HP Reverb G2

For anyone having issues with the G2 with an x570 board I can confirm that this £20 pcie usb 3.0 board fixes the issue completely, my frustrations have gone and i can now enjoy trouble free vr View attachment 1488746
That looks identical to the board I have on my X570 for my Vive Pro, but with a different name. Sorted it out (mostly).

Very similar anyway:
1617564367410.png

That looks identical to the board I have on my X570 for my Vive Pro, but with a different name. Sorted it out (mostly).

Very similar anyway:
niceView attachment 1488776

nice guys! :smashin:

ill just need an ATX card and case to go with that!!! any ITX solutions welcome :p

to be fair I've only got mine out the box to check its all in one piece as been working (shifts),

hoping to get it connected this week, got all the software installed, just need to plug it in ! and hope i don't get any USB issues !

any ITX solutions welcome :p
I'm using this with my ITX motherboard:
Amazon product ASIN B00VE4UJD4
Without it Windows Mixed Reality just won't see the headset at all.
With it it connects first time, every time. But I still get the occasional blue screen for a second or two. Which sounds like the AMD USB (dis)connection issue, even though I'm running a BIOS with the AMD USB fix apparently.

Got an email from HP this morning that my headset is due to be delivered 17th March (it was).

I'm using this with my ITX motherboard:
Amazon product ASIN B00VE4UJD4
Without it Windows Mixed Reality just won't see the headset at all.
With it it connects first time, every time. But I still get the occasional blue screen for a second or two. Which sounds like the AMD USB (dis)connection issue, even though I'm running a BIOS with the AMD USB fix apparently.

Got an email from HP this morning that my headset is due to be delivered 17th March (it was).

ah ok that makes sense, glad its working for you,

i actually have one of these so very similar,
Amazon product ASIN B083QJ87JJbut my 1st thoughts would of been to connect to the usb 3.2 (RED) or usb C, on the back panel,

will see if there is a bios update for my board, and will try the back panel 1st, but if i run into issues will use the hub

:smashin:

I got an email from HP too. I thought I’d become a recipient of their non-existent BOGOF scheme 😂.

Ok so installed and setup my G2 today!

Coming from a Oculus quest, im impressed really impressed, i know the WMR environment is not full on, but its strange the small things you see, like literally the SEA! And the trees, just wow,
anyway still trying to find my feet, but managed to load steam and load Alyx,

graphics compared to the oculus are just night and day, but coming from 72hz to 90z also makes a difference, didn't have any sicky feelings like i would time to time with the quest,

the controlllers seem ok actually, but i have a dedicated pc room with Philips hue downlights so i can control the light in the room really well as i understand this can make a difference, it certainly seemed to be working anyway

ive bought myself a thinner faceplate off Etsy as i understand this can help with the fov and binocular effect, although i have to say i do find this quite minimal and not really a problem in game, but for £34 its worth a try to see if it improves it even more

so couple of questions

is there any ways to switch off/power down the headset when the pc is on ?

also what does everybody do with the headset when they are not using it ?,
i used to keep my oculus in a cushioned box, but just not sure how to disconnect the G2 as dont want to keep disconnecting the cable at the headset, and its a lot of cable to coil up from the pc, for now its all connect with the cable coming out of the corner of the box,

also is there anything out there to use to protect the lenses when not in use ?

Ok so installed and setup my G2 today!

Coming from a Oculus quest, im impressed really impressed, i know the WMR environment is not full on, but its strange the small things you see, like literally the SEA! And the trees, just wow,
anyway still trying to find my feet, but managed to load steam and load Alyx,

graphics compared to the oculus are just night and day, but coming from 72hz to 90z also makes a difference, didn't have any sicky feelings like i would time to time with the quest,

the controlllers seem ok actually, but i have a dedicated pc room with Philips hue downlights so i can control the light in the room really well as i understand this can make a difference, it certainly seemed to be working anyway

ive bought myself a thinner faceplate off Etsy as i understand this can help with the fov and binocular effect, although i have to say i do find this quite minimal and not really a problem in game, but for £34 its worth a try to see if it improves it even more

so couple of questions

is there any ways to switch off/power down the headset when the pc is on ?

also what does everybody do with the headset when they are not using it ?,
i used to keep my oculus in a cushioned box, but just not sure how to disconnect the G2 as dont want to keep disconnecting the cable at the headset, and its a lot of cable to coil up from the pc, for now its all connect with the cable coming out of the corner of the box,

also is there anything out there to use to protect the lenses when not in use ?
You can press the x button top right of the mixed reality window, it then comes up with a box saying shutdown headset, click yes and it goes off.

You can press the x button top right of the mixed reality window, it then comes up with a box saying shutdown headset, click yes and it goes off.
Ah ok thanks yep i did do that, the HP symbol on the headset stayed on so just assumed it didn’t actually switch off,
but that makes sense as 1st time i started pc with the G2 connected i could not figure out why it had not switch on, but just out of curiosity/ frustration i started the wmr app and it then sprung to life !

Well done @darren68uk. Glad you got up and running okay. Have you tried it with MSFS yet?
Not yet :)
i take it i have to make sure the registry is set right for openXR? , when i had the oculus quest it was either set for oculus or steamvr, but from what i understand, you dont need steamvr for the G2 to run msfs?

Revised with eye tracking and heart rate monitor

So twice the price for mouth and eye tracking, heart rate monitor and an adjustable head strap?
I think i will give it a miss.

Mouth tracking will only be useful for those who use VR social media (not me), i have a heart rate monitor on my watch, i have never adjusted the head strap yet on my G2 since setting it 6 months ago. There is only really eye tracking that is useful.

Now if it had a better FOV and controllers then that would be a different story.

And you can guarantee that 99% of titles won’t support eye-tracking, as only the tiniest section of people will have bought them. I’ll stick thanks 😀

Last edited:
Strange that he doesn’t mention using it for simulation at all. Which, as most of us know, is it’s main selling point. Instead he’s talking about boxing and shooting. Horses for courses and all that o_O

Honestly glad i got to use mine before watching that review! which i didnt watch :laugh:

don't need to, really happy with my G2, played Phantom: Covert Ops last night from my oculus library, was blown away with the graphics compared to playing on Quest 1

then loaded MSFS,
haven't had a real chance to dial in the graphics yet as the Quest struggled with a lot of it, but sitting in the spitfire seeing every individual scratch on the canopy WOW!

loading MSFS was so much easier than from the quest

no real gltiches or freezes flying, really smooth so far,

and i am not having too much trouble with the controllers, but i personally think coming from the quest 1 has done me a favour, its certainly no worse in a lot of features, but then so so much better in others including the view :)

do think the FOV could be a little better, but im hoping my new face cover thats winging its way from the Czech republic will help with that :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed how much friendlier it is to use with MSFS. Previously, with my Q2, firing things up had to be done in a very exact way. And sometimes the Oculus software would insist on getting in the way. Now, with the G2, I can either fire up MSFS first, or launch it via WMR, and there are no downsides to which order. Can’t comment on the tracking of the controllers at all, because I haven’t used either one in anger. Just use the right controller occasionally to fire up MSFS. And that’s it.

Yeah, I noticed how much friendlier it is to use with MSFS. Previously, with my Q2, firing things up had to be done in a very exact way. And sometimes the Oculus software would insist on getting in the way. Now, with the G2, I can either fire up MSFS first, or launch it via WMR, and there are no downsides to which order. Can’t comment on the tracking of the controllers at all, because I haven’t used either one in anger. Just use the right controller occasionally to fire up MSFS. And that’s it.

im nervous now, as other than installing all the initial software, its not been too badly behaved but have a bois update to do, and will need to tweak the settings to get the best out of the G2, they say if it works just leave it :censored:

the only glitch i have had is i restarted pc last night and despite loading WMR which seems to wake the G2 up it didnt, so ended up restarting my pc again which fixed it, i could of unplugged the usb port but didnt bother on this occasion,

Is it the motherboard that needs the BIOS update, or the GPU? I did my motherboard, and it was simplicity itself. However, when I looked at the hoops necessary for flashing the GPU with a new VBIOS, and the possible catastrophic result, I wimped out 😲

Is it the motherboard that needs the BIOS update, or the GPU? I did my motherboard, and it was simplicity itself. However, when I looked at the hoops necessary for flashing the GPU with a new VBIOS, and the possible catastrophic result, I wimped out 😲

its the Motherboard, shouldn't affect much, but obviously it resets to default so have to go thru and re enable stuff!
my GPU has 2 bios and 3 presets! I'm leaving it well alone!
I'll happily software Oc it, but that's it,

The biggest issue with the G2 for me is the very small ‘sweet spot’, about the size of a 10p piece, in the centre of the view...

In this area the view is pin sharp, but outside of this, it’s blurry, and only comes into focus if you move your head to look directly at the thing (dial in MSFS) that you want to see...

This, I imagine, is simply a function of the lenses that are used, and nothing to do with performance...but it is the one thing that annoys me about using it in MSFS and does stop me from using it more...

Since I got my 3090, I am very happy with the performance (fps) that I get, but I just wish that there was a way to widen the central focused area, which I don’t think is the same as people increasing their FOV with custom masks etc...

The biggest issue with the G2 for me is the very small ‘sweet spot’, about the size of a 10p piece, in the centre of the view...

In this area the view is pin sharp, but outside of this, it’s blurry, and only comes into focus if you move your head to look directly at the thing (dial in MSFS) that you want to see...

This, I imagine, is simply a function of the lenses that are used, and nothing to do with performance...but it is the one thing that annoys me about using it in MSFS and does stop me from using it more...

Since I got my 3090, I am very happy with the performance (fps) that I get, but I just wish that there was a way to widen the central focused area, which I don’t think is the same as people increasing their FOV with custom masks etc...
The closer you are to the lens the bigger that sweet spot becomes, I'm used to moving my head instead of my eyes now to look at something. I still feel the sweet spot isn't that much of an issue though for my use case

OK thanks...I just assumed that custom masks only increased your FOV (which I’m OK with), but I didn’t realise it also enlarged the sweet spot...maybe I’ll look at getting one.

Most of the ones I’ve seen on YouTube are home made or 3D printed ones...I can’t be bothered with all of that...are there ready built ones that you can purchase anywhere?

Thanks

OK thanks...I just assumed that custom masks only increased your FOV (which I’m OK with), but I didn’t realise it also enlarged the sweet spot...maybe I’ll look at getting one.

Most of the ones I’ve seen on YouTube are home made or 3D printed ones...I can’t be bothered with all of that...are there ready built ones that you can purchase anywhere?

Thanks
Vrcover do one I think

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom