HP Reverb G2

I really don’t like Nvidia because of their price gouging forcing them price of GPUs through the roof but it allows more room for AMD to dominate the console space I guess.

You sound like @snowdog ;)
I am no NV fanboy but end of the day they bought is hardware accelerated Raytracing 2 years before AMD, superior VR performance and at the sharp end still have by far the fastest monitor based performance.
And let's be honest... At the mid range AMD offer better performance for your £.... But at the expense of no RTX or DLSS .... And it's not like AMD are giving us huge gains of performance for your £.

I am hopeful for next gen amd GPUs... But I have heard it all before when it comes to AMD. Remember the Vega64 nonsense? Add to that it usually takes 12 months for and cards to actually perform to their best by which point they will be a generation behind again.
I want to have a tough decision to make when I change my 1080ti but it's been a long long time since AMD competed at the sharp end imo

TLDR AMD are not the kind hearted value company people claim they to be, in the GPU space they offer slightly better value but really not that much when you consider what you give up imo.

I think calling Nvidia price gougers is more justified because physically most cards are the same size and adding 100% to the price for a 20% increase in performance isn’t good value for money. Prices should either come down or performance go up relative to each other. I’m never going to pay over £700 for a GPU. The price of silicon is the same price of sand but the cost of R&D is what adds the value. The 2080ti is one of the worse priced GPUs in history imo.

If Valve released a £1000 headset it would have to come with 180 degree horizontal FOV and perfect lenses with no distortion and no glare. Aka StarVR. That added value justifies the price increase.

The Index with a 1080ti are great partners. It’s going to take something really fancy to separate them.

Please don’t say I sound like Snowdog ever again. Lol

Please don’t say I sound like Snowdog ever again. Lol

I must admit I am pretty excited for raytracing..... And ray tracing in VR should be amazing (did the RTX in death patch ever come btw?)

Even older games like quake and Minecraft look almost like new games with the new lighting.

Be it next gen AMD or next gen NV, I have a feeling I will be digging deep and opening my wallet for some ray tracing goodness.

My fear is whether my overclocked i7 5820k will be up to it.... But am derailing now sorry.

PS I was just pulling your leg .. whether we agree or strongly disagree on stuff I would hope we could have a bit of friendly banter over what is a gaming hobby at end of day. I hope we never go down the road of what happened over on oculus forums. There were no winners there and that was not a pleasant place to be

You sound like @snowdog ;)
I am no NV fanboy but end of the day they bought is hardware accelerated Raytracing 2 years before AMD, superior VR performance and at the sharp end still have by far the fastest monitor based performance.
And let's be honest... At the mid range AMD offer better performance for your £.... But at the expense of no RTX or DLSS .... And it's not like AMD are giving us huge gains of performance for your £.

I am hopeful for next gen amd GPUs... But I have heard it all before when it comes to AMD. Remember the Vega64 nonsense? Add to that it usually takes 12 months for and cards to actually perform to their best by which point they will be a generation behind again.
I want to have a tough decision to make when I change my 1080ti but it's been a long long time since AMD competed at the sharp end imo

TLDR AMD are not the kind hearted value company people claim they to be, in the GPU space they offer slightly better value but really not that much when you consider what you give up imo.

Nowt wrong with sounding like the snowdog, cos the snowdog ALWAYS talks sense :cool:

You've pretty much saved me a load of typing there mate. People generally don't mind paying more if there's enough of a power gap between a more expensive NVidia card and a cheaper AMD card.

And I'd have quite happily paid £919 for a Valve Index if Valve weren't taking the piss with their pricing of the Lighthouse base stations and controllers. The headset only price is VERY reasonable, but for the full bundle at that sort of price, like I've mentioned before, I'd want either Reverb or Pimax resolution at least. If the Index was a 2K headset (like the Reverb) or a 2.5K headset (like the Pimax) I would have bought one without a second thought, but only having 1440x1600 was a dealbreraker for me. There isn't that much difference between the resolution of the Rift S and the Index and the Index is 2.3 times the price.

And going back to GPUs for the moment, these days I'd rather get an NVidia GPU because the drivers have been so mauch better for YEARS now.

I've always preferred the Red team to the Green team but in terms of power the Red team aren't in the same league.

Nowt wrong with sounding like the snowdog, cos the snowdog ALWAYS talks sense :cool:

You've pretty much saved me a load of typing there mate. People generally don't mind paying more if there's enough of a power gap between a more expensive NVidia card and a cheaper AMD card.

And I'd have quite happily paid £919 for a Valve Index if Valve weren't taking the piss with their pricing of the Lighthouse base stations and controllers. The headset only price is VERY reasonable, but for the full bundle at that sort of price, like I've mentioned before, I'd want either Reverb or Pimax resolution at least. If the Index was a 2K headset (like the Reverb) or a 2.5K headset (like the Pimax) I would have bought one without a second thought, but only having 1440x1600 was a dealbreraker for me. There isn't that much difference between the resolution of the Rift S and the Index and the Index is 2.3 times the price.

And going back to GPUs for the moment, these days I'd rather get an NVidia GPU because the drivers have been so mauch better for YEARS now.

I've always preferred the Red team to the Green team but in terms of power the Red team aren't in the same league.

No HMD exists that fits your requirments. So you picked the price of the Rift S over the specs of the Index.

I've gone from Vive's limited FOV to Pimaxes wide FOV to Indexes middle FOV. In my opinion because I've tried them all I found Index is best. I've also tried my mates Quest and Touch controllers.

I don't think you've tried either the Pimax or the Index or the Quest??? So you can't be talking sense. You're just convincing yourself you made the right choice based off price and paper specs.

I must admit I am pretty excited for raytracing..... And ray tracing in VR should be amazing (did the RTX in death patch ever come btw?)

Even older games like quake and Minecraft look almost like new games with the new lighting.

Be it next gen AMD or next gen NV, I have a feeling I will be digging deep and opening my wallet for some ray tracing goodness.

My fear is whether my overclocked i7 5820k will be up to it.... But am derailing now sorry.

PS I was just pulling your leg .. whether we agree or strongly disagree on stuff I would hope we could have a bit of friendly banter over what is a gaming hobby at end of day. I hope we never go down the road of what happened over on oculus forums. There were no winners there and that was not a pleasant place to be

Ray Tracing is the future but Nvidia charge you more for the pleasure. Then its more taxing on the GPU so you end up paying for it in lost performance.

I enjoy the banter too as I suspect Snowdog does and its all in good humour. Not like it was on the other Forum when Mr Z tried to take over and made it his mission to eliminate the competition.

We're much more friendly here... :eek::laugh:

Did I read somewhere that the G2 was going to be unveiled at the end of May?

Did I read somewhere that the G2 was going to be unveiled at the end of May?

That was me.

Microsoft have announed the date for their next Mixed Reality Dev Days on May 21-22. Could this be the day we see the new HP Reverb G2? Maybe...

could be a contender for the RiftS area of the market. But I guess this will be better marketed as valve are involved. Microsoft are not very good at promoting their own products, unless it’s an Xbox.

Going to be interesting to see if Oculus open up the Oculus Store for it. I suspect they didn't do this for the previous WVR headsets because the tracking was a load of old pants, we'll have to wait and see.

Although Valve could have a contract in place that prevents this in their deal as a sales partner.

Looks to confirm that they're not using Lighthouse tracking though if this is legit.

Looks like we get the specs on the 28th.

The big question for me is will this headset be OpenXR ready or will Microsoft and Valve keep the Steam App and stop this headset ever being native to the Oculus Store if Oculus decide you open doors.

I still think this headset will be XBOX ready either way and Alyx will be a launch title. But let’s see on the 28th.

We might get more than one HMD announced on the 28th. A stand-alone would be nice or maybe Samsung have something up their sleeve.

Can’t wait.

Well if we can read anything into the quote a “more immersive, comfortable and compatible VR experience,” that means a Wider FOV better Audio and tracking, with a more seamless software integration, it also clearly has manual IPD adjustment so the visuals can be can be quickly and accurately adjusted, I currently use the first gen Reverb, and that is an excellent vr headset, but this new version has me interested to say the least.

OpenXR is nowhere near ready for Prime Time unfortunately. It's still in the prototype stage and only AR use is supported for the Unity and Unreal Engines the last I heard.

That was certainly the case a few months ago anyway, but maybe things have changed since then?

Disappointing because this was due to be released last year. :(

What are claimed to be leaked images of the Reverb.

Screenshot_20200524_083636_com.reddit.frontpage.jpg

If real those look exactly like the excellent speakers of the Index. Looks like the same fabric on the cushions too.

Almost certainly inside-out WMR tracking but this time using four cameras, so a potential upgrade in terms of tracking. Lighthouse free tracking is a worthwhile alternative to the Index, so that's likely why Valve appear to be so supportive of this.

Controllers look a little developed from the old WMR but appear to be falling well short of the Knuckle's standard, which is a shame. And without Steam tracking it will be almost impossible to use the Knuckles with the Reverb. This is quite a disappointment.

Last edited:
Anyone think RiftS sales are going to tank when this headset comes out? Built in headphones, IPD adjuster bigger FOV. I just hope this headset has leant from RiftS and Cosmos launches when it comes to tracking.

I guess RiftS will have to keep a £200 price differential to keep it relevant. I suspect Reverb G2 will start at £600 which won’t put any pressure on Rift S at launch but will come into play further down the road if sales dry up or if Valve, Microsoft and HP drive for market share forcing Oculus out of PCVR altogether.

Out of interest what are other people’s price estimates?

I don't think it will affect RiftS sales very much. The big kick this needs if for M$ to come out and support it on the new Xbox consoles. I`m gonna go with £400 - £450 estimate for starters.

If the G2 was priced at £400 I think RiftS sales would just cease altogether. G2 would be giving you a lot more for your money and free you of the Oculus software install.

What are claimed to be leaked images of the Rever

If real those look exactly like the excellent speakers of the Index. Looks like the same fabric on the cushions too.

Almost certainly inside-out WMR tracking but this time using four cameras, so a potential upgrade in terms of tracking. Lighthouse free tracking is a worthwhile alternative to the Index, so that's likely why Valve appear to be so supportive of this.

Controllers look a little developed from the old WMR but appear to be falling well short of the Knuckle's standard, which is a shame. And without Steam tracking it will be almost impossible to use the Knuckles with the Reverb. This is quite a disappointment.

I can't see it being 400, probably 600 or 500 at the very least.

I'm REALLY hoping that it has NextBox support. That would be HUGE. But I doubt it because Microsoft are a pile of old pants.

I can't see it being 400, probably 600 or 500 at the very least.

I'm REALLY hoping that it has NextBox support. That would be HUGE. But I doubt it because Microsoft are a pile of old pants.

4 days to go. :cool:

Plus as I've mentioned previously Oculus are probably making around $100 or so on every unit sold since it launched, and it's been out for a year so production costs would have come down quite a bit. They could cut the price to 300 and still make a profit on it if they had to.

They will price it at probably 500-600. If they did it at 400, its game over for Oculus in PCVR.

Lets be honest, Oculus have pretty much dumped the Rift S anyway. Its just their ugly bulky cousin against their love child, the Quest.
The only reason the Rift S has not died is because of a VR headset shortage at that price range and the failure and over pricing of the cosmos.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom