windows machine. Have to do this as I did try the ad-hoc way but it failed to set wireless.
I need to get a firmware update and it can only be done via windows then I set the printer up on the network then I install it, make and create a printer, set it up and then delete printer and add another under bonjour listing?? All a bit new to me as I'm just not use to macs.
Some have managed to get it going as its only 10.6 compatible and now have to wait for the HP update to get full use out of it in a correct way.

Mine is a Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer. THink the model shows as C310a. I set it up on the network from the onboard touch screen and then let the Mac find it. Was dead easy. No need to mess around full stop.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
SUMMONER said:

Yes, with my HP Photosmart all in one.

NewfieDrool

Banned
bpsmith said:
Mine is a Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer. THink the model shows as C310a. I set it up on the network from the onboard touch screen and then let the Mac find it. Was dead easy. No need to mess around full stop.

The Printer I tried to install was the HP P1102W, installed ok with USB but under the software it fails with error messages on the HTML settings. Worked around that by finding its address then putting it in the browser which took the mac out of the network then did settings but still failed.
I have a canon at home and that was simple, just plug in and download driver and away.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I installed mine with the setup disc which asks at the start if you want to use the printer with wireless or USB and it then walks you through the process. I selected the wireless option.
I installed it using this method on my MacBook Pro and again on my wife's MacBook Air running Lion and both installed first time with no hiccups.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom