HP ProLiant MicroServer N40L Owner's Thread *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, moving disks up to the top bay can be done later, you might need a reinstall of your OS though, worst case scenario!

What I'd do is: when you upgrade your memory, plug a SATA cable into the motherboard and get it routed properly so the other end is accessible from the optical bay. That way, if you decide to move a drive later, you won't have to access the motherboard again.

I'd also make sure just one drive is in the server when you do your OS install. Then add your 2Tb in afterwards.

Ok - thanks Rich...think I know where you're coming from there...without seeing the server I'm just not familiar with the internal bits and optical bays (and I'm not really techy in this respect). I presume I can just pick up a standard Sata cable when I purchase the server (there are no other cheeky parameters out to fox me? :) )

...and are those Kingston RAM's good to go too?

Ok...I'm diving in...wish me luck :)

BTW - was that free delivery voucher code knocking around this thread?

Cheers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Should be OK, although depends on how you thread the cable through your server! I think I got one of these:

50cm Serial ATA SATA II 3.0Gb Right Angled Data Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Ok - I'll do that one instead, just to make sure...and just to clarify - I do not currently require the 'Molex -> SATA power adaptor, and a 3.5" to 5.25" drive adaptor kit' until I think about adding disks at a later date (or does part of that go into the motherboard also)?

Many thanks Richard.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nope, you're all good with that!

When you come to install the memory/SATA cable, do some research beforehand. Check out Tim's Tiddler build here, it's on the first page, plus others, there are pictures to help you. The cable that gets everyone is the SAS one which seems to be superglued to the motherboard. If you push the catch in and press down at the same time, it comes away without too much force.

Nope, you're all good with that!

When you come to install the memory/SATA cable, do some research beforehand. Check out Tim's Tiddler build here, it's on the first page, plus others, there are pictures to help you. The cable that gets everyone is the SAS one which seems to be superglued to the motherboard. If you push the catch in and press down at the same time, it comes away without too much force.

Excellent - all purchased bar the Ram (that Kingston ok?) and the N40L whichh has jumped back up in price this afternoon (a tenner).

Cold feeling (just had mail from friend) that I might have been better going for the 7400rpm....but the price is simply prohibitive for me. As long as I can stream DVD's/Blu Rays via this (and whatever media driver I decide on) I'm happy.

Will look through those RAM threads...I'll need to :)

Huge thanks.

That's where I've ordered mine from, should be here tomorrow :)

I just found a free delivery code on the net.

If you read the t&c's it mentions it has to be delivered by the 31st i think? Think i will go a check.
No it doesn't, it say's

Orders must be invoiced between 1 November 2011 and 31 May 2012

So as long as it's been paid for and the invoice will show the necessay date, so you could buy on the 31st and as long as payment is processed the same day you'll be ok, and you then have a further month to submit the form

The closing date for receipt of claim forms is 30 June 2012. No claims will be accepted after this date

However all this is academic, as it's 99.9% certain the cashback offer will be extended a further month as it has for the previous 18 months on both this model and the previous N36L model.

Last edited:
Quick question please..

I am thinking of getting another ethernet card to go in this box to make 2, the second one will be connected to my Second broadband as I have 2 (This will be mainly for downloading from the internet) the original port that is built into the box will be my Main router network which I have all my home computers tv, PS3 etc all connected to.

When I am downloading on my main network, internet access is very limited for computers on the network so I am thinking if I can just dedicate one to downloading and the other for casual and internet streaming....

IS this possible at all?

No it doesn't, it say's

So as long as it's been paid for and the invoice will show the necessay date, so you could buy on the 31st and as long as payment is processed the same day you'll be ok, and you then have a further month to submit the form

However all this is academic, as it's 99.9% certain the cashback offer will be extended a further month as it has for the previous 18 months on both this model and the previous N36L model.

Under the how to claim section of the HP cash back form it does say

"Product must have been delivered and invoiced between 1 November 2011 and 31 May 2012."

not sure which is correct but i have just ordered mine from ebuyer for £239, £10 more than this lunch time!!!!

not moaning about the price still a bargin.

