HP Reverb (Copper) VR Headset

Lol if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then oculus should be very flattered :D

Specs seem good (would have liked a 140+ fov mind you) but until winMR can increase its visible tracking area for controllers it is not for me.

Well I can't see this selling well AT ALL.

Firstly, being made out of Copper, it's going to cost a bloody fortune. And secondly it's going to weigh a bloody tonne. :eek:

Will look badass though lol :D

Women can stick their hair thru the hole in the back of the strap for the ultimate in comfort.

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-vr-4k-599/

Some thoughts from Upload VR.

Neat that the controllers connect to the headset by Bluetooth rather than the PC.

114° fov apparently. A little bigger than Rift / Vive. I think fov is a bigger challenge than we are assuming it to be.

Though it's less pixels than Pimax 5k, as they are spread over a lesser fov there is probably a higher pixel density, so maybe less SDE.

Interesting that they ditched the PS style hat head mount and went for something closer to the Vive's DAS.

It's reassuring to see hardware vendors sticking with Windows MR. Was wondering whether many of them had been successful enough to drive a gen 2.

Last edited:
In terms of commanding my attention, the Reverb is currently in the lead!

MRTV have had a play...

This thing is wonderful!

I WOULD be looking at the Reverb as my next headset but there are three things that are ruling it out:

1) I don't agree with giving Bill Gates money lol

2) The tracking isn't as good as the Rift S

3) Without eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering you'll need a 2080/Ti to run anything decent on it.

Road to VR have written up their thoughts...

Hands-on: HP's Pixel-packed 'Reverb' Sets a New Bar for Windows VR Headsets

My hope for Valve's HMD is dwindling and this is gathering my attention!

Share similar concerns about the tracking but my understanding is it is good enough and only very specific scenarios where deadzones can cause an issue with controllers. Would still probably want to try it first before reaching for my credit card though.

Road to VR have written up their thoughts...

Hands-on: HP's Pixel-packed 'Reverb' Sets a New Bar for Windows VR Headsets

My hope for Valve's HMD is dwindling and this is gathering my attention!

Share similar concerns about the tracking but my understanding is it is good enough and only very specific scenarios where deadzones can cause an issue with controllers. Would still probably want to try it first before reaching for my credit card though.

The tracking will be awful because there are only 2 cameras on the front. This will only be useful for people that want to play cockpit games, but even then the likes of DCS World will be impossible to play with a decent framerate.

Any headset 2K or over needs eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering tbh, we've seen this from people with a 2.5K headset like the Pimax struggling to keep at a steady 80fps with a 2080Ti with some games.

I'm aware of the issues with behind the head / body positions for games such as archery and pool and for streamers trying to use green screens but for almost everything else the reports I've seen are that the tracking works well.

Not arguing with you though. Lighthouse absolutely is superior tracking tech and more cameras should mean fewer dead zones. How good is good enough is subjective. I'd wanna try it before buying it.

I'd probably appreciate a justification for a new GPU :D

Unfortunately it's starting to look like Lighthouse tracking is d00med at this point with HTC now abandoning it.

You'll still have the Valve headset using it (assuming it exists in the first place of course!) and you'll still see Pimax headsets using it but if HTC replace the Vive with the Cosmos then you'll see less headsets out there using it.

HP have definitely made an impact here. The price isn't bad (apparently 599 US for the commercial market).

Welcome to the party, HP :clap:

Nice. Out at the end of April too. If the likes of Amazon stock these (with no quibble returns) i'll have to try one.

I am dubious of rift S with 5 camera tracking. No way I am trusting windows MR tracking.

Not an issue for me.. I never use the controllers in driving and flight sims. The headset on the Odyssey tracks perfectly, even on a motion platform.

I am dubious of rift S with 5 camera tracking. No way I am trusting windows MR tracking.

WMR has been around a while now. There have been some issues with specific use cases (controllers behind the head, dark room and green screens) but on the whole the tracking seems to be acceptable and worth the convenience of not having external sensors.

We should all try before we buy of course but by now I think we should accept that this works a lot more often than it doesn't!

I am sure it does work more often than it doesn't but coming from a full 360 degree tracking of rift (or vive) ...........
I totally get if you only care about driving, flying or pad vr it's a different matter, then this hmd is almost a no brainer

I REALLY liking the look of some of these through the lens pictures that MRTV bloke is taking.

Pics are here:

Oculus Discussion Forums

So frustrating that the bloody thing only has 2 cameras, I couldn't possibly put up with the WVR tracking!!! :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom