Quantcast

HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L Owner's Thread *Part 5*

buglebum

Banned
That said, there's nothing wrong with using a Microserver to encode video if you don't care how long it takes. Mine sits there in a limited-CPU virtual machine quite happily converting videos. I only do a couple a week and my server is idle most of the time, so I figure leaving it to convert a couple of films overnight isn't much of an issue.
Definitely, but transcoding needs to be done in real time which just isn't possible except for extremely low resolutions not really watchable on a proper TV.

wasp23

Standard Member
Hi guys

I have fitted the asus 6450 into the nl40 and installed total media theatre 6 and power dvd 13 ultimate and they both play 34gb mkv ok but stutter when playing bluray iso from virtual drive- dvd fab stuttered with mkv as well
Cpu utilisation 100 percent
I'm using windows server 2008 with latest drivers and direct x 11

Any ideas from you guys with the same setup

buglebum

Banned
Hi guys

I have fitted the asus 6450 into the nl40 and installed total media theatre 6 and power dvd 13 ultimate and they both play 34gb mkv ok but stutter when playing bluray iso from virtual drive- dvd fab stuttered with mkv as well
Cpu utilisation 100 percent
I'm using windows server 2008 with latest drivers and direct x 11

Any ideas from you guys with the same setup
Could be...
Bad ISO rip, pirated version of AnyDVD HD, what virtual drive?

wasp23

Standard Member
Bubble gum

I have the trial version of both software's as I was testing before purchasing .

I could get neither software to work until I added the feature to install wmp on the server.

I have used daemon tools and dvd fab virtual drives

I will have two more bluray files to try tonight 1x 2d and 1x 3d bluray iso and I will see how it goes .

I was thinking of wiping server 2008 and installing windows 7 ultimate ?

The file I used was 44gb in size and was the 3d/2d version of a film I'm not sure of the bit rate.

When playing a 33gb mkv file the processor was using 70% utilization and played without issue, however when the blur-ay played it used 100% processor power and and skipped, but the pre intro on the bluray played fine.

Thank you for all your help its much appreciated.

buglebum

Banned
Bubble gum

I have the trial version of both software's as I was testing before purchasing .

I could get neither software to work until I added the feature to install wmp on the server.

I have used daemon tools and dvd fab virtual drives

I will have two more bluray files to try tonight 1x 2d and 1x 3d bluray iso and I will see how it goes .

I was thinking of wiping server 2008 and installing windows 7 ultimate ?

The file I used was 44gb in size and was the 3d/2d version of a film I'm not sure of the bit rate.

When playing a 33gb mkv file the processor was using 70% utilization and played without issue, however when the blur-ay played it used 100% processor power and and skipped, but the pre intro on the bluray played fine.

Thank you for all your help its much appreciated.
This doesn't sound right at all, CPU use should be in the mid 20s tops when playing a bluray or MKV etc as modern graphics cards like yours take the burden off the CPU.

Give "Virtual Clone Drive" a go, it's made by same people as AnyDVD and is free and simple and is known to give no problems.

dodgyd

Re transcoding. My n54l is used for Plex, it transcodes .wtv (large recordings from Windows Media Centre) files to various clients around the house (iPad, iPhone 4, Roku LT) no problem. I notice that technically, the n36 and n40 are below the minimum CPU specs set by Plex.

cjed

Re transcoding. My n54l is used for Plex, it transcodes .wtv (large recordings from Windows Media Centre) files to various clients around the house (iPad, iPhone 4, Roku LT) no problem. I notice that technically, the n36 and n40 are below the minimum CPU specs set by Plex.
There are two aspects to transcoding media files. The easiest (from a computational point of view) is re-packaging the content in a new container, or extracting and sending the content via DLNA. The N40L/N54L are certainly up to doing that. The second is re-encoding the content - I don't think the N40L/N54L are powerful enough to do that.

dahamsta

Standard Member
What type of content, resolution etc?
Everything I throw at it. The only problem I've ever had is high-res matroskas (and possibly a couple of other odd formats), however this was more down to ps3mediaserver being a wagon to configure more than anything else.

I installed Plex to test a couple of months ago in preparation for the N54L I bought to set up as a proper HTPC - I currently use a PS3 with an N40L streaming to it from somewhere else in the house - and that's never balked at anything.

buglebum

Banned
There are two aspects to transcoding media files. The easiest (from a computational point of view) is re-packaging the content in a new container, or extracting and sending the content via DLNA. The N40L/N54L are certainly up to doing that. The second is re-encoding the content - I don't think the N40L/N54L are powerful enough to do that.
Everything I throw at it. The only problem I've ever had is high-res matroskas (and possibly a couple of other odd formats), however this was more down to ps3mediaserver being a wagon to configure more than anything else.

I installed Plex to test a couple of months ago in preparation for the N54L I bought to set up as a proper HTPC - I currently use a PS3 with an N40L streaming to it from somewhere else in the house - and that's never balked at anything.
That's the thing though, that isn't transcoding. It's just changing the container format.

ps3mediaserver stuff just wants a container that the PS3 likes, it's not the actual format of the video stream itself so no encoding/decoding...I think at least :confused:

wasp23

Standard Member
I'm playing directly from the server to the TV via Hdmi to cut out the amp and streaming having any effect on the playback.

Do you think swapping OS from server 20008 to Windows 7 ultimate will have any effect ?

Can anyone with the nl40 and asus 6450 graphics card playing bluray iso directly let me have the utilization of the processor when playing back the file.

Last edited:

wasp23

Standard Member
swapping os from windows 2008 to windows 7 ultimate resolved the issue

cpu utilization now 30%

cheers for all your help guys

moraybank

XBMCBUNTU, I made a Live USB stick, and I can get it to boot into XBMC but then after a few seconds the screen goes black. Any ideas what's wrong and how to remedy it? Id say it's a graphics card problem as it's fine with the onboard VGA output.

Would the GT430 overheating cause it to shut itself down? I took the card out and it was scorching hot? Think I'll need to but thermal paste and see if that helps.

Last edited:

shawry

Standard Member
Hi,

Has anyone replaced the 40mm fan in the PSU? the noise from my N40L (with the original PSU fan) is noticeable from a few feet away.

If so can you tell me the type of fan that you used to replace the original fan, there seems to be a lot of options out there and i'm not sure which one to get.

Cheers,
Chris

MilhouseVH

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the 40mm fan in the PSU? the noise from my N40L (with the original PSU fan) is noticeable from a few feet away.

If so can you tell me the type of fan that you used to replace the original fan, there seems to be a lot of options out there and i'm not sure which one to get.

Cheers,
Chris
Papst 412.

Rather than repeat myself, these are the most relevant posts on the replacement in chronological sequence: post #1, post #2 and post #3.

moraybank

XBMCBUNTU, I made a Live USB stick, and I can get it to boot into XBMC but then after a few seconds the screen goes black. Any ideas what's wrong and how to remedy it? Id say it's a graphics card problem as it's fine with the onboard VGA output.

Would the GT430 overheating cause it to shut itself down? I took the card out and it was scorching hot? Think I'll need to but thermal paste and see if that helps.
Turned out it was the grahics card. A clean up, dust off and new application of thermal paste has sorted it out. I had to butcher the fan to a degree in order for it to fit in the case (dremel off the bottom and move it further up the heatsink). Not had a chance to try out the fan mod yet

buglegum and any other GT430 owners, have you had any issues with your GT430 and stuttering frames in XBMC? I have been testing mine out tonight (Xbmcbuntu), not to an amp just straight into a tv via hdmi. I've noticed that it's not as smooth as my Dune 301 with some 24p content. I notice slight stuttering, especially on mkv's I've ripped with HD/FLAC audio?

Some of my rips get displayed at 60hz instead of 24p which is strange considering they were all ripped using makeMKV. The dune has no problem playing these at 24p. I suspect this may be an XBMC bug though.

Also what temps do you get from your GT430 in XBMC? (frodo if possible)

shawry

Standard Member

MilhouseVH

Thanks for this, do you think I would be OK connecting a 5v fan directly to the PSU (I realise I would need to solder this onto the existing wires), the PSU seems to give out a similar voltage.

I was looking to maybe get one of these 5v fans

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PM2 - 40mm [ITR-PM-2]
The fan header in the PSU appears to be running off 5V but outputting slightly less than that (4.8V) so I guess that fan might work - it has a starting voltage requirement of 5V and working range of 4.5V-13.8V. If your voltage is substantially lower than 5V, it might not be enough to start the fan.

In terms of performance, the Noiseblocker seems to be on par with the Papst 412 - looking at the Noiseblocker spec sheet it's about 5.4CFM/17.7dBA compared with the Papst 6CFM/18dBA @12V.

Assuming you have no problems starting the fan, it should be fine.

shawry

Standard Member
The fan header in the PSU appears to be running off 5V but outputting slightly less than that (4.8V) so I guess that fan might work - it has a starting voltage requirement of 5V and working range of 4.5V-13.8V. If your voltage is substantially lower than 5V, it might not be enough to start the fan.

In terms of performance, the Noiseblocker seems to be on par with the Papst 412 - looking at the Noiseblocker spec sheet it's about 5.4CFM/17.7dBA compared with the Papst 6CFM/18dBA @12V.

Assuming you have no problems starting the fan, it should be fine.
Thanks again,

I've ordered one of these Noiseblocker fans, hopefully it will start off of 5v (ish)

Cheers

craney

Standard Member
Does anyone run any of there media through virtual machines? I have been considering setting up a VM to host just all my music and stream it through the house via home sharing so I don't have to clutter up my main server with it all.

I just cant make up my mind if I do try it what OS would be best to use? Any ideas guys

moraybank

I thought Wake-On-Lan was problematic with these? I just had a play with it now waking it up from my iPad and it worked first time! Brilliant!

Buckster

I thought Wake On LAN was fine on these - just annoyingly slow as no S3 sleep :(

Buckster

moraybank

Without S3 sleep, what state are you guys waking-on-LAN from?
I shut my microserver down from Nas4Free's webGUI so whatever state that leaves it in!? Im not too clued up on all this, the microserver power button is illuminated orange.
All I did was enable WOL in the BIOS (Russian hacked version), went into lan management in Nas4Free and got the built in NIC's mac no.

Added the mac no, and ip address to an iPad app called mWOL and it booted.

I may have spoke too soon though, my other microserver which runs XBMCbuntu wont WOL, haha :rotfl: typical

unmesh

Novice Member
Without S3 sleep, what state are you guys waking-on-LAN from?
from Hibernate
I shut my microserver down from Nas4Free's webGUI so whatever state that leaves it in!? Im not too clued up on all this, the microserver power button is illuminated orange.
Thanks. Unfortunately XPEnology does not support system hibernation though it will happily shutdown and restart the system on a schedule.

Last edited:

joelk2

I've had my server a few weeks now and it's finally up and running how I want. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374099666.326358.jpg

Does anyone else use pooling software? I'm using drive bender.