HP Reverb G2

JohnnyC1969

Standard Member
for me it is mostly about the VR, with it i love the game and can play for a good hr or so at a time, without it, it would literally be flat.
You could easily be describing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 there. Although MSFS2020 does have exceptionally nice graphics too. But since playing any flight sim in VR I can't go back to playing them on a monitor.

Not played much with my new Intel PC, but so far so good. I no longer need a powered USB hub, the G2 just connects immediately when plugging it into the USB Type-C port. No blue screen glitches either, happy days!

Not yet :)
i take it i have to make sure the registry is set right for openXR? , when i had the oculus quest it was either set for oculus or steamvr, but from what i understand, you dont need steamvr for the G2 to run msfs?

How do you do this by the way? I cant get this right so have to use SteamVR for MSFS.

ArmitageShanks

After months of being unopened, I finally broken out the G2 from it box and given it a whirl. As expected, my crappy Asus X570 motherboard wanted nothing to do with it, but the separate USB 3.0 card was more accepting.

Clarity-wise, it looks better than my Vive Pro, but I wouldn't call it a night-and-day difference. Flight sims like IL-2 really play to its strengths, easy to pick out enemies at a distance. Black levels and colours are good, but not amazing. Way better than the Pimax 8K, worse than the Vive as expected. Certainly very acceptable and if I didn't have a Vive Pro I'd be none the wiser. FOV is roughly the same as the Pro with lens inserts.

Controllers are... distinctly average. Playing Pavlov is problematic when aiming down the gun as I suspected it might be. Will need to get the Index controllers working with this instead!

darren68uk

Controllers are... distinctly average. Playing Pavlov is problematic when aiming down the gun as I suspected it might be. Will need to get the Index controllers working with this instead!

Be interested how you get on with them, if it where just a case of changing them over and pairing them I’d be in, but lighthouses etc, and you get drifting on them so need resetting constantly, obviously just what i have gleamed but like i say if you find its the dogs nuts, i might reconsider myself :)

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
New update for SteamVR and Windows mixed reality for SteamVR if using the beta, right click on it on steam, properties and opt in for the beta if you're not in it already.
Which now gives you the option to change the world scale on a per game basis, made a difference on iracing setting the world scale to 110 percent, everything feels the proper size now

JohnnyC1969

Standard Member
I've tried those OpenXR settings, and now MSFS runs much smoother. Makes my 2070 run like a 3080 :)
And now I've gone from an RTX 2070 Super to a Radeon 6800 XT, everything seems to be mostly ok. Minor artefacts in IL-2.
But MSFS is just terrible. Probably caused by the enabling of reprojection in openXR, need to investigate.

darren68uk

And now I've gone from an RTX 2070 Super to a Radeon 6800 XT, everything seems to be mostly ok. Minor artefacts in IL-2.
But MSFS is just terrible. Probably caused by the enabling of reprojection in openXR, need to investigate.
ive just watched a video were that should be disabled! havent watched it all as at work, but worth a look, he also has a vid on his settings, i also have a 6800XT, so keen to get the best out of it,

JohnnyC1969

Standard Member
ive just watched a video were that should be disabled! havent watched it all as at work, but worth a look, he also has a vid on his settings, i also have a 6800XT, so keen to get the best out of it,
Will try it tonight. Just odd that a gpu could make a difference as reprojection enabled was fine on my 2070.
Have to say, the Radeon software settings is quite overwhelming with the number of options available. I even notice there was some sort of integration with SteamVR too.

darren68uk

Will try it tonight. Just odd that a gpu could make a difference as reprojection enabled was fine on my 2070.
Have to say, the Radeon software settings is quite overwhelming with the number of options available. I even notice there was some sort of integration with SteamVR too.

yes the Radeon settings are quite involved, add 2-3 different bios to select, total recipe to blow things up ! ha ha,

AMD's answer to DLSS is due in june, so will see if that helps any, but not sure what impact DLSS has in MSFS ! but hopefully will make a difference in other games

interesting re SteamVR integration, wonder how that works

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom