hp proliant microserver n40l and MAC

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by theendisnye, Aug 6, 2012.

1. theendisnye

theendisnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just built my proliant server with WHS 2011 and my window PC (Windows 7 64 bit) sees it fine and connects ok.

My Mac Book Pro (Mountain Lion) has downloaded the connector (I had to use the address rather than the server name) but the Windows Server Launchpad just sits with the wait icon spinning after I enter in the username and password.

I had gone through the connection process and The MacBook can see the drive in finder and can be seen in WHS2011 dashboard as offline with no alerts.

The laptop is WIFI connected, can see and connect to my Synology NAS, the PC is hard wired.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to get the two connected. I am not trying to use Time Machine, any help appreciated?

Steve

2. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Are you using SMB or AFP to connect from the Macbook? i.e. smb://192.168.0.xx or afp://192.168.0.xx

I have a QNAP NAS and use the SMB protocol to access the NAS as AFP causes connection issues.

Col.

3. theendisnye

theendisnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I don't know I haven't been requested to enter in any information regarding SMB or AFP from what I can recall. I just enter the username and password in the connector window.

I will have a look further and see what I can find out, thanks for the pointer. Steve

4. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Steve,

There are three ways to connect to my QNAP. One is via the 'QFinder' app' which is specific to the QNAP and provides a web based interface for access to Administration and other services such as 'Web File Manager'.

The second method is via 'Connect To Server' in the 'Finder' menu under 'Go'. It is here that I connect to the NAS for normal file maintenance such as copying etc.

It is here I enter the IP address of the NAS.
    [​IMG]

The third method is to connect via Finder/Network

I have always found the second method more reliable for me. It's habit I guess.
    Hope this helps.

Col.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  5. theendisnye

theendisnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you I have certainly managed to now connect to the WHS2011 device and been able to move some files across, I used smb. I would also like to see if I can get WHS2011 Launchpad to work longer term as that will also enable me to automate backups.

I will so a bit more investigation but this is a major step forward for me.
    Steve