Quantcast

HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L Owner's Thread *Part 5*

Cypermethrin

Standard Member
I have N54L with WHS2011 insatalled and all is well

But I want to boot from a USB to run Memtest and despite me pressing F10 I only get two options

1/ boot into Whs2011
2/ another option which tries to load some HP media driver which fails

I was expecting to be able to press F10 and go straight int the BIOS screen

Any clues

Thanks

toddy28

just got my microserver and im wondering whats the best os

it will only be used for storing my film collection , going with 4 3tb drives

windows home server or windows server 2012 ? I can get a 1 user (multible devices of server 2012 for £25)

I just want to be able to drag and drop films ripped from my pc on to the microserver and access them from my media player , no transcoding needed

also it needs to be fast enough to play 3d iso rips

will also be running it headless

thanks for any advice (or should I box it up and get a qnap ;) )

MilhouseVH

FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Unraid - why the expense of Windows if you just want a headless file server? Most non-Windows operating systems are free and will also run off a 2GB USB memory stick, unlike Windows which usually requires a HDD.

toddy28

I just want easy access like I do on my current wd mybook live 3tb drives , and pc back up I forgot to mention that

I'm new at the microserver thing

joelk2

Distinguished Member
I experimented with the free ones but they tended to be a pain for my setup which is multi platform. I went with home server 11 and it was a breeze to setup. My server is headless too.

It transcodes my films through plex or I can use Xbmc on my atv2 and can play the films without transcoding.

gmail

Novice Member
I just want easy access like I do on my current wd mybook live 3tb drives , and pc back up I forgot to mention that

I'm new at the microserver thing
I would go for one of those two:
1. WHS2011 + Stablebit Drivepool - easy and cheep.
2. Roll your own Synology DiskStation for NAS - cheep.

Buggu

Standard Member
Brought a n54l but struggling to get linux on it. Tried almost everything from 2 different usb flash drives, formatting to fat32 and ntfs, tryng front and rear usb ports, using linuxlive usb creator and unetbootin but still get to the cd installation stage and get the error cd rom not found. Can anyone help before i go mad.

Ps. trying to install ubuntu 12.04.3 server.

tazg101

hi, just joined the n54l club :)

Most people have drives in multiples of two, is this the best method and way?

Also are WD RED the way to go?

Thanks,

The_Wierd

Any idea what I should be searching for on ebay mate? Not too sure of the specific RAM I need...

Cheers
I got this one on the recommendation of somewhere on this thread. Works fine next to the original 2GB stick.

INTEGRAL IN3T4GNZ PC3-10600 DDR3 PC Memory - 4 GB DIMM RAM Deals | Pcworld

I guess you need to search for PC3 10600 DDR3 ECC. Who knows if the ones on ebay will work, but looks like you can get some for a quid if you are lucky, so probably worth a punt.

cjed

Any idea what I should be searching for on ebay mate? Not too sure of the specific RAM I need...
That depends, the 2GB stick that HP ships with the N40L is a 240-pin PC3-10600 DDR3 unbuffered ECC device. If you want the same as is already fitted, that's what you want.

However, the HP Microservers will take both ECC and non-ECC memory (and they can usually be mixed), non-ECC is more common in consumer PCs and will be significantly cheaper than ECC. If you do decide to go for ECC RAM, do NOT get registered ECC - that won't work. Here's a link to Crucial's generic RAM that's suitable - well only the 2GB and 4GB (they're not cheap, but they are quality suppliers).

Oh, and the official spec. only supports up to 4GB sticks (giving a maximum of 8GB RAM). Some people have got 8GB sticks working, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss.

Last edited:

tazg101

Hi, i've added 2 WD Red 2TB drives to my N54L and used drive pool to bring them together. WHS 2011

I now have the following drives viewable by Explorer

C: Local
D: 172GB (Server folders are on here)
E: 1.81TB free
F: DrivePool 3.63GB free
G: 1.81TB free

Which folder does my server folders need to be on i.e the folders I save media to?

Confused in getting the basics of the drives setup. :confused:

Thanks

gmail

Novice Member
- Change DrivePool F letter to Z:
- Move server folders to Z:
- Marge D partition with C and remove D letter

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
Hi, i've added 2 WD Red 2TB drives to my N54L and used drive pool to bring them together. WHS 2011

I now have the following drives viewable by Explorer

C: Local
D: 172GB (Server folders are on here)
E: 1.81TB free
F: DrivePool 3.63GB free
G: 1.81TB free

Which folder does my server folders need to be on i.e the folders I save media to?

Confused in getting the basics of the drives setup. :confused:

Thanks
Your pooled drive (F) is the other 2 put together, so E+G=F
D will be the drive you installed the os on to, so if it's the 250gb one there's partitions on it, 80gb for the os on C and the rest is D for storage. So C+D=the 250gb drive

I'd put your data on F (the pooled drive), as you fill it the capacity will also reflect on the drives that make up the pool. Once you've moved the data you can repath from the dashboard. It's up to you what you do with the 170gb spare, it makes a nice backup for things like music or photos or you can add it to your pool

tazg101

Your pooled drive (F) is the other 2 put together, so E+G=F
D will be the drive you installed the os on to, so if it's the 250gb one there's partitions on it, 80gb for the os on C and the rest is D for storage. So C+D=the 250gb drive

I'd put your data on F (the pooled drive), as you fill it the capacity will also reflect on the drives that make up the pool. Once you've moved the data you can repath from the dashboard. It's up to you what you do with the 170gb spare, it makes a nice backup for things like music or photos or you can add it to your pool

Great thanks for the reply. What If I fill the F drive and one of the drives breaks, will I loose all data on that one drive?

aws1971

Novice Member
F is a virtual drive.
So yes if one drive breaks you lose the data on that drive.
The other data will be save

tazg101

For some reason my wdtv can access my music from the server but says no media found with video.

I have some video on the f drive just to test it. I've tried everything regarding the sharing options in windows but still can't get it to work. What else could it be?

Music and video on same drive but different folders.

cjed

For some reason my wdtv can access my music from the server but says no media found with video.

I have some video on the f drive just to test it. I've tried everything regarding the sharing options in windows but still can't get it to work. What else could it be?

Music and video on same drive but different folders.
How are you connecting the WDTV (Live ? ) to the server ? Are you using DLNA or Windows Shares ? If you are using DLNA it's probably the configuration of the DLNA server software.