HP ProLiant MicroServer N36L Owner's Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2scoops

Novice Member
I added two 1.5TB Sata Hard Drives to the existing 250GB. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate and followed this guide to setup raid.

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows-home-server/how-to-setup-a-raid-array-on-a-hp-microserver/

I added the two 1.5TB drives into an RAID 1 array and rebooted, now the server will not boot into Windows.

I don't want to have to reinstall Windows, should I forget the on board RAID and just use software raid, AMD raidxpert?

I should add that if I turn the SATA mode back to IDE it boots up fine again.

Will the onboard RAID be significantly better than software RAID?

Last edited:

Demon

Regarding not booting, as I have found, depending on what IDE mode you set in the bios, the boot order of the HDD's switches around, so I'd just check that when you put it into RAID mode, there is a section that determines your HDD order, make sure your 250Gb is listed first, mine always swaps around when I change modes, so that may well be the issue!

The on-board RAID is actually 'Fake-RAID', it's still largely using your CPU to do it's magic, and it's largely regarded as being not really quicker then software RAID..

jameson_uk

Novice Member
OK now have a server sat here as an early birthday present to myself but someone seems to have bought the worlds stock of WD RE4 2TB hard drives...

djcla

Can u use 3tb drives like any other drives or are the 3+ tb ones different? Also any one got the dimensions I can't see them on hp site

alasrati

Novice Member
Weight & dimensions: 31.5 x 37.47 x 39.98 cm, 7710 g

Probably wouldn't use 3TB drives myself as they are more than twice as expensive as 2TB for only 50% more capacity. 3TB is ~£140, 2TB is ~£60 (got two recently for £55 each).

Although if you need more than 10TB (or say 8TB with some redundancy) in the same box then it might be worth it. However, if you need that much storage, you might be better off getting a larger server with more room and more SATA ports (or an expansion card).

wiz

Distinguished Member
Dimensions (HxWxD)
(with feet)
10.5 x 8.3 x 10.2 in (26.7x 21.0 x 26.0 cm)

alasrati

Novice Member
Assuming you measured that yourself wiz as you have one. If so, then my source (Crescent Electronics) has dodgy data.

PAH

Novice Member
However, if you need that much storage, you might be better off getting a larger server with more room and more SATA ports (or an expansion card).

Or two of these microservers! Hard to beat at the price after the cashback.

Noticed ebuyer had another 120 in stock last night after nearly running out yesterday. Now down to 115. These are going like hot cakes.

Going to get one myself as a second NAS to backup my existing one. Then I don't have to bother with raid, and have the added security of the data being in two physical places for better protection against theft, fire, flood, etc.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Assuming you measured that yourself wiz as you have one. If so, then my source (Crescent Electronics) has dodgy data.
It was straight from the HP data sheet :smashin:

Get mine next week

gijimmy

Standard Member
Hi, I would be interested to hear from anyone running esxi on their microserver. I am having great difficulties with mine. I have tried installing from USB and optical drive. Both with no success (although the same disk image works in VMware (on my mac) and other pc's boot from both the cd and usb I have made.

All I get when booting is a black screen after the F10/F12 bios options.

Is it possible that only having one stick on ram (4gb) installed could be the cause of the problem? (although on another pc i get the black and yellow screen warning about incompatible hardware) - this is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks - frustratedly!

alasrati

Novice Member
I bought:

Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 2 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1333 MHz / PC3-10600 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - ECC (x1) , £17.99 + £0.00 shipping

From base.com

To give 3GB of ECC RAM.

robfitzp

Novice Member
Thinking about one of these to run vortex box, which it would appear can now rip DVD and bluray to mkv as well. Would the processor in this be powerful enough to deal with a bluray rip?

jameson_uk

Novice Member
robfitzp said:
Would the processor in this be powerful enough to deal with a bluray rip?
Do you mean rip or re-encode? To just rip is just copying the data. If you are re-encoding the video it will work but would be very slow

no0

Standard Member
Would unRAID be the best OS to install to turn this Microserver into a NAS and succesfully stream to my WDTV without any loss of data, even if a HDD decides to fail?

Last edited:

dec-pvr

Novice Member
robfitzp said:
Thinking about one of these to run vortex box, which it would appear can now rip DVD and bluray to mkv as well. Would the processor in this be powerful enough to deal with a bluray rip?
Vortexbox uses MakeMKV to rip dvds and blu-rays. It only rips the original files and places them within a MKV container.

Basically that means no re-compression. So the processor load would be relatively low - it's more a case of moving data.

This box would be excellent for Vortexbox, I'd use one for it myself if I hadn't already built my own one previously ;-).

I've also got one of these little servers but intend to stick a GT430 & DVB-S/T card in it and use it with MythTV/XBMC for a PVR/streamer.

robfitzp

Novice Member
Thanks chaps. Don't want to do anything to the bluray other than get the film and sound track off disk onto hdd. One of these with 4 2tb drives and a bluray drive would be excellent for less than 400 quid.

xboxshankly

Standard Member
Does anybody know of a cheap sound card that I can install on to the Microserver? Or is it better to install a graphics card that has a sound card as well?

I was hoping to install Itunes on the Microserver (currently running WHS) and put a sound card in so I can take the sound directly into my AV receiver and control it remotely using the ITunes app on my iphone.

alasrati

Novice Member
If you are using an A/V receiver, then a £30 graphics card with sound over HDMI will be best.

If not, then the £30 Behringer UCA202 is an external USB DAC with RCA phono outputs.

xboxshankly

Standard Member
do you know of any good graphics cards with sound over hdmi that will work well with the microserver, due to the limited cards out there because of the half size pci slots?

djcla

when my box arrives i have decided to give freenas a try and found a program called UNetbootin that in theory lets you burn the full live cd iso to a a bootable usb drive instead of CD, i then plan to install to the internal usb stick. just in case that info is useful to any of you.

djcla

when my box arrives i have decided to give freenas a try and found a program called UNetbootin that in theory lets you burn the full live cd iso to a a bootable usb drive instead of CD, i then plan to install to the internal usb stick. just in case that info is useful to any of you.
That never worked for me so used a program called flashboot to creat a bootable USB from iso

wiz

Distinguished Member
Anyone know where i can get windows Home server cheeeep?
:lease:

Status
Not open for further replies.