HP ProLiant N40L or custom build

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by piam, Jul 28, 2012.

1. piam

piam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking at getting a NAS for a while now but as I have an apple tv you cannot stream from a NAS direct to apple tv. Only from an iTunes. (Apple TV 3) so its not jail broken.

I have seen many people using the HP ProLiant N40L as it is very cheap for what it is. I am looking at putting WHS 2011 as I can use it for storage and media streaming. I can also install Install iTunes on it and stream to the apple tv by having my video collection inside iTunes. of which most of the movies are 1080p. so it must be able to stream 1080p. would it need a better graphics card to stream? or do I only need a better graphics card if I want to play movies on the server itself

Would the HP ProLiant N40L be capable to do these things? or would building my own home server be a better option. I have been looking at the I3 2100 for a build as its similar price to the HP

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. STdrez625

STdrez625
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    A good gfx card is not needeed in the server to stream the movies, that merely relys on the CPU and the network speed. The grfx on the receiving end need to to be able to play the stream and file type (PS3, WDTV,PC) which might mean a gfx card. The inbuilt gfx on the latest Intels and AMD's are good enough to play back almost all formats, with the right software.
    Correct.

3. piam

piam
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for confirming this. But will the processor be ok then? or will it struggle to stream at 1080p.

4. steve-o

steve-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The N40L streams 1080p perfectly.

5. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    As already mentioned if all you're doing is streaming the file and the device you're streaming to can handle the file type, then the Microserver will stream multiple 1080p jusr fine.

However if the device you're streaming to can't handle the file type so the server needs to transcode to a file type the device can handle then the Microserver will struggle with this, for reliable transcoding you need a more powerful processor such as an i3 or i5.

6. psikey

psikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    I use a number of WDTV Live media boxes around the house and can easily stream 5 x 1080p movies simultaneously from my N40L over gigabit LAN.

But, if you have a device that doesn't play a media file natively (like a PS3 or XBOX 360) transcoding of the file would be needed and the N40L struggles with a single high bitrate 1080p movie (can handle a single 720p file I find using TwonkyMedia).

7. deep1986

deep1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've got an N40L and absolutely love it. However, I've realised that there just wont be enough space for what I will need it for. I don't want to jam the thing full of drives so I'm going to have a max of 5 in there. 4 in the normal slots and 1 in the dvd drive space.

I've got 7TB of storage at the moment and that is almost full up. In a few months I'm sure it'll be full again. So in time I will be purchasing a normal tower PC and creating my own server. There is a Fractal case that can take around 13 drives which will be ample. That will future proof me for a very long time I think.

In my opinion, think about how quickly you'll fill up the drives and then decide from there.