Cheers

Just received my N40L, I think I'm going to go with OMV.

Can anyone tell me that's actually using OMV with the miniDLNA plugin how much RAM they are using?

I'm happy to shove 8GB in the unit, but if it's not going to be used there's no point really.

I'll be streaming full BR rips over gig network to a Popcorn A210.

Cheers,
Kudos

I use OMV, and put the full 8gb in. Streaming to my iPad is using 3% of available memory.

Got my Microserver a couple of weeks ago from Serversplus, £240 inc VAT and free delivery, great service. HP have already emailed me to say my cashback cheque is on it's way.

Now I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. For now I've bumped the memory up to 4GB with some RAM I had lying around, and filled it with 4 old 250 GB disks. Still waiting for HD prices to come down a bit more before I fill it with some 2TB Samsungs. I've installed Ubuntu Server which is running OwnCloud, Transmission, Mediatomb for DLNA and Samba.

Anyway since I like playing with various operating systems I'll probably end up ditching that setup and installing ESXi. I also would like to have a play with ZFS but I've learned ECC memory is a must for it so 8GB of that is next on my shopping list.

Loving it so far, for £100 after taking into account the VAT and cashback these are fantastic value.

Got my Microserver a couple of weeks ago from Serversplus, £240 inc VAT and free delivery, great service. HP have already emailed me to say my cashback cheque is on it's way.

Now I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. For now I've bumped the memory up to 4GB with some RAM I had lying around, and filled it with 4 old 250 GB disks. Still waiting for HD prices to come down a bit more before I fill it with some 2TB Samsungs. I've installed Ubuntu Server which is running OwnCloud, Transmission, Mediatomb for DLNA and Samba.

Anyway since I like playing with various operating systems I'll probably end up ditching that setup and installing ESXi. I also would like to have a play with ZFS but I've learned ECC memory is a must for it so 8GB of that is next on my shopping list.

Loving it so far, for £100 after taking into account the VAT and cashback these are fantastic value.

Wow....I'm going to have some fun...I'll level with you, 90% of the names/programs you've listed above I've never heard of never mind what they do! :)

Some good homework set there though...I'll get researching.

Got it up and running.
Only thing I notice with whs2011 and when sabnzbd starts to download the CPU hogs at 100%.
When the server is running idle its still around 50%.

I'm going with Win7. Having had a quick look, I'm not sure what WHS would offer me.

I'm going with Win7. Having had a quick look, I'm not sure what WHS would offer me.

Much cheaper if u have to buy.

Already got Win7 kicking around. Wasn't sure if I'd missed out on anything obvious :)

I'm running WHS2011, it's pretty good and you can run pretty much anything you want on it. I've got the usual Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, Serviio etc.

If you're tempted by Lights Out but don't want to pay the licence fee, you can knock up a DIY solution yourself with a bit of research.

It's here :D

Quieter than I thought it would be although I am sitting in the office right now, currently installing Win7. Hopefully it should be fairly inconspicuous at home :)

hey guys

I just recently bought an N36L and have been planning a number of upgrades to it after reading numerous threads about it including this one. One of these was to put in a gpu capable of running xbmc and 1080p playback. To this end, i was researching buying a geforce gtx 210 when a friend of mine offered to give me an old 210 card he wasnt using. "great" i thought until I got it home and tried to fit it to find that the heatsink gets in the way of the motherboard guide rails on the left side of the case.

I can find no way to remove this guiderail as it is quite securely fixed to the case, nor can i remove the heatsink on the gpu as it will cause it to melt...

i cannot seem reposition the heatsink on the card, nor can i seem to find any alternate smaller heatsink to fit to it.

has anyone encountered this problem with this card or any other that wouldnt fit? would anyone have any suggestions?

the card itself is here:

Inno3D GeForce 210 1GB SDDR3 VGA

any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to getting this up and running and would prefer not to have to buy another card for it.

also of note: i have not been able to power the machine on yet as I am installing windows home server 2011 (that requires 2gb ram) and i am waiting on delivery of a 4gb ram stick to take it from current 1gb to 5gb

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